• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

14yr old son slurping his drool?? I know, it sounds weird...

Posted by on Mar. 4, 2012 at 10:15 PM
  • 11 Replies

My 14yr old son just recently started slurping his drool, not sure if his mouth is producing more saliva than usual because he's in those puberty years or if it's just that he doesn't want to swallow his own saliva (which is what he says - that he is drooling more - aka more saliva in his mouth).

I am trying to gently inform him that it's a bad habit that most people find annoying.

So, I ask - is it an annoying sound to you to hear someone slurp their dool - I'd say he does it about five times every hour.  I'd hate for people to start making fun of him for doing this - 14 is a tough age and he's at a new school, too.  

Or am I making too much of this by trying to kick a bad habit before it gets too hard to kick?

by on Mar. 4, 2012 at 10:15 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
luckysevenwow
by on Mar. 4, 2012 at 10:43 PM

I would just remind him to not do it when you hear it. I can see how that would be annoying.

02nana07
by on Mar. 4, 2012 at 10:45 PM

Sounds annoying see if there is a reason for it or if there is something he can do about it.  It could be the sign of something wrong but I would have it checked because I think it would bug me to much to ignore.

PartyGalAnne
by on Mar. 5, 2012 at 12:53 AM

Choose your battles. I'd worry about nose picking and body odor at 14!

This might just be a nervous thing he's doing, but next dental check up mention it!

fantasticfour
by Grumpy on Mar. 5, 2012 at 8:56 AM

Oh man that would gross me out completely!  I don't know what to tell you.

jess225
by on Mar. 5, 2012 at 9:07 AM

So weird you posted this because just last week a friend was telling me her son who is 11 has been doing the same thing.  She took him to his ped. and they are running some test.  Dr. told her it is probably nothing but sometimes excessive drooling is connected to some other medical condition.  I would just have him checked out to rule anything else out.
I agree 14 is a tough age (my Ds is 14 too) so I understand your concern.

fammatthews4
by Trisha on Mar. 5, 2012 at 9:38 AM

I think at this age is when my DS started spitting excessively, just as annoying as the slurping.  I would just remind him gently whenever he does this within hearing that you don't want to hear it.

Cara5
by on Mar. 5, 2012 at 10:52 AM

Has he had any dental/orthodontic work or adjustments? My kids always go through a week or two of making disgusting wet noises with their mouths whenever they get their braces adjusted, get a new retainer etc.. 

drfink
by Emily on Mar. 5, 2012 at 12:44 PM

I guess if he really has so much more drool than he has had in the past I would at least talk to the nurse in his pedi 's office.Three boys here and we have not had an excess of drool.If it is normal then continue to chat because if it turns into a habit and he does it around kids it may not go well for him.

zannahdeux
by on Mar. 5, 2012 at 1:27 PM
Quoting luckysevenwow:

I would just remind him to not do it when you hear it. I can see how that would be annoying.

This.
MrsBLB
by on Mar. 5, 2012 at 2:00 PM

Same here, I agree.

Quoting drfink:

I guess if he really has so much more drool than he has had in the past I would at least talk to the nurse in his pedi 's office.Three boys here and we have not had an excess of drool.If it is normal then continue to chat because if it turns into a habit and he does it around kids it may not go well for him.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)