Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Moms with Teens Moms with Teens

College for less-than-perfect student ?? Please share your story

Posted by on Apr. 28, 2012 at 8:57 PM
  • 14 Replies

OK here's my story. DS, age 17 is a mildly autistic genius with failing grades. He attends a very rigorous high school and is struggling to graduate on time in 2013. He could go someplace that has a less heavy homework load and earn better grades, but he loves his school. Even though he isn't getting things turned in, he loves the mental stimulation. He is friends with other kids with IEPs, and also with the popular kids and brainiacs. He wants to go to college, but I don't know how we'll make it happen.

He wants to major in entrepreneurship or education. Could be a social studies teacher because he loves to discuss history and politics. Has anyone else managed to send a less than likely student off to college?  Please share. Where did your child go, did he/she get any scholarships??

Has anyone had their child wait a year ro mature before going off to college?

We thought about having him start off at a community college and live at home, but then found out most schools give the largest scholarships only to incoming freshmen; much less aid is available for transfers.

Thanks for any ideas. 

Andreaboy kissing mom

by on Apr. 28, 2012 at 8:57 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
annie2244
by Silver Member on Apr. 28, 2012 at 9:08 PM

What's his gpa & act score?  have you googled best college settings for autistic kids? I would imagine a smaller school, maybe with a residential college dorm setting option, small class sizes, high 4 yr grad rate.

PinkieRed
by on Apr. 28, 2012 at 9:57 PM
My 14 year old daughter has a learning disability, ADD, and anxiety, with an IEP.

I don't know either what we'll do as far as college goes. Of course, it's still a while off, as she'll only be starting high school this fall.

I know it's going to be tough figuring it out when it's time.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
rkoloms
by on Apr. 28, 2012 at 10:01 PM

There are universities with programs for kids with special needs. There are probably tons of scholarships and grants, too.

Wantn1more
by on Apr. 28, 2012 at 10:04 PM
Maybe try a two year community college.... Most will accept everyone regardless of scores. Many require an entrance exam and and will place people in "brush up" classes if needed. Class sizes are smaller and its easy to get extra help. They are also cheaper with a multitude of financial aid oppertunities.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
PinkieRed
by on Apr. 28, 2012 at 10:11 PM
Have you heard of any in particular?

Quoting rkoloms:

There are universities with programs for kids with special needs. There are probably tons of scholarships and grants, too.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Jessiejack
by Silver Member on Apr. 28, 2012 at 10:11 PM
Also there is online schools for after the 2 years of community college. You don't need to go to a 4 year college to get a good job in life and after all that is what it all boiles down to isn't it.
lucky2Beeme
by Gold Member on Apr. 28, 2012 at 10:48 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting PinkieRed:

Quoting rkoloms:

Curry College here in Ma. does.

Surround yourself with people that add to your life not subtract from it.

lucky2Beeme
by Gold Member on Apr. 28, 2012 at 10:49 PM
1 mom liked this

also my sons friend went to community college for 2 years. Made great grades. Applied to several larger school and got 50% scholarship to Univeristy of Tampa.

rkoloms
by on Apr. 29, 2012 at 5:20 AM
1 mom liked this

Quoting PinkieRed:

Quoting rkoloms:

In the 1980s, my cousin attended such a program at the University of Wisconsin - Janesville; I don't know if the program still exists.

I would think that his guidance counselor would have information on this. there seems to many programs: https://www.google.com/search?rlz=1C1LENN_enUS458US458&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8&q=university+iep#hl=en&rlz=1C1LENN_enUS458US458&sclient=psy-ab&q=university+special+needs+students&oq=university+special+needs+students&aq=f&aqi=g-v1&aql=1&gs_nf=1&gs_l=serp.3..0i15.9090.10395.0.10810.8.8.0.0.0.0.322.1592.0j2j4j1.7.0.cqn%2Cfixedpos%3Dfalse%2Cboost_normal%3D20%2Cboost_high%3D1000%2Ccconf%3D0-95%2Cmin_length%3D2%2Crate_low%3D0-006%2Crate_high%3D0-006.1.lH5gbgmLrZs&pbx=1&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.r_cp.r_qf.,cf.osb&fp=160a46efcf63646c&biw=1366&bih=705

LCLMBSC
by on Apr. 29, 2012 at 10:02 AM

A former student of mine with Asperger's - basically what it sounds like you are describing - went right after school and did poorly.  He worked a couple of years, went back, and did well.  Compton, however, like your son, and like me, does better with more stimulating assignments and workloads...so don't assume the worst.  I might leave it up to him and see what happens.  I barely scraped through high school -- attending more would have helped.  I was a so-so undergrad, a decent MA candidate, and a 4.0 Ph.D. candidate...the pattern's kinda obvious.  The harder the work is, the better I perform.  Also, the more focused the work is on my "area", the better I perform.  Hope this helps.  Lisa 

Quoting chicanueva:

OK here's my story. DS, age 17 is a mildly autistic genius with failing grades. He attends a very rigorous high school and is struggling to graduate on time in 2013. He could go someplace that has a less heavy homework load and earn better grades, but he loves his school. Even though he isn't getting things turned in, he loves the mental stimulation. He is friends with other kids with IEPs, and also with the popular kids and brainiacs. He wants to go to college, but I don't know how we'll make it happen.

He wants to major in entrepreneurship or education. Could be a social studies teacher because he loves to discuss history and politics. Has anyone else managed to send a less than likely student off to college?  Please share. Where did your child go, did he/she get any scholarships??

Has anyone had their child wait a year ro mature before going off to college?

We thought about having him start off at a community college and live at home, but then found out most schools give the largest scholarships only to incoming freshmen; much less aid is available for transfers.

Thanks for any ideas. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN