Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Ultrasounds Before Abortion Law

Posted by on Feb. 12, 2012 at 11:55 AM
  • 85 Replies

Virginia is either trying to pass the law or has already passed the law (can't remember if it has hit the house yet or not) requiring an ultrasound in order to have an abortion.

Alot of prochoicers are in uproars about this because they feel that this is one step closer to outlawing abortion.

I agree with it, not so the potential mother can get weepy seeing the baby inside of her but because there have been so many "abortions" done one women who weren't even pregnant!  It's true.  There's been documentaries out there all over the place where owners who have previously shut down their business admit that they knew the girl wasn't pregnant, and pretended to give her an abortion anyways and in one documentary they admitted the non-pregnant girl ended up dieing from a procedure that wasn't even real!

What are your thoughts on the requirements of an ultrasound before abortion?

by on Feb. 12, 2012 at 11:55 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
starlight1968
by on Feb. 12, 2012 at 12:35 PM

Texas has this law and I do not like the idea of forcing someone to do something they do not want...If a woman wants an abortion she's most likely been through all the hoops and ups/downs in decisions. 

Thankfully the person doing the ultra. and the doctor/nurse do not have to MAKE the woman look/listen to it.  Stupid to even do it or make them pay for it isn't it?? 

Anyways, I see your point that if it's not a "strong positive" it's a good thing..but if it is a "strong positive" don't bother...

rkoloms
by on Feb. 12, 2012 at 12:46 PM
3 moms liked this

The law will raise the cost of elective abortions, forcing poor women to seek out backstreet abortions, and winding up maimed, infertile, or bleeding to death. Yes another example of loving the fetus and hating the child

fantasticfour
by Grumpy on Feb. 12, 2012 at 1:16 PM

Hating the child?  There is also a law on the table that goes along with it saying insurances need to cover abortions.  Would that make a difference in your views?

Quoting rkoloms:

The law will raise the cost of elective abortions, forcing poor women to seek out backstreet abortions, and winding up maimed, infertile, or bleeding to death. Yes another example of loving the fetus and hating the child

fantasticfour
by Grumpy on Feb. 12, 2012 at 1:19 PM
2 moms liked this

Strong postive?  Strong positive that they are pregnant or strong positive that they want the abortion?  Do prochoicers not worry about the mother's health and whether or not there is some underlieing issue that the doctors need to know about before doing it? 

I'm not a prochoicer but I allow everyone their say.  I think it's a good thing.  I've never had an abortion but know several people who did.  They showed up, had the abortion and was done.  There wasn't blood work involved or anything!  Even to get tonsils out there's blood work involved! 

I'm not thinking it is a good idea to guilt trip women into seeing the baby and changing their mind, but not only determine if there is a risk to the mother but also to make sure that they are indeed pregnant. 

Quoting starlight1968:

Texas has this law and I do not like the idea of forcing someone to do something they do not want...If a woman wants an abortion she's most likely been through all the hoops and ups/downs in decisions. 

Thankfully the person doing the ultra. and the doctor/nurse do not have to MAKE the woman look/listen to it.  Stupid to even do it or make them pay for it isn't it?? 

Anyways, I see your point that if it's not a "strong positive" it's a good thing..but if it is a "strong positive" don't bother...

rkoloms
by on Feb. 12, 2012 at 2:02 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting fantasticfour:

Hating the child?  There is also a law on the table that goes along with it saying insurances need to cover abortions.  Would that make a difference in your views?

Quoting rkoloms:

In this instance, hating the child, is hating the woman with an unplanned pregnancy that she wants to terminate, cannot afford to terminate, and may take desperate actions to terminate. 

The movement to legalize abortions was led by doctors, mostly working in emergency rooms, who were sick of seeing women maimed, infected, and bleeding from botched back-street abortions. If abortion is outlawed, abortions will not stop happening; only safe ones will. 

Angeleyes_6
by on Feb. 12, 2012 at 2:08 PM
3 moms liked this
I agree with this. She should know what she is killing! This is one step in the right direction. She should have to see what she's about to destroy and hear a heart she's about to stop. Maybe she might use a condom,birth control or keep her legs shut then. Abortion is not birth control its murder!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
fantasticfour
by Grumpy on Feb. 12, 2012 at 2:11 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting rkoloms:

Quoting fantasticfour:

Quoting rkoloms:

In this instance, hating the child, is hating the woman with an unplanned pregnancy that she wants to terminate, cannot afford to terminate, and may take desperate actions to terminate. 

The movement to legalize abortions was led by doctors, mostly working in emergency rooms, who were sick of seeing women maimed, infected, and bleeding from botched back-street abortions. If abortion is outlawed, abortions will not stop happening; only safe ones will. 

So the child is any pregnant woman who doesn't want to be pregnant?  I understand the back alley abortions and how dangerous they are, but have you really looked at the legit ones too?  Complications through abortion can be prevented or at least tried to be prevented by simply doing the blood work and the ultrasound. 

Before they work on my teeth, they do an xray.  Does this mean I am going to go to a back alley dentist because I need a cavity filled and I can't afford the cost of an xray?

I look at this from a purly medical view.  I know that the number of complications and deaths from abortion (to mothers) are grossly under reported.  I think perhaps that the ultrasound will make this number decrease whether it is reported or not.

I'm not taking a stand on this by imposing my moral views of the matter.  If that was the case, I would be taking a different approach.

fantasticfour
by Grumpy on Feb. 12, 2012 at 2:13 PM
2 moms liked this

I agree, but they are given the oppurtunity to refuse to see the ultrasound as well.  Unfortuently, there are failures in all birth control (except having sex) and then there is the problem with rape.  I honestly feel that with the birth control provided and the day after pill there is really no reason for abortions.

Quoting Angeleyes_6:

I agree with this. She should know what she is killing! This is one step in the right direction. She should have to see what she's about to destroy and hear a heart she's about to stop. Maybe she might use a condom,birth control or keep her legs shut then. Abortion is not birth control its murder!

rkoloms
by on Feb. 12, 2012 at 2:15 PM
3 moms liked this

Quoting fantasticfour:

Quoting rkoloms:

Quoting fantasticfour:

Quoting rkoloms:

So the child is any pregnant woman who doesn't want to be pregnant?  I understand the back alley abortions and how dangerous they are, but have you really looked at the legit ones too?  Complications through abortion can be prevented or at least tried to be prevented by simply doing the blood work and the ultrasound. 

Before they work on my teeth, they do an xray.  Does this mean I am going to go to a back alley dentist because I need a cavity filled and I can't afford the cost of an xray?

I look at this from a purly medical view.  I know that the number of complications and deaths from abortion (to mothers) are grossly under reported.  I think perhaps that the ultrasound will make this number decrease whether it is reported or not.

I'm not taking a stand on this by imposing my moral views of the matter.  If that was the case, I would be taking a different approach.

there is a much higher percentage of complications in a term pregnancy, than in an early medical abortion. A pregnant woman planning to carry to term can legally refuse an ultrasound. Why shouldn't a woman having an abortion have the same option?

Angeleyes_6
by on Feb. 12, 2012 at 2:57 PM
3 moms liked this
We are in very educated times. Girls and women know that sex equals babies and no birth control is 100% the only way to assure you won't get pregnant is not having sex. If u do its a chance u take. And no innocent life should be murdered cause a woman was careless. Honestly rape and incest is a extremely small percent of abortions. I feel there is no justification for murder.

Quoting fantasticfour:

I agree, but they are given the oppurtunity to refuse to see the ultrasound as well.  Unfortuently, there are failures in all birth control (except having sex) and then there is the problem with rape.  I honestly feel that with the birth control provided and the day after pill there is really no reason for abortions.

Quoting Angeleyes_6:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)