Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Moms with Teens Moms with Teens

why do i feel guilty? ?

Posted by on Mar. 2, 2012 at 10:40 PM
  • 29 Replies
1 mom liked this
My daughter is 12..will be 13 in June.. well lately she has had an attitude at home and st school..the last 2 mos ive got 3 calls..1 from the principal and her math and science teacher..all saying shes bein disrespectful..bein loud in class..so I been taking. Her phone and ipod away and grounding her..but only for 2 days or so..well today I get a call from another teacher saying the same damn thing..I wanted to scream..we talked to her asking her what's wrong,why is she all of a sudden acting like this.. all she says is idk!!!! She wont talk to me but I did get out of her that she feels like she don't fit in at the school..which I'm not sure why cuz she has a ton of friends..so I dont believe that.. shes been at this school since the start of her 7th grade yr and it seems she's getting in more trouble than at her last school..we only moved 15 min away ..but she still had to switch schools..well to end this story I grounded her again, took everything away..and she is grounded for 2 weeks ...but why do I feel so guilty..it seems like she could careless..she had a big weekend planned with her friends..movies and a sleepover..and it seems like I care more than she does ..lol I hate grounding her..but shes gotta learn she cant act this way..
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Mar. 2, 2012 at 10:40 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
hayleyanderson
by on Mar. 2, 2012 at 10:47 PM
I think you did the right thing in discussing it and taking action as oppose to dismissing it completely which is pointless. But maybe try talking to her more frequently about this so she further understands what is expected of her in a school community/learning environment.
boys2men2soon
by Kimberly on Mar. 2, 2012 at 10:55 PM
3 moms liked this

Maybe because you are the one who has to put up with her being grounded.   LoL   I've always felt like grounding our kids is really a double edged sword.  We have to listen to them bitch and moan!

fantasticfour
by Grumpy on Mar. 3, 2012 at 12:43 AM

You did the right thing grounding her. I would say to take her with you on the next conference.  Let her face her accusers and see if that does any good.  I feel guilty alot when I ground mine, but I still have to when they are bad.  It's been a while (knock on wood) so I'm waiting for it.

fammatthews4
by Trisha on Mar. 3, 2012 at 3:38 AM
I think punishments are sometimes harder on the parents then the children. The important thing is to be consistent and not give in.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
CTBmom
by on Mar. 3, 2012 at 8:24 AM
I always feel the same way when I ground my son, and I'm not sure why, lol. Just know that you are doing the right thing.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
cat4458
by Bronze Member on Mar. 3, 2012 at 8:38 AM

My 13 yo dd is grounded as we speak.  It's a weekend no less.  Seems like things come down on a weekend. So, like others said, it hurts the parents more than the kid, I think.

Cindy18
by Bronze Member on Mar. 3, 2012 at 8:56 AM

Sounds to me like she needs more severe consequences. I would take everything away until she can prove that she can be respectful. No time limit. She knows that she will get it back in 2 weeks and she is fine with that, so you need to make her think a little more.

suesues
by Silver Member on Mar. 3, 2012 at 8:59 AM

PMS

livinmylife10
by on Mar. 3, 2012 at 9:28 AM
Lol shes moody even when its not her time of the month:)

Quoting suesues:

PMS

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Nina6779
by on Mar. 3, 2012 at 9:31 AM
Quoting livinmylife10:

My daughter is 12..will be 13 in June.. well lately she has had an attitude at home and st school..the last 2 mos ive got 3 calls..1 from the principal and her math and science teacher..all saying shes bein disrespectful..bein loud in class..so I been taking. Her phone and ipod away and grounding her..but only for 2 days or so..well today I get a call from another teacher saying the same damn thing..I wanted to scream..we talked to her asking her what's wrong,why is she all of a sudden acting like this.. all she says is idk!!!! She wont talk to me but I did get out of her that she feels like she don't fit in at the school..which I'm not sure why cuz she has a ton of friends..so I dont believe that.. shes been at this school since the start of her 7th grade yr and it seems she's getting in more trouble than at her last school..we only moved 15 min away ..but she still had to switch schools..well to end this story I grounded her again, took everything away..and she is grounded for 2 weeks ...but why do I feel so guilty..it seems like she could careless..she had a big weekend planned with her friends..movies and a sleepover..and it seems like I care more than she does ..lol I hate grounding her..but shes gotta learn she cant act this way..

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN