Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Moms with Teens Moms with Teens

Do you let your kids "sass" other adults?

Posted by   + Show Post
We all know the kids hit these per teen and teen years an the majority of them want to push the envelope on how much they can get away with.
If your teen smarted off to an adult friend of yours would you let them? Or would you say something?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Apr. 21, 2012 at 10:11 AM
Replies (11-20):
tyfry7496
by Silver Member on Apr. 21, 2012 at 5:16 PM
This and a few of my friends and son have great relationships where they tease each other. He knows how far he can go with them before they call him on crossing into disrespect.

Quoting Msgme:

It would totally depend on the situation.   I don't demand that they respect ppl just because they are adults.  But I do expect them to treat everyone with respect unless given reason not to.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MrsBLB
by Missi on Apr. 21, 2012 at 5:32 PM

I would say something to them.

PinkieRed
by on Apr. 21, 2012 at 6:06 PM
I would say something too. My kids might get sassy with me on occasion (and yes, I tell them it's not welcome), but I can say that they are very respectful to their teachers, and all of the adult relatives in our family.

They both spent the night at their cousins' house last night, and my sister in law said she had no trouble with them at all. They didn't even squabble with each other - I was shocked by that part, LOL!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
luckysevenwow
by Platinum Member on Apr. 21, 2012 at 6:23 PM

Rude..no. Sassy as in playfull I would be okay with. As others said I ask that my children treat adults with kindness, but if someone is rude to them I do not expect them to stand by and take it strictly because someone is an adult.

MrsP23
by on Apr. 22, 2012 at 10:30 AM
1 mom liked this

Absolutely not!!!  I found out a few months ago that my son talked back to a teacher, he was punished pretty good and I made sure he personally apologized to the teacher.  Luckily, he knew he was wrong right after he said it and took his punishment like a man :)  It wasn't even a huge deal, he didnt cuss at her or yell or anything just a disrepectful mumbling under his breath and a nasty look--but I figure nip it in the bud while its small or the next time it will be a bigger offense. He definitely knows now that we take that very seriously and that behavior will not be tolerated. 

My kids can be rude little jerks at home and they give us a hard time quite a bit---but to any other adult they are sweet as pie (with their little s*** eating grins and all) Their friends' parents hardly even know they talk LOL

Proudmomma7
by on Apr. 22, 2012 at 10:31 AM
Absolutely not!
Saille717
by on Apr. 22, 2012 at 1:51 PM

My son is in the habit of speaking to adults as an equal.  There are times when this gets him into trouble, especially when he whips out some sarcasm, which makes him sound sassy and disrespectful.  I don't let him get away with it, I back his teachers/school staff if they feel he crosses lines there, and he knows better than to be anything other than polite and respectful with other adults.  

I don't jump him every time he seems sassy to me....I do try to give him some slack for having had a bad day at school or being in some drama with his friends.  Like anybody, when he has a bad day it just comes out at home and he's not aiming it at me.  

DestinyGlasper
by on Apr. 22, 2012 at 2:52 PM

Hell no, i don't let them sass anybody. If their playing with somebody, then its a whole different situation. But if their doing in a rude way, them i say something to them right away, i don't care where we are.

Jeckyls-mommy
by on Apr. 22, 2012 at 4:41 PM
To be honest I'm raising Sampson the way I was. You give respect where respect is earned. I'll be damned if I make my kid respect and adult who treats him different because he is a child. You give him respect and he will return it.
02nana07
by Ida on Apr. 22, 2012 at 5:23 PM

My kids learned better at an early age and I don't take it from other peoples kids either

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)