Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Moms with Teens Moms with Teens

Do you make your girls pick a prom dress you like?

Posted by   + Show Post

I don't mean one that isn't low cut or sleezy.  I mean would you make your girls pick one you like over something they like even if both are suitable??

My dd's friend has to wear her dress from last year to senior prom because her Mom wants her to buy a dress she likes even though her dd hates it.  Both dresses are not low cut or anything and nice, but her Mom only likes one? I would never do that. 

Its like saying I am paying for your wedding dress and you must pick out one I like? 

My 18 yo and I rarely agree but I wouldn't make her get a dress I like.  My 20 yo and I agreed more than not on dresses. 

Come join me at The Duggars Debate, The Good, The Bad and the Ugly

by on Apr. 1, 2012 at 5:05 PM
Replies (41-50):
msalice_21
by on Apr. 3, 2012 at 12:50 AM
1 mom liked this

My mom did this to me. And I prom kinda sucked the whole time, not just because of the dress but i had to be home before 12.  I would NEVER EVER make my daughter wear something she didnt like to HER special event. 

p0pc0rn
by on Apr. 3, 2012 at 1:21 AM

absolutely not! the only issue I can see with clothing and style is their dad because he would be SOOO overprotective. I think that as long as it's tasteful, its fine :) and by tasteful i don't mean full length with full arms, i mean not showing cleavage or ass. 

pampire
by on Apr. 3, 2012 at 1:48 AM

It's her Prom.  As long as the dress is age appropriate she has final say.

SatyrsMom
by on Apr. 3, 2012 at 2:01 AM
1 mom liked this

I look at it like this, she is 18 and it is my gift to her. I won't pay for something that shows too much/ But rather I like it or not it is her prom dress and her night and I want her to be happy. My friend's other took over her whole wedding. Everything she picked out they went and changed. She didn't even get to pick out her dress. Who can say Shaddy Pines Nursing Home?

Mom2Addison12
by on Apr. 3, 2012 at 2:44 AM

I'd never do that!

But the wedding dress thing, I had found a dress that I thought I loved, and my mom hated because it looked like a prom dress, and had nothing to it, she said she wouldn't have paid for it.

DCMsMommy
by on Apr. 3, 2012 at 5:37 AM

nope, as long as its appropriate 

Celia21
by on Apr. 3, 2012 at 6:48 AM

No, I would let my daughter choose.

Thats not really fair

Luv.My.Kidz
by Member on Apr. 3, 2012 at 7:54 AM

I would compromise.... but I would ultimately have to okay the dress....especially if I'm paying for it.

1979mommy
by on Apr. 3, 2012 at 7:56 AM

I have the prime example. Ugh. LOL  I just took my middle daughter (age 11, almost 12) shopping for a dress for the father/daughter dance at school. She was IN LOVE with a dress that I hated. Yes, I told her I thought it was ugly but it wasn't my dress to wear. I did convince her to look around a little but in the end she got the dress she wanted even though I hated it. It wasn't inappropriate or anything, I just didn't like the style/colors and it wasn't her usual taste AT ALL, which threw us all for a loop. LOL  Here's a pic of the hideous dress on her. She ended up looking great despite the ugly dress. LOL

tbursac777
by on Apr. 3, 2012 at 8:06 AM

no. if they were both fine, and not showing the tata's... then i'd let her pick

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)