Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Moms with Teens Moms with Teens

3 day suspension.. are you serious?

Posted by   + Show Post

My son took a Mucinex to school yesterday.  He had it in his backback because his nose has been severly congested.  Long story short, the school found out about it and searched him, his locker and his backback.  He is now suspended for 3 days because they have a no tolerance policy against drugs in their schools.  I understand what he did was violation of this policy.  You are not allowed to have any medication at school without a note and it must go to the nurse's office.  But this is a good kid, who is never in trouble.  3 days out of school for one pill?  Then I find out today that there was a kid distrubuting pills to other students yesterday and they had to send them to the hospital because they were severly sick.  Is this kid suspended.  No he's in school today.  Go figure.  do you think this was a harsh punishment for this action?  I belive to give him a detension or something but not a 3 day suspension.  And he came home with a letter from the school saying that they are having a hearing on Friday to see if he needs additonal time being suspended.  They are so out of line.  When I talk to the school all I hear about is that he was in violation of the policy.  What would you do?  I'm fighting all the way for my son.  I think this is riduculous and so does his father.

by on Mar. 28, 2012 at 9:56 AM
Replies (41-50):
nicole1319
by on Mar. 29, 2012 at 9:49 AM

I think he should have had a note and given it to the shool nurse, but 3 days really.....maybe one day after school explaining to him that, that type of medicine that most of us use as actual medicine is made to use meth......But to let the other kid go scott free is RIDICULOUS!!!!! That kid should be out of school indefinitely!!!

Sorry that you are going through this :( HUGS!!!

AJMRmom
by on Mar. 29, 2012 at 10:22 AM

I agree with the consequence; however, the problem is that if the consequence is NOT uniform for ALL students, THEN there is something out of place. Drugs is something you cannot mess around with, especially nowdays. And unfortunately, even "good" kids sometimes turn to drugs or do things you wouldn't ever expect.

I understand where you're coming from, though and would be frustrated for my own child, also.

JustShawna
by on Mar. 29, 2012 at 10:22 AM

Our school, just this year, developed a new policy. You cannot take ibuprofen, tylenol, asprin, etc. and leave it at the schools (none of them.) The school will call you, regardless. If you leave the meds the school will give them the medicine for a headache one time (absolutely no more than that one time either) then, if your child comes in again they will not give it. You have to go pick up the meds and give it to your child. Then, if you want the school to administer meds you must take your child to the doctor and have them fill out a paper the school has saying the child can have that med for random headaches. What's hard about all of that is we live out in the boonies. The doctors offices are about thirty minutes away. Makes it really hard. What if you don't work in our small podunk town and have to come from work JUST to give those meds. Makes it frustrating.

Quoting atlmom2:

Our school has tylenol and advil that the school provides free of charge.  At registration a parent signs a form for what strength and what meds and they will give it to your child when requested. 

Quoting Alwaysmotivated:

OMG.  I am putting myself in your shoes.  My son is an awesome kid and I have suggested once or twice for him to take a tylenol when I new he wasn't feeling well, I never even thought about him getting in trouble.. Back to the point, I would fight tooth and nail, you never know.  Some infractions can be added to their permanent record.. Find out? I hope not. Oh, I hope you can work it out

AJMRmom
by on Mar. 29, 2012 at 10:27 AM

The problem with those that think each case should be evaluated individually, is that there is MUCH corruption and then you have favoritism come into play, or kids getting away with it that absolutely shouldn't. How would you feel if that ONE mucinex was dropped and the wrong student got a hold of it, and took it or mixed it with something and wound up dead?

Again, I understand the mom's frustration, but unfortunately it shouldn't have happened. Also, I do question what events took place that led up to him being searched. IF he said anything about it, he obviously must have known he shouldn't have it (NOT saying this happened). Somehow, someone knew he had it...

AJMRmom
by on Mar. 29, 2012 at 10:29 AM

I personally think, they need to do JUST like in home daycares in Illinois do. You have a medication log. You have a form the parent fills out each time the child needs or the parent wants that child to take an over the counter med, or prescription and why they are taking it. THEN each time the care giver (a school personnell would be in the case of school) administers such medication, they document how much, how given, how measured, and times, etc. THEN about half an hour later or so they document that the child was checked on; followed up to assure no adverse reactions.

Quoting JustShawna:

Our school, just this year, developed a new policy. You cannot take ibuprofen, tylenol, asprin, etc. and leave it at the schools (none of them.) The school will call you, regardless. If you leave the meds the school will give them the medicine for a headache one time (absolutely no more than that one time either) then, if your child comes in again they will not give it. You have to go pick up the meds and give it to your child. Then, if you want the school to administer meds you must take your child to the doctor and have them fill out a paper the school has saying the child can have that med for random headaches. What's hard about all of that is we live out in the boonies. The doctors offices are about thirty minutes away. Makes it really hard. What if you don't work in our small podunk town and have to come from work JUST to give those meds. Makes it frustrating.

Quoting atlmom2:

Our school has tylenol and advil that the school provides free of charge.  At registration a parent signs a form for what strength and what meds and they will give it to your child when requested. 

Quoting Alwaysmotivated:

OMG.  I am putting myself in your shoes.  My son is an awesome kid and I have suggested once or twice for him to take a tylenol when I new he wasn't feeling well, I never even thought about him getting in trouble.. Back to the point, I would fight tooth and nail, you never know.  Some infractions can be added to their permanent record.. Find out? I hope not. Oh, I hope you can work it out

HelenE60
by on Mar. 29, 2012 at 11:55 AM
3 moms liked this

I am a school nurse at a Catholic school. Students are not even allowed to keep cough drops with them, everything has to come to me to be dispensed if needed, and those are the guidelines from the state of New Jersey. As far as the punishment, I think that is a little bit over the top, but lesson learned. Everyone should check with their children's schools for guidelines as far as taking medications at school

fullxbusymom
by Bronze Member on Mar. 29, 2012 at 12:22 PM

No I don't think it is ridiculous and he knew it was school rules.  He chose not to abide by them and hence he needs to suffer the consequences.  Sorry it has been this way since I graduated high school in 1990 if we were caught with a tylenol we could be suspended.  Sorry him and you are in the wrong here.

cookbooklady
by on Mar. 29, 2012 at 12:38 PM

One rule is made for all kids so they don't have to see both sides to the story. A cell phone was dropped during a scuffle in the hall and my son was accused of taking it. A teacher even said if I call the phone I bet it would ring in your pocket. I wasn't even called and told of the problem until I picked him up from school. I went in and talked to the principal and told her I didn't appreciate my son being accused of something and not believed just because other kids said he did it. Come to find out someone else picked it up and they all just accused him. I told them I didn't like the fact that another male teacher got in his face accusing him either and it had better not happen again because my son doesn't need to take other peoples things he has his own. Because other students said he did it he was automatically assumed of doing it. If more than one kid says you did something then they take the word of the kids and don't bother trying to get the other side of the story. Just lazy.

Alex825
by on Mar. 29, 2012 at 2:01 PM

Sorry mom, but you are just to blame as your son, or even more  .Doesn't the school, at the beginning of the school year, a Packet for you both to read about School Policies and Rules????   I am pretty sure they did. . My schools the parents have  to send back a signature page stating we both read and agree to follow the rules. Rules are rules mom.  Your only concern should your child and not worry about the Rumors in the school. 

Plus if your son was so sick requiring him to have the mucinex, keep him home next time. 

luckysevenwow
by Platinum Member on Mar. 29, 2012 at 2:12 PM
1 mom liked this

That's us. It's not unusual to see guns in the back of pick-ups during hunting season. ALso when my son was in 3rd grade he had forgotten to take his hunting knives out of his backpack, the teacher just took them out and had me come pick them up. She realized that it was a mistake, had she turned it in who know's what would have happened. That's the problem with zero tolerance, there is no room for teachers to use the brains.

Quoting Pirate.Mum:

Blanket punishments=lazy school admins. That's like in my son's algebra class...there are 2-3 rowdy teens and when they act up, the whole class gets punished. OMG, don't call out the kids making trouble...you might HURT THEIR FEELINGS...instead, just punish the rest of the class who is sitting silently and behaved. In fact, let's give the troublemakers a trophy so they feel good.

I used to be a sub in K-12 and you can be sure I called them out, in front of the rest of the class. After a few times they got embarrassed enough to not act up when I subbed in their room. Those same kids asked for me by name if they knew they were getting a sub. But I didn't put up with nonsense...sorry, tangent.

Case by case is how it should be, anything less is simply laziness. As for guns in school...I don't like pistols and such in school, but I taught in an area where kids would bring their hunting rifles, put them in their locker (on a Friday) and leave on a hunting weekend immediately after school.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN