Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Moms with Teens Moms with Teens

monkey see monkey do!!!!

Posted by on Mar. 14, 2012 at 6:48 PM
  • 10 Replies

i have four teen the oldest r boys 17 n15 and the youngest r girls 14 13. there r some trends going on in schools that we expect and some we do not. one in particular is the eraser burn game. where kids sit n erase their skin off. yes ladies, sit n erase their skin off. until they have a nasty looking scar on their arm or hand. and they think its so cool. my 14 yr old girl came home acting suspicious, wearing a coat in 80 degree weather. i asked her to remove he coat and low n behold the nasty eraser burn on her right arm. we talked about self respect and taking care of ourselves and so on and so on. when i asked why she did it she replied that all her friends were doing it. hmmmmmmm, good ol my friends r doing it phrase. i pointed out that scars r  forever and the game is beyond unacceptable. now i sit here wondering if its an emotional problem i need to take of or it is a classic case of monkey see monkey do? what next??? more bathroom beat downs???? where did we go wrong that they r doing some ridiculous things??? and think its cool????? hmmmmmmmm, i would love some insight or adivice, always welcome!

by on Mar. 14, 2012 at 6:48 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
luckysevenwow
by Platinum Member on Mar. 14, 2012 at 7:08 PM
1 mom liked this

OMG I did not know that was still around. I'm sad to admit as a teen I did the same things. As an adult I have no clue why, I was a perfectly normal teen. No issue's, no depression, it was just the thing to do. Kinda like jumping off of the diving board, everyone trying to up the other. Each trying to prove...something? Who knows what.

I would just her to knock the crap off. 

PurpleHazey
by on Mar. 14, 2012 at 7:54 PM
1 mom liked this

Very catchy title, these teens are more of followers today than they were when I was a teen.

PurpleHazey
by on Mar. 14, 2012 at 7:55 PM

Quoting luckysevenwow:

OMG I did not know that was still around. I'm sad to admit as a teen I did the same things. As an adult I have no clue why, I was a perfectly normal teen. No issue's, no depression, it was just the thing to do. Kinda like jumping off of the diving board, everyone trying to up the other. Each trying to prove...something? Who knows what.

I would just her to knock the crap off. 

I found the opposite from when I was a teen.

Mommy4000
by Member on Mar. 14, 2012 at 7:58 PM

My step daughter did this when she was 14. It was never anything serious, just a few marks on her legs. My husband and I just asked her why she did stupid things when she wasn't a stupid person, she stopped doing it.  

PinkieRed
by on Mar. 15, 2012 at 12:07 AM
1 mom liked this

I'm embarrassed to admit that I remember doing that in high school. Only once, though. I don't know why, either. I guess I just thought it was cool since my best friend had done it. I had totally forgotten about it until I read your post. Of course now, I have no idea why I would do something so stupid! I'd chalk it up to monkey see, monkey do. As long as your daughter isn't doing it repeatedly, or cutting herself, or showing signs of depression, I wouldn't worry about it too much. I think you did a good job addressing it with her.

drfink
by Emily on Mar. 15, 2012 at 12:27 AM
1 mom liked this

oh my gosh I have never heard of this.I am always glad to be made aware of things ...keep my eyes and ears open. Thanks

02nana07
by Ida on Mar. 16, 2012 at 3:04 PM
1 mom liked this

I have never heard of this but maybe she is just trying to fit in. 

Try to explain that doing something just because others are doing it  isn't a good reason. 

I tell mine before doing something their friends are doing ask themselves if they would do it if I were there if not maybe it isn't a good idea  

bizzeemom2717
by Jen on Mar. 16, 2012 at 3:08 PM
1 mom liked this
Wow, I have never heard of this either, but appreciate the heads up.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
libby261
by on Mar. 16, 2012 at 8:42 PM
1 mom liked this

When I was a kid, it was self hickeys.  We'd suck on our arm until we got a hickey (didn't know that's what they were or were called at the time).  Bored kids do stupid stuff.  Hopefully, the stupid thing is not life threatening or life altering.   This too shall pass.

MrsBLB
by Missi on Mar. 16, 2012 at 9:46 PM
1 mom liked this

I think you are the right track with telling her what you did.  If you think there might be something more to it, just watch her to see if she is acting different.  I really think it was a monkey see monkey do thing though.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)