Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Moms with Teens Moms with Teens

Would you buy your son condoms?

Posted by   + Show Post

Would you provide your son 15 and older with condoms if you suspected he was having sex or know he was having sex or may have it. Of course, along with "the talk" etc.  I always said and thought I never would when friends with older boys told me they had.  I may have even been secretly appalled.  With that said I have changed my mind with my now almost 16 yr old.  Just wondering what others have or think they would do.

by on Apr. 26, 2012 at 10:13 AM
Replies (61-70):
even17
by on Apr. 26, 2012 at 3:00 PM
3 moms liked this

Quoting 3rd2bedue:

No, because there would be no need. I would make it my business to know if my sons were sexually active or not. If they found it appealing enough to not listen to reason, (we would discuss it of course, & upon going against my wishes)- i would then find it very appealing to send them to a military academy asap! I dont compromise my parenting. 

with all due respect, i think thats a little naive. you cant monitor your child's every move. if a teen wants to have sex they will find a way to do so.  you cant monitor him every moment of every day, and you cant read his mind.

hopefully he will have the same values as you and what im saying will be moot, and i dont argue with the desire that your child wait. but you cant monitor his every move and you cant be certain that there will be no need.

shouldnt he know how to be  safe if he does choose to disobey you?

mik1of3
by on Apr. 26, 2012 at 3:05 PM
1 mom liked this

Yes I would, if I had a son. 

I'll be putting my daughter on the Pill when she's 16 (next year) AND teaching her how to properly apply a condom, too.  Not because I'm encouraging or expecting her to have sex...she knows how we feel about that...but because she will probably listen to me as much as I listened to my mom.  And my mom put ME on the pill when I was 16.    (She didn't do the condom thing, though...and I wish she would have.)

tyfry7496
by Silver Member on Apr. 26, 2012 at 3:30 PM
2 moms liked this
Exactly!!!

Quoting lnrmom:

Yes. I'd rather buy condoms than diapers.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
2teens2LOs
by on Apr. 26, 2012 at 3:32 PM

at 16 yr old when they can drive and be out "alone" w/ girls, then yes- its time to prepare them because when the heat of the moment hits- they aren't gonna stop to ask for one! or to go buy one and unless you want to be a g-ma, yeah... go get him some!

cuz then no one can say he wasnt prepared IF that happens.

Sent mine a text on prom night that stated-

YUCK, but I dont want you to say you forgot a CONDOM- GROSS!

LOL 

and guess what- he is 17 1/2 and I have faith he still hasn't needed them!

skittles2011
by on Apr. 26, 2012 at 3:37 PM
1 mom liked this

I have 2 boys and i wouldnt have any issues with buying them condoms after having 'the talk' with them. id rather by condoms, then have them have to deal with the consequences of not using them.

2teens2LOs
by on Apr. 26, 2012 at 3:38 PM

lol ours came w/ an instruction manual!  and he read it!

Quoting LancesMom:

welcomeNice to meet you! Yes I would and I'd whip out a condom and a banana and teach him how to use it!

m0m23b0ys458
by Member on Apr. 26, 2012 at 3:43 PM
2 moms liked this

Absolutely!!!And my son knows he can come to me or his dad if he needs some before I catch on(doubt that'll happen.lol).My son is 13 now & is nowhere near even thinking of needing condoms.But when he is,he knows we're going to provide them.

2teens2LOs
by on Apr. 26, 2012 at 3:44 PM

if you "knew he was doing it" isn't that too late? they need them before they do it... right?

or that's how I see it.

Quoting blessedmom1978:

My son is 15 and yes if i knew was having sex I would.  Even if you don't want your kids to have sex they will do it anyways. I want my son to be smart and not become a father or get some diease.

steffers96
by on Apr. 26, 2012 at 3:55 PM
1 mom liked this

I better never find my son having sex! We don't believe in premarital sex and are instilling that in him as well. I would never buy our son condoms. Not a chance!!

PinkieRed
by on Apr. 26, 2012 at 4:06 PM
I have a 9 year old son, and when the time comes that he's interested in girls (as a teen), I absolutely would/will buy him condoms.

I also have a 14 year old daughter, and we've had many talks about sex and relationships, about how she should expect to be treated with respect by boys, not allowing herself to be pressured into doing anything she's uncomfortable with, etc.

She has not had a boyfriend yet, and she knows that I would prefer that she wait until she is a few years older to have sex.

But, I've also told her that when she is in a serious relationship, and feels ready to have sex, that I will take her to the doctor for birth control.

I won't hide my head in the sand and think that she won't have sex until she's out of her teen years, and then act dumbfounded if she becomes pregnant.

I am not naïve, I know that there are girls having sex at 14, 15 years old. Look at the teen moms group on CafeMom - there's plenty of evidence of it right there.

I want her to have the knowledge to make good decisions about sex, and to have the means to protect herself against pregnancy when she chooses to do so.

We've also discussed condoms and STDs as well.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)