• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

How Attached is Your Teen to Their Stuff?

Posted by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 12:10 PM
  • 7 Replies
2 moms liked this

Teen Who Lost Everything in Tsunami Gets His Prized Possession Back, One Year Later

Posted by Adriana Velez

soccer ballImagine losing everything in a tsunami: Your home, your keepsakes, all your kids' photos. That's what happened to hundreds of families in Japan after last year's devastating tsunami. That's what happened to Misaki Murakami, now 16. He lost everything -- or so he thought.

Amazingly, his soccer ball turned up in Alaska!

Beachcombers discovered it and noticed it was inscribed with Misaki's name. And this isn't just an ordinary soccer ball, either. It's the ball Misaki's third-grade class gave him when he moved schools. His friends signed it with words of encouragement, kind of like a yearbook.

Misaki's response was really sweet. "It was a big surprise. I've never imagined that my ball has reached Alaska. I've lost everything in the tsunami. So I'm delighted. I really want to say thank you for finding the ball."

Considering 19,000 people died in last year's storm, I think people who lost all their possessions but held onto all their family members still consider themselves fortunate. Misaki and his family have had a whole year to deal with their devastating losses. I'm sure it's been hard for the whole family. But this one small gift from the sea must feel like a miracle.

And I'm so glad it was a teen's possession that was found. The parents -- they'll be okay. They've got their kids. I think that's how I would feel. But kids can be a little more attached to their "stuff" -- from pacifiers to favorite stuffed animals to soccer balls, your stuff is almost your identity. And now Misaki has just gotten back a piece of his childhood.

Do you think kids are more attached to "stuff" than their parents are?

by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 12:10 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
Reina13
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 2:01 PM

What a sweet story.

My kids aren't too attached to their stuff.

luckysevenwow
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 2:27 PM

Alaska? It's a pretty cool story and I bet that ball will be even more treasured now.

Not_A_Native
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 3:43 PM

I think it all depends on the person.

My mom doesn't care about much of any "things."  She grew up during the depression, moved a lot (my grandfather trying to find work), never had much of anything until much later in life.

My father (also grew up during the depression) hoards things.  Not "Hoarders" type but still.  On the other hand, his mom died (of childbirth) when he was young, his dad abandoned him at a relatives, etc etc.  He holds onto stuff.

I like to think I'm a happy medium - I treasure some things (my great grandmothers cut glass bowl she brought from England, my grandmothers silverware), but keep my possesions minimal.  My husband has next to nothing from growing up - I used to tease him about being in witness protection!   He has a hockey puck from a game he ushered in 8th grade, and the first coffee mug he ever bought (he was 19).  And literally, that's it.  No yearbooks, no pictures - nothing.

My son doesn't seem to have an emotional attachement to things except his baby blanket.  Even as a teenager, he'd pull it out when things went bad, and sleep with it under his pillow.  So much has worn away, it literally fits in a one quart zip lock bag!

My older daughter is very attached to her "stuff."  If she's owned it, held it, whatever - she keeps it.

Middle daughter?  Very few things she keeps - quite pragmatic, not really sentimental at all.

Youngest is 17.  She still keeps a lot of stuff - not because she wants it, but because she feels terrible throwing ANYTHING away!  She's gotta work on that or she WILL be on Hoarders!

PinkieRed
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 7:43 PM
I'll be 39 this year, and I still have the pink baby blanket that my dad bought for me the day I was born. And yes, I still sleep with it every night (can't fall asleep without it), LOL!

It's my most prized possession, besides my old photos of my kids.

If God forbid all my possessions were destroyed in a disaster, I'd be most heartbroken about my blanket and irreplaceable photos.

Quoting Not_A_Native:

I think it all depends on the person.

My mom doesn't care about much of any "things."  She grew up during the depression, moved a lot (my grandfather trying to find work), never had much of anything until much later in life.

My father (also grew up during the depression) hoards things.  Not "Hoarders" type but still.  On the other hand, his mom died (of childbirth) when he was young, his dad abandoned him at a relatives, etc etc.  He holds onto stuff.

I like to think I'm a happy medium - I treasure some things (my great grandmothers cut glass bowl she brought from England, my grandmothers silverware), but keep my possesions minimal.  My husband has next to nothing from growing up - I used to tease him about being in witness protection!   He has a hockey puck from a game he ushered in 8th grade, and the first coffee mug he ever bought (he was 19).  And literally, that's it.  No yearbooks, no pictures - nothing.

My son doesn't seem to have an emotional attachement to things except his baby blanket.  Even as a teenager, he'd pull it out when things went bad, and sleep with it under his pillow.  So much has worn away, it literally fits in a one quart zip lock bag!

My older daughter is very attached to her "stuff."  If she's owned it, held it, whatever - she keeps it.

Middle daughter?  Very few things she keeps - quite pragmatic, not really sentimental at all.

Youngest is 17.  She still keeps a lot of stuff - not because she wants it, but because she feels terrible throwing ANYTHING away!  She's gotta work on that or she WILL be on Hoarders!

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
PinkieRed
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 7:44 PM
Forgot to add that it's so awesome about the soccer ball! What are the odds of it turning up like that, and being reunited with its owner?!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Jessiejack
by Silver Member on Apr. 25, 2012 at 10:06 PM
I have one. It is my stuffed dog that I have had since a was 2. I don't sleep with it but it is on a shelf in the livingroom. My DD saves everything. But she does not have one item she treasures. To her they are all treasures. I am not sure how she would feel. I used to take pictures of everything and save every memory item I could. About a year ago my friend came for a visit. I was so happy to see her and spend so much time with her. She is now blind. Gave me a new outlook on possession. I dont save much anymore and have gotten rid of a lot of the stuff I did save.
fantasticfour
by Grumpy on Apr. 25, 2012 at 10:20 PM

That's cool and now he has an awesome story to go along with it!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)