Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Moms with Teens Moms with Teens

Do you make your girls pick a prom dress you like?

Posted by   + Show Post

I don't mean one that isn't low cut or sleezy.  I mean would you make your girls pick one you like over something they like even if both are suitable??

My dd's friend has to wear her dress from last year to senior prom because her Mom wants her to buy a dress she likes even though her dd hates it.  Both dresses are not low cut or anything and nice, but her Mom only likes one? I would never do that. 

Its like saying I am paying for your wedding dress and you must pick out one I like? 

My 18 yo and I rarely agree but I wouldn't make her get a dress I like.  My 20 yo and I agreed more than not on dresses. 

Come join me at The Duggars Debate, The Good, The Bad and the Ugly

by on Apr. 1, 2012 at 5:05 PM
Replies (21-30):
squeekers
by Member on Apr. 1, 2012 at 11:06 PM
1 mom liked this

no belly, no boobs and no butt may show no matter what she wears. she knows this.

fammatthews4
by Trisha on Apr. 2, 2012 at 6:07 AM
If The dress was appropriate to those guidelines, but there was something you still didn't like about it, maybe color or decoration, would you let her choose?

Quoting squeekers:

no belly, no boobs and no butt may show no matter what she wears. she knows this.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
atlmom2
by Susie on Apr. 2, 2012 at 8:47 AM
1 mom liked this

My youngest actually loves pink and finally, her senior prom dress is fushia.  She has never had a pink dress yet.  She has bought blue and purple mostly.  The dd in that picture loves green.  She only had 2 green dresses but she bought more different dresses and different colors. 

Quoting PinkieRed:

That's a really pretty dress, from what I can see of it, and it goes well with your daughter's hair color and complexion. And of course, I love anything pink (my favorite color)! Alas, I have a daughter who can only tolerate pink in very small doses, and especially dislikes hot pink - sniffle... : (

btamilee
by Member on Apr. 2, 2012 at 9:14 AM

My daughter can't go to prom yet...only Seniors can go, but she did a get a new dress for her movie premiere, and I allowed her to pick out whatever dress she wanted.  Luckily...I actually like the same dress!

PinkieRed
by on Apr. 2, 2012 at 9:15 AM
My daughter reminds me so much of my youngest sister. That sister hates pink, but loves green and blue, which are also my daughter's favorite colors. Both of them also won't wear any clothes that are too girly or frilly looking.

Among me and my 3 sisters, I'm the only one who is crazy about pink.

I even still have my pink baby blanket that my dad bought for me the day I was born, almost 39 years ago. My kids and husband like to tease me about it.

And one of my earliest memories is of being maybe 3, and getting upset in a Gold Circle store, because my mother picked out a pale yellow Easter dress for me, when I wanted something pink, LOL!

Quoting atlmom2:

My youngest actually loves pink and finally, her senior prom dress is fushia.  She has never had a pink dress yet.  She has bought blue and purple mostly.  The dd in that picture loves green.  She only had 2 green dresses but she bought more different dresses and different colors. 

Quoting PinkieRed:

That's a really pretty dress, from what I can see of it, and it goes well with your daughter's hair color and complexion. And of course, I love anything pink (my favorite color)! Alas, I have a daughter who can only tolerate pink in very small doses, and especially dislikes hot pink - sniffle... : (

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
atlmom2
by Susie on Apr. 2, 2012 at 9:17 AM
1 mom liked this

I love pink also!!!

Quoting PinkieRed:

My daughter reminds me so much of my youngest sister. That sister hates pink, but loves green and blue, which are also my daughter's favorite colors. Both of them also won't wear any clothes that are too girly or frilly looking.

Among me and my 3 sisters, I'm the only one who is crazy about pink.

I even still have my pink baby blanket that my dad bought for me the day I was born. My kids and husband like to tease me about it.

And one of my earliest memories is of being maybe 3, and getting upset in a Gold Circle store, because my mother picked out a pale yellow Easter dress for me, when I wanted something pink, LOL!

Quoting atlmom2:

Quoting PinkieRed:

robsgurl_23
by on Apr. 2, 2012 at 9:17 AM

I wouldnt make my kids pick a dress I like They are the ones who will be wearing them, but I think I will have thing to add about the dress like it cant be too short and how much it has to cover and stuff like that.

jinxmom
by Bronze Member on Apr. 2, 2012 at 9:23 AM

My dd 17 tried on several dresses and they did look nice.  Nothing was too sexy or inappropriate.  Then I saw a dress that was hanging by the front desk and I asked them if my dd could try it on.  She loved it and that was it, 2 wks later my mom put a down pymt on it and it came back 1 mo later.  Its gorgeous.  Its her prom and I wanted her to love the dress she picked it just happened that I picked it and she loved it lol

PhyllisGB
by on Apr. 2, 2012 at 9:33 AM

DD was going to go with her older cousin (who is 34 & lends her clothes sometimes) but ended up going with her close friend.  They picked something out themselves.  I thought it was gorgeous and she paid for it!

drfink
by Emily on Apr. 2, 2012 at 12:25 PM
1 mom liked this

With in guidelines of exposure ,the rest was up to her.All the formals ,all the semi formals,some I loved others not so much ..When I didn't care for a dress I would gently explain why ,sometimes she would look and see what i said and agree other times not.Once I gave her my thoughts I let it go.From just a practical pov paying for a dress she is unhappy in makes no sense.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN