Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Visitation of children of divorced/seperated parents

Posted by on Feb. 12, 2012 at 1:24 PM
  • 24 Replies

Poll

Question: Bare minimum requirements

Options:

A room to themselves

A room shared with same sex child

A room shared with opposite sex sibling

A room shared with opposite sex child (soon to be step sibling)

A room shared with opposite sex child (never to be related)

A room shared with parent of same sex and spouse/significant other

A room shared with ONLY parent

A couch

Shared living room space with siblings

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 51

View Results

I know that no one likes to think about getting a divorce but it does happen.  A lot.  Alot of times when a couple divorces or seperates, it is common that one has to start all over (the other one got the house and furniture).  Usually the one who starts over is the noncustodial parent.

So my question is this.  What are your bare minimum requirements for your child to have every other weekend visitation at the other parents?

If other, please specify.

by on Feb. 12, 2012 at 1:24 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
starlight1968
by on Feb. 12, 2012 at 10:13 PM

before we got custody of my stepdaughter, we had a room just for her.

KeriAZ
by on Feb. 12, 2012 at 10:49 PM
When my kids use to visit their idiot father they had one room to share. But one usually slept on the couch
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
bizzeemom2717
by on Feb. 12, 2012 at 10:53 PM
Ideally of course room to themselves, but sharing with same sex sibling would be fine too.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
rkoloms
by on Feb. 13, 2012 at 7:48 AM
1 mom liked this

I believe this would be established in mediation?

fantasticfour
by Grumpy on Feb. 13, 2012 at 8:00 AM

Actually I learned what mediation is.  Mediation cannot determine anything, only a judge can.  In mediation if the parents agree then the mediator is permitted to inform the judge that they agreed on something and the judge can rule on that.  However if one parent wants the child to have a room and the other parent wants the child to sleep on the couch, mediation can't do anything about it.

Quoting rkoloms:

boys2men2soon
by Kimberly on Feb. 13, 2012 at 9:42 AM

I think it depends on the age of the children.   In our State the rule of thumb is each child must have a bed.

My step kids used to spend weekends with us.    Our son, of course, lived with us.   We had bunkbeds in his room for him and stepson.   Step daughter had the other room to herself and her brother (step son) preferred to sleep in her room.   Later, when we had another baby, her room turned into a nursery, we put a sofa bed in the living room and a futon in the family room.   She had her choice of where to sleep. (Both step kids were teens by that time).

momofne
by on Feb. 13, 2012 at 10:40 AM

Thats correct. If the parents can not agree then it is up to the court. Most times you will keep going through medation (and money) until there is some sort of agreement.

Quoting fantasticfour:

Actually I learned what mediation is.  Mediation cannot determine anything, only a judge can.  In mediation if the parents agree then the mediator is permitted to inform the judge that they agreed on something and the judge can rule on that.  However if one parent wants the child to have a room and the other parent wants the child to sleep on the couch, mediation can't do anything about it.

Quoting rkoloms:

momofne
by on Feb. 13, 2012 at 10:41 AM

Both my boys shared a king sized bed during our seperation and then as they got older the oldest started taking the couch or sometimes my ex would.

02nana07
by on Feb. 13, 2012 at 10:53 AM

I don't think a parent should be expected to have a room for a child who visits  every other weekend that would be a waste of space that most people couldn't afford. 

I don't see a problem sharing a room with a same sex child as long as they get along.

If they don't then give one child the room and the other the couch, maybe alternate weekends where the visiting child gets the couch one weekend and the child that lives there gets it the next visit.

I know when a child has a friend spend the night they don't get their own room so why should a child who is visiting their parent because they should be to busy to spend much time in there anyway. 

JC2223
by Member on Feb. 13, 2012 at 1:46 PM
1 mom liked this

I think each state has it's own rules for sleeping accommodations for children based on age. When we first moved, my SD's slept on the pull out couch until we got our house. Then we had a room for them with their own beds.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)