Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

New "trend" for teens

Posted by on Mar. 4, 2012 at 3:32 PM
  • 36 Replies
Anyone else notice a new trend among young teen girls these days saying they are bisexual? It's all over Facebook pages and it seems to be getting more popular. Are teen boys claiming this also?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Mar. 4, 2012 at 3:32 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
rkoloms
by on Mar. 4, 2012 at 4:53 PM

My daughter (16) calls these girls "poseurs"

Sandy0904
by on Mar. 4, 2012 at 4:55 PM

I work in a high school and I have noticed the trend.  It seems to be girls.  Haven't heard of any boys stating it.

Cara5
by on Mar. 4, 2012 at 4:56 PM
2 moms liked this

I think its less of a trend and more that society is becoming more accepting of bisexuality (and gay and lesbian kids too) and so teens are feeling more confident to announce that they are questioning their sexual orientation or have decided that they are bisexual. 

Why would your daughter call them poseurs?  

atlmom2
by Susie on Mar. 4, 2012 at 4:57 PM

Never heard this as a trend or to say it and not mean it. 

fammatthews4
by Trisha on Mar. 4, 2012 at 5:02 PM

I'm really not aware of this.  It may be as someone said that society is more accepting so more kids are comfortable in admitting that they are bisexual.

Caysek
by on Mar. 4, 2012 at 5:04 PM
2 moms liked this
I think a lot of it may because girls think guys are really into that so they of course love the attention. Many aren't actually bi though.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
bizzeemom2717
by on Mar. 4, 2012 at 5:14 PM
1 mom liked this
I agree with the moms who say it's because society is more accepting of female's being bi sexual, I haven't seen this with boys.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
eve216
by on Mar. 4, 2012 at 7:26 PM
1 mom liked this
I asked my son about this (15) and he says it's because these female music artists today (Rhianna, Katy Perry, Nikki Minaj) are making it "cool". I just don't think that's a trend little girls should be following just because it's "in" now. And I'm really hoping that the boys don't follow
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
DalesLgndLvsOn3
by Member on Mar. 4, 2012 at 7:31 PM
5 moms liked this

I asked my DD about it when she was in 6th grade (she is now in 8th)... it appeared that if a girl thought another girl was "pretty" or "attractive" then some kids tagged them as bi-sexual and so the girls just figured that's what that meant, so they called themselves bi.  I explained what bisexuality really was to her and miraculously all her lil friends preferences changed on their FB pages once she spread the word.  I told her that I think a LOT of women are beautiful, pretty, gorgeous, but that doesn't mean I am bisexual.  I also explained that there is nothing wrong with bi or homosexuality if that is what one truly is.

mumsy2three
by Shauna on Mar. 4, 2012 at 7:33 PM

Quoting Sandy0904:

I work in a high school and I have noticed the trend.  It seems to be girls.  Haven't heard of any boys stating it.

Same here, except it seems to be more of a trend in our middle school rather than high school.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)