Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Do you make your girls pick a prom dress you like?

Posted by on Apr. 1, 2012 at 5:05 PM
  • 122 Replies
2 moms liked this

I don't mean one that isn't low cut or sleezy.  I mean would you make your girls pick one you like over something they like even if both are suitable??

My dd's friend has to wear her dress from last year to senior prom because her Mom wants her to buy a dress she likes even though her dd hates it.  Both dresses are not low cut or anything and nice, but her Mom only likes one? I would never do that. 

Its like saying I am paying for your wedding dress and you must pick out one I like? 

My 18 yo and I rarely agree but I wouldn't make her get a dress I like.  My 20 yo and I agreed more than not on dresses. 

Come join me at The Duggars Debate, The Good, The Bad and the Ugly

by on Apr. 1, 2012 at 5:05 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MrsBLB
by Missi on Apr. 1, 2012 at 5:47 PM

Oh that poor girl...   No I would not do that.

fammatthews4
by Trisha on Apr. 1, 2012 at 6:03 PM
2 moms liked this
No as long as I feel that it is appropriate she can get what she wants. My DH doesn't like the color of the dress DD picked out but he would never tell her that (I on the other hand like it). He's good with it though since there is nothing inappropriate about it.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
cege
by Bronze Member on Apr. 1, 2012 at 6:05 PM
2 moms liked this

No, my daughter is allowed to pick a dress she likes.  The same goes for how she dresses in general, wears her make-up, hair, etc.  She's has her own personal style.

peacheylady
by on Apr. 1, 2012 at 6:09 PM
I would not do that to my dd's. I mean one of my girls is married now. But no way would I do that to my youngest. That poor girl has to be heartbroken. I hope at the last min that mom pulls out the dress her daughter really wants to wear. Cause this is her senior prom. That breaks my heart.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mommybug77
by on Apr. 1, 2012 at 6:10 PM
1 mom liked this
If we approve of it she gets the choice.
PinkieRed
by on Apr. 1, 2012 at 6:20 PM
2 moms liked this
As long as the dress wasn't too revealing or inappropriate, and it was in our price range, then yes, I would let her buy it, even if I personally didn't like it.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Carmel63
by Bronze Member on Apr. 1, 2012 at 6:34 PM
2 moms liked this
I told my daughter she could have any dress she wanted. While I do have some influence, it was important to me that my daughter have a dress that made her feel beautiful.
atlmom2
by Susie on Apr. 1, 2012 at 6:37 PM
7 moms liked this

I just remember my Mom saying she wouldn't buy me a dress, that I had to make mine.  I would let my girls buy what they want, within reason.  My dd had the back out of her dress once.  It wasn't super low and looked really nice.  That was my favorite dress.  Here it is. 

juliX4
by Bronze Member on Apr. 1, 2012 at 6:40 PM
2 moms liked this
I don't really care for my dds dress this year but it fits her personality perfectly and the long skirt is removable so she can wear it after prom too. It's cheetah print with orange lol
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mumsy2three
by Shauna on Apr. 1, 2012 at 6:54 PM

No I wouldn't do that to my dd.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)