Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Moms with Teens Moms with Teens

DS has a 1.3GPA and may not graduate. I think he is bored. Check out a writing sample and give me your two cents.

Posted by on Apr. 29, 2012 at 5:41 PM
  • 10 Replies

liarSo, my DS plagiarized the writing. GRRRRRR!

by on Apr. 29, 2012 at 5:41 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mumsy2three
by Shauna on Apr. 29, 2012 at 6:00 PM

This is an email that has been circulating for a few years now. He may of changed some of wording but I know I have received emails very similar to this.

I found this at the following link:

http://www.goodeatsfanpage.com/humor/otherhumor/dog_cat_diary.htm

Day 983 of My Captivity

My captors continue to taunt me with bizarre little dangling objects. They dine lavishly on fresh meat, while the other inmates and I are fed hash or some sort of dry nuggets. Although I make my contempt for the rations perfectly clear, I nevertheless must eat something in order to keep up my strength.

The only thing that keeps me going is my dream of escape. In an attempt to disgust them, I once again vomit on the carpet. Today I decapitated a mouse and dropped its headless body at their feet. I had hoped this would strike fear into their hearts, since it clearly demonstrates my capabilities. However, they merely made condescending comments about what a "good little hunter" I am. Bastards!

There was some sort of assembly of their accomplices tonight. I was placed in solitary confinement for the duration of the event. However, I could hear the noises and smell the food. I overheard that my confinement was due to the power of "allergies." I must learn what this means, and how to use it to my advantage.

Today I was almost successful in an attempt to assassinate one of my tormentors by weaving around his feet as he was walking. I must try this again tomorrow, but at the top of the stairs.

I am convinced that the other prisoners here are flunkies and snitches. The dog receives special privileges. He is regularly released, and seems to be more than willing to return. He is obviously retarded. The bird must be an informant. I observe him communicate with the guards regularly. I am certain that he reports my every move. My captors have arranged protective custody for him in an elevated cell, so he is safe. For now ...

mommy259
by on Apr. 29, 2012 at 6:01 PM

Quoting mumsy2three:

This is an email that has been circulating for a few years now. He may of changed some of wording but I know I have received emails very similar to this.

Day 983 of My Captivity

My captors continue to taunt me with bizarre little dangling objects. They dine lavishly on fresh meat, while the other inmates and I are fed hash or some sort of dry nuggets. Although I make my contempt for the rations perfectly clear, I nevertheless must eat something in order to keep up my strength.

The only thing that keeps me going is my dream of escape. In an attempt to disgust them, I once again vomit on the carpet. Today I decapitated a mouse and dropped its headless body at their feet. I had hoped this would strike fear into their hearts, since it clearly demonstrates my capabilities. However, they merely made condescending comments about what a "good little hunter" I am. Bastards!

There was some sort of assembly of their accomplices tonight. I was placed in solitary confinement for the duration of the event. However, I could hear the noises and smell the food. I overheard that my confinement was due to the power of "allergies." I must learn what this means, and how to use it to my advantage.

Today I was almost successful in an attempt to assassinate one of my tormentors by weaving around his feet as he was walking. I must try this again tomorrow, but at the top of the stairs.

I am convinced that the other prisoners here are flunkies and snitches. The dog receives special privileges. He is regularly released, and seems to be more than willing to return. He is obviously retarded. The bird must be an informant. I observe him communicate with the guards regularly. I am certain that he reports my every move. My captors have arranged protective custody for him in an elevated cell, so he is safe. For now ...

rkoloms
by on Apr. 29, 2012 at 6:15 PM
2 moms liked this

He may be better off getting a GED, and taking classes at a community college

PinkieRed
by on Apr. 29, 2012 at 6:15 PM
I've gotten that email before, too.

Quoting mumsy2three:

Day 983 of My Captivity

My captors continue to taunt me
with bizarre little dangling objects. They dine lavishly on fresh meat,
while the other inmates and I are fed hash or some sort of dry nuggets.
Although I make my contempt for the rations perfectly clear, I
nevertheless must eat something in order to keep up my strength.

The only thing that keeps me going
is my dream of escape. In an attempt to disgust them, I once again vomit
on the carpet. Today I decapitated a mouse and dropped its headless body
at their feet. I had hoped this would strike fear into their hearts,
since it clearly demonstrates my capabilities. However, they merely made
condescending comments about what a "good little hunter" I am. Bastards!

There was some sort of assembly of
their accomplices tonight. I was placed in solitary confinement for the
duration of the event. However, I could hear the noises and smell the
food. I overheard that my confinement was due to the power of
"allergies." I must learn what this means, and how to use it to my
advantage.

Today I was almost successful in
an attempt to assassinate one of my tormentors by weaving around his
feet as he was walking. I must try this again tomorrow, but at the top
of the stairs.

I am convinced that the other
prisoners here are flunkies and snitches. The dog receives special
privileges. He is regularly released, and seems to be more than willing
to return. He is obviously retarded. The bird must be an informant. I
observe him communicate with the guards regularly. I am certain that he
reports my every move. My captors have arranged protective custody for
him in an elevated cell, so he is safe. For now ...

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
PinkieRed
by on Apr. 29, 2012 at 6:17 PM
What's going on with your son? Is the decline in his GPA recent, or has this been going on for sometime? Is he having other issues at school, like problems with other kids?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
babyboyzz
by on Apr. 29, 2012 at 6:41 PM

Thank you ladies! I had no idea, I just took him on his word.  That little pain in the butt!  He has had declining grades for years. We have had testing done, counseling and tutors. He just doesn't want to do the work.  He took the ACT Tuesday. We will get those results in a few weeks. I'm so sad that he plagiarised. Again thank you for letting me know.

PinkieRed
by on Apr. 29, 2012 at 6:51 PM
2 moms liked this

Unfortunately, that's when you have to let him suffer the consequences of his actions. You can make him go to school, but you can't make him want to learn. He'll figure out soon enough that life is not easy without a high school diploma or GED.

What are his plans for after high school? Obviously college is not an option unless he at least gets a GED. Does he have a job at all?

I'd set some kind of conditions for him to keep living at home after he turns 18, such as getting his GED, and either going to a community college (as rkoloms suggested), and/or working.

I dropped out of high school in the 11th grade (not by my choice - long story). I got my GED, and a diploma (in secretarial/office skills) from a local trade school within a year. I also had a full time job, from the age of 17. I started college at a state university when I was 19, and went off and on while working, getting married, having kids, etc, for 10 years. I finally graduated with my bachelor's when I was 29.

It was a long, hard road. I wish that I could have graduated from high school the traditional way, and have graduated from college when I was 21, 22, but things didn't work out that way.

Still, I know that I'm much better off having gotten my GED, and my degree, than if I had never gone back to school after dropping out. I hope your son will choose to get at least his GED, and hopefully some more education after that.

Quoting babyboyzz:

Thank you ladies! I had no idea, I just took him on his word.  That little pain in the butt!  He has had declining grades for years. We have had testing done, counseling and tutors. He just doesn't want to do the work.  He took the ACT Tuesday. We will get those results in a few weeks. I'm so sad that he plagiarised. Again thank you for letting me know.

Mbpeaceful12
by Member on Apr. 29, 2012 at 7:31 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting rkoloms:

He may be better off getting a GED, and taking classes at a community college

I agree, too,but one must be very determined and self-disciplined to get a G.E.D. My husband who earned one due to his thinking that school was a waste of time, told me that it is a test that crams everything you learned or should learn from the first time you entered school up until high school commencement. I am not saying that it cannot be done, but if you and your son decide to take this route, there must be time craved out for studying and whatever else needed for this endeavour. There are also night school (or adult school),continuation, and JobCorps (or JobsCorps-my husband also went that route and loved it). Unfortunately, many students feel bored in school due to the one-size fits all approach to education, educators teaching to the test in order to keep their jobs, and high-stake constant testing thanks to No Child Left Behind and Race to the Top ( I am currently working on my Single Subject Credential and Master of Arts in Education and I have children who I believe should have the same opportunities I did, so I totally understand your situation). You have options, and for each option, you must weigh out the pros and cons.

I wish the best of luck to the both of you.

mumsy2three
by Shauna on Apr. 29, 2012 at 8:19 PM

I'm sorry :(

I agree that maybe a GED is the way to go with your son. It's going to be a decision he'll have to make if he doesn't graduate. Is he willing to go back next fall to complete the credits he needs to graduate?

boys2men2soon
by Kimberly on Apr. 29, 2012 at 8:48 PM

I am so sorry.    If he turned in a paper he plagarized....he could be expelled.    

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)