Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Follow Up Teens and Dating, How About You?

Posted by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 12:01 AM
  • 15 Replies

Poll

Question: How old were you when you felt you were in a serious relationship which might include losing your virginity?

Options:

Before 12, I was sexually abused. It makes me very weary to allow my kids to date before 16.

Before 12, I was sexually abused. I try to arm my children with knowledge to avoid them being hurt.

I was 13, dated someone older, lost my virginity.

I was 13, dated someone my age for a few years, eventually I lost my virginity around 16.

My parents had me on lock-down, I didn't date until I was 16, I went nuts, had multiple sexual partners.

My parents had me on lock-down, I didn't date until I was 16. My early experiences were a learning experience that taught me about choosing a valid partner.

I was let loose at 16, I had been caged for too long and went nuts! I learned a lot, but regret my choices at times and that is why I try to protect my kids with good communication.

I was 16, I married my High School Sweatheart. Our marriage is wonderful!

I was 16, I married my High School Sweetheart, but it fell apart by the time I was 26 and we had a couple of kids.

I was 16, married my High School Sweetheart, he was a total idiot. My newer husband is amazing, we both love our children so much. I am glad I had that experience, it taught me so much!

My marriage was arranged, officially or kinda. We function properly as a result of our deep faith.

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 8

View Results

I was 13-14. I thought they were serious relationships. they would have happened with or without my parent's  approval. I suppose that is why I try to keep this open door policy!

by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 12:01 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
luckysevenwow
by Platinum Member on Apr. 25, 2012 at 12:44 AM
2 moms liked this
I was 16, eventually married him. We are still together but it wasn't always wonderful. It was a LOT of hard work so I did not vote.

My children were also 16 and I believe that because they had to first figure themselves out, have their priorities straight when they did get on a relationship they were fully ready to deal with situations that arose. They never snuck out, never went behind my back, hell one understood as she got older and saw her friends turn into "idiots".

I will do the same for my younger set, as my mom did with me and I did with my older set
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
TinaOW75
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 12:56 AM

Thank you for responding as I failed to include your demographic! I've been married for 16 years, not a High School Sweetheart and definetly have the song, "I Didn't Promise You a Rose Garden." Plays in my head...

fammatthews4
by Trisha on Apr. 25, 2012 at 4:41 AM
1 mom liked this
Well I absolutely don't fit into any of those. I had the no dating until 16 rule but never found anyone I wanted to date until around 18. From 18 until almost 20 I dated a few guys no one serious. When I was 19 almost 20 I met someone, dated for a few months it became serious, we started a sexual relationship then 18 months later (right after I turned 21) we married. Last month we celebrated our 20th wedding anniversary. It hasn't always been easy, we've had our ups and downs, but we've worked at it and have a great relationship still.
Our kids also have the no dating until 16 rule. DS turns 19 this week, DD is 16 almost 17. Neither has ever snuck out and given us any problems that way, neither have really had a serious relationship yet.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
momto3infl
by Bronze Member on Apr. 25, 2012 at 6:42 AM

I wasnt able to date until at least college-I went crazy in college having the freedom for friends and dating.  Even after college and I moved back home for a bit-it was back to the same, had very strict rules when dating my fiance up till we were married-that was one and half years.

michelles
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 6:48 AM
1 mom liked this

I am not in any of those catergories either! I didn't start dating until I was 17 and then it was just one guy, for about six months but he wanted to get more serious than I did! I met my now hubby my sophomore year in high school and we were good friends...he was a senior...my senior year, I asked him to my prom and we have been together ever since! We will celebrate our 15 year anniversary in November...we have had our ups and downs but we have worked our way through it...we're not perfect but we keep on keeping on!

Carmel63
by Bronze Member on Apr. 25, 2012 at 8:00 AM
1 mom liked this
None of the above. My first real boyfriend was my senior year in high school. We were together for three years. I never went crazy. I chose to not to be sexually active until I was in college. I had a few other relationships, and began dating my husband after my college graduation. We have been married for almost 20 years.
rkoloms
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 8:06 AM
1 mom liked this
What's your point?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
atlmom2
by Susie on Apr. 25, 2012 at 8:58 AM

With who would be come my dh.  He was over 18 and I was 19 and we dated a while.  Before that, never was asked except once and I was 19 then too.  Had a boyfriend all of 8th, 9th and most of 10th grade.  He didn't kiss me for a year.  Things were different then.  People don't think so but they were. 

I can't post to the survey because none fit me.  I don't think most of your survey fits the general population. 

libby261
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 9:36 AM

I was in college - 18.

fantasticfour
by Grumpy on Apr. 25, 2012 at 9:51 AM

I guess I fall into more than one category so I didn't vote.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)