Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Moms with Teens Moms with Teens

How would you feel if your teen registered as an organ donor?

16-Year-Old's Tragic Death Saves Lives (VIDEO)

Posted by Adriana Velez

andrea clevelandWhen 16-year-old Andrea Cleveland died in a car accident she left a terrible, gaping hole in her parents' lives. She died far too young. But in a way, she lives on -- in the bodies of several other people around the country who got a second chance at life because of her.

Andrea was registered as an organ donor. The teen made a point of signing up as soon as she got her driver's license. She couldn't have known how soon she would be making good on that promise -- just months later! But the people who benefited from her gift will be forever grateful.

VIDEO HERE

A 2 1/2-year old toddler has a new liver. A 30-year-old woman has new lungs. And the list goes on and on. What a bittersweet joy for Andrea's parents. It must be so gratifying to know that their daughter was so generous in life. It must curb the pain just a little to know that a little part of their daughter lives on in these people. But how sad that they lost such a kind, thoughtful daughter.

Teenagers can be challenging for parents. But they can also be fearless, idealistic, and luminously inspiring. I hope Adrea inspires other teens -- and for that matter, other adults -- to register as organ donors. It's an unusual way for a girl to show that she believes she's a valuable person, but I think it means something that Andrea thought she was worth passing on parts of herself in the event of her death.

"She didn’t deserve to go but she’s an angel now, she’s my angel, she’s Keegan’s angel, she’s everybody’s," says Meleah Richter, the woman who breathes today thanks to Andrea's lungs. What a loving legacy to leave behind.

How would you feel if your teen registered as an organ donor?

by on Mar. 17, 2012 at 9:19 AM
Replies (31-40):
rkoloms
by on Mar. 17, 2012 at 1:50 PM
5 moms liked this
So you would not allow your child to receive a transplanted organ, right?

Quoting momaof8:

I wouldn't allow it

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
rkoloms
by on Mar. 17, 2012 at 1:52 PM
1 mom liked this
Again, you would not allow your child to receive a transplanted organ?

Quoting momaof8:

i would honor their wishes if it came to that, but before they are an adult I would not allow it on any public doccuments.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Not_A_Native
by Bronze Member on Mar. 17, 2012 at 1:56 PM

Quoting mumsy2three:

Quoting Eddy_G:

I don't think they can register for themselves until they are 18 and then it's their own choice

I am an organ donor and a regular blood donor.

The only reason my hubby isn't one is because he is diabetic and so they don't want his bits.

If my kids died I would deffo give permission for their organs to be used.  

I had to sign that I gave consent with her decision to be an organ donor since she was under 18 when she got her license.

I did not.  I DID, however, have to sign to give permission for them to GET a drivers license at 18.  Nohing about my signature had anything to do with the organ donation stipulation.

darciaT
by on Mar. 17, 2012 at 1:58 PM
1 mom liked this

I would be proud that he can think of helping people that may need an organ to live.  I think organ donation is a priceless and wonderfull gift.  So many people have had their lives saved because of other people's sacrifice and loss. 

Darcia

momaof8
by on Mar. 17, 2012 at 3:09 PM

I would not allow them to put it on paper any where while they are under age we would see to those decisions if the time came.

Quoting rkoloms:

So you would not allow your child to receive a transplanted organ, right?

Quoting momaof8:

I wouldn't allow it

momaof8
by on Mar. 17, 2012 at 3:11 PM

I am not against donating my organs or theirs I just don't want it on any legal documents.  Those decisions are made when and if they ever need to be.

BelleVernonGirl
by on Mar. 17, 2012 at 3:32 PM
2 moms liked this

I wouldn't have it any other way...if I could save someone else from going through the pain of loosing a loved one then why wound't I?  Would be selfish not to be an organ donor.

Not_A_Native
by Bronze Member on Mar. 17, 2012 at 3:50 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting momaof8:

I am not against donating my organs or theirs I just don't want it on any legal documents.  Those decisions are made when and if they ever need to be.

Why?  I don't understand that at all.  Sometimes, having it on paper as THEIR wishes is going to make the difference

Jessiejack
by Silver Member on Mar. 17, 2012 at 4:51 PM
My DD is 13 and has already talked about it. Yes I would be very proud to have any of my children be organ donors. And I also know she would want to have her body donated for science. I would follow her wishes.
Carmel63
by Bronze Member on Mar. 17, 2012 at 5:34 PM
Both my husband and I are registered donors, and would be fine with my daughter being a registered donor.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN