Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Moms with Teens Moms with Teens

If this is the worst thing she does, we are WAY ahead!

Posted by on Apr. 29, 2012 at 4:33 PM
  • 17 Replies
2 moms liked this

For the last two years, our sixteen year old has been begging to get her cartilage pierced. First, we said no; when you are 18 you can do what you want. Then, hoping it would get her to be less lazy, we told her if she could pull off straight As (haven't seen them since 7th grade), we would take her to get it done.

A couple of days ago, Howardmy spouse was dropping her at school (he had an appointment a couple of blocks away, and she asked him again; he said yes (can you say, sleeping on couch?).

Last night, the child came home from her friend's house with her cartilage pierced. The friend has done this at least a dozen times, and I expected this. In fact, I asked my daughter if her friend had pierced the cartilage before I saw her ear (I always trust my "mommy sense").

She asked me if I was mad; I said no, I am very disappointed. Well, the D word turned on the waterworks. The spouse and I discussed it; as long as she keeps it clean, and pays for a doctor's visit if it gets infected, we will let her keep it.

Only 16 months until college!

Robin in Chicago

by on Apr. 29, 2012 at 4:33 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
PinkieRed
by on Apr. 29, 2012 at 4:42 PM
Ah, sounds like my daughter - she is so sensitive!

I don't blame you for not being happy for going against your rules.

Still, it sure as heck beats something like getting a tattoo without permission, or drinking or smoking!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
boys2men2soon
by Kimberly on Apr. 29, 2012 at 9:22 PM

Well, you got your DD straightened out.....what are you going to do with her Dad??  LoL.     Any hope of seeing those lovely A's?

bizzeemom2717
by Jen on Apr. 29, 2012 at 9:26 PM
It would have upset me if my DD went against my rules.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
pinkyheather
by on Apr. 29, 2012 at 11:13 PM

so her friend did it? eeesh! that creeps me out like you wouldn't believe.

fantasticfour
by Grumpy on Apr. 30, 2012 at 12:27 AM

I would have been very upset.  First of all you said no, and second an "amature" did it and is more likely to cause problems and infections than if someone who specialized did it.

rkoloms
by on Apr. 30, 2012 at 5:53 AM

Quoting boys2men2soon:

Well, you got your DD straightened out.....what are you going to do with her Dad??  LoL.     Any hope of seeing those lovely A's?

The dad is kind of the issue.

Right now, she has Bs in her two AP classes, and As in everything else. One AP class (English Composition) will probably be back at an a; the other (Government), well, we will be happy with the B

rkoloms
by on Apr. 30, 2012 at 5:55 AM

Quoting fantasticfour:

I would have been very upset.  First of all you said no, and second an "amature" did it and is more likely to cause problems and infections than if someone who specialized did it.

I said no, my spouse/her father said yes.

The amature has successfully pierced several ears, sterlized everything, and (unless at a tatoo parlor) no worries about Hepatitis

rkoloms
by on Apr. 30, 2012 at 5:57 AM

Quoting pinkyheather:

so her friend did it? eeesh! that creeps me out like you wouldn't believe.

the whole concept of piercing cartilage creeps me out!

rkoloms
by on Apr. 30, 2012 at 5:58 AM

Quoting bizzeemom2717:

It would have upset me if my DD went against my rules.

We can call this story: when parents don't agree. Frankly, in 16 years of parenting, this is the biggest disagreement we have had. 

Cara5
by on Apr. 30, 2012 at 11:05 AM
1 mom liked this

Her dad told her "yes".  Its not her fault the two of you are not in agreement, but you need to work it out with her husband.  

I think the terms you set are fair, and I think its fair to convey that you are disappointed and know that she manipulated her dad by asking a question she knew the answer to, when you were not around, but at the end of the day, dad said yes, so you cant punish her for it. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)