Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Moms with Teens Moms with Teens

Do You Need Another Budget for Your Kids Eating Habits..

Posted by on Mar. 27, 2012 at 10:41 AM
  • 55 Replies
2 moms liked this

OMG. Its Spring break and my teenage son is going to run me broke.. There is never anything in the pantry, refrigerator or anywhere else.  I need to get a bed and stay in walmart.. Am I the only one..lol!  Where do they get this appetite? he is as fat as a stick.. He is looking at me like Im crazy, "Mom ur not going to really post that are you" Yes I am... What are somethings that you buy especially for them.. I buy like lunch meats, hot pockets, pizzas. pot pies, cookies..etc..juices, juices and more juices.. I have even tried buying lipton tea to cut down on cost of all the juices, but you have to buy the water to make the juices so it adds up.. Ooh well, its all on his tab, for monies he has to pay me back once he gets a  job (joking) lol..

by on Mar. 27, 2012 at 10:41 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
PinkieRed
by on Mar. 27, 2012 at 11:05 AM
I hear you! We go through food like water in my house! Food prices are killing me. Everything has gotten so darn expensive, especially meat and dairy!

My oldest brother is remarried, and he and his wife have a blended family with 6 kids, 5 living with them - 18 year old boy, 16 year old boy, almost 14 year old girl, almost 13 year old boy, and a 4 year old girl.

Their grocery bills are astronomical. I nearly choked when my brother said they spend about $1,300-$1,500 a month on food!

And here I thought my $700-$800 a month was atrocious!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
luckysevenwow
by Platinum Member on Mar. 27, 2012 at 11:11 AM
1 mom liked this

My kids are pretty good...not great, about eating in moderation. When something runs out in my house, it stays that way till my next shopping period. If I didn't I would need a loan to feed my household. I but lot's of crackers, they put cheese, peanut butter, jam lots of things on top. Popcorn, the kind you make yourself, not the bags that go in microwave. Take a whole chicken and make chiken salad, do the same with eggs. Oatmeal, pancakes and waffels, they'll eat those all day long. I know there is more but those are the main things.

Alwaysmotivated
by Member on Mar. 27, 2012 at 11:21 AM
1 mom liked this

isn't that the truth, I would have choked myself, omg! 1,500..Wheeew..And walmart is the cheapest of the set and still seemingly expensive if you know what I mean.. Oh well, I suppose we are lucky that we can still buy so I'm thankful, lol..

Quoting PinkieRed:

I hear you! We go through food like water in my house! Food prices are killing me. Everything has gotten so darn expensive, especially meat and dairy!

My oldest brother is remarried, and he and his wife have a blended family with 6 kids, 5 living with them - 18 year old boy, 16 year old boy, almost 14 year old girl, almost 13 year old boy, and a 4 year old girl.

Their grocery bills are astronomical. I nearly choked when my brother said they spend about $1,300-$1,500 a month on food!

And here I thought my $700-$800 a month was atrocious!

Not_A_Native
by Bronze Member on Mar. 27, 2012 at 11:23 AM
1 mom liked this

I've got one home for spring break too - and her boyfriend is usually with her as well!  His parents are divorced though, so they also spend time at each of his parents houses - so my bill is "1/3" of what it could be!

Alwaysmotivated
by Member on Mar. 27, 2012 at 11:24 AM

Sounds good,  I really like the crackers and everything.. Got to be creative,lol! Luv it..

Quoting luckysevenwow:

My kids are pretty good...not great, about eating in moderation. When something runs out in my house, it stays that way till my next shopping period. If I didn't I would need a loan to feed my household. I but lot's of crackers, they put cheese, peanut butter, jam lots of things on top. Popcorn, the kind you make yourself, not the bags that go in microwave. Take a whole chicken and make chiken salad, do the same with eggs. Oatmeal, pancakes and waffels, they'll eat those all day long. I know there is more but those are the main things.

Jessiejack
by Silver Member on Mar. 27, 2012 at 11:39 AM
1 mom liked this
Wow that is a lot of money for food. We spend about $300 a month for a family of 5. We do almost all homemade. I also try to buy local and in season only. I think by doing homemade it cuts down on the amount the kids eat. They can have pizza pockets but they need to make it. They can have fries but they need to make them. Last night we had chicken tenders and fries. Cost $4 for a family of 5.
FindersKeepers
by on Mar. 27, 2012 at 12:06 PM
1 mom liked this

Growing teens will eat you out of house and home....

My dad warned me about his teen appetite so I was not surprised.   I don't buy a lot of expensive snack foods.   My teen son will eat 4-5 meals a day.   So when I make dinner I just make an extra serving.   He will eat that as his 'snack' and still eat a full dinner.   Sometimes he eats two breakfasts too.. cereal then waffles.   

Stock up on foods that are filling (lean proteins, nuts, dairy, bananas).   Buy in bulk.... I buy milk at Costco and 10 boxes of cereal when they are on sale. 

momofne
by on Mar. 27, 2012 at 12:41 PM

LOL! I know what you mean!

luckysevenwow
by Platinum Member on Mar. 27, 2012 at 12:45 PM

I think them having to make it themsleves makes a difference. If they are really hungry then they will make it, if they are wanting to eat out of boredom they are less likely to fix themsleves something. A lot of what we eat and do is also from scratch. The microwave is rarely used here.

Quoting Jessiejack:

Wow that is a lot of money for food. We spend about $300 a month for a family of 5. We do almost all homemade. I also try to buy local and in season only. I think by doing homemade it cuts down on the amount the kids eat. They can have pizza pockets but they need to make it. They can have fries but they need to make them. Last night we had chicken tenders and fries. Cost $4 for a family of 5.

Alwaysmotivated
by Member on Mar. 27, 2012 at 12:45 PM

We all can relate, lol..

Quoting momofne:

LOL! I know what you mean!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN