Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Moms with Teens Moms with Teens

What words/expressions should we ban?

Posted by   + Show Post
If I hear YOLO one more time, I will scream!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on May. 1, 2012 at 2:49 PM
Replies (111-120):
PinkieRed
by on May. 3, 2012 at 9:14 AM
Yes!!! Amen to that!

I always stress the importance of proper grammar to my kids. There's a time and a place for slang.

Slang is fine for a casual conversation with friends, but NOT appropriate for school work and formal situations, like job interviews.

Quoting peacheylady:

That and children and young teens use the slang so much, they write like this in SCHOOL. I told my daughter, you can text that to your friends, but when it comes to school stuff. It better be the right way.

Quoting countrymomma81:

I hate most slang and abbreviations. I do tend to use LOL a lot though. But laugh out loud just looks ridiculous. 

I can't stand the way people type now. All the extra letters and spelling words wrong on purpose. Don't they just realize they are setting themselves up to forget a lifetime of education?

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
rkoloms
by on May. 3, 2012 at 9:24 AM
2 moms liked this

Quoting PinkieRed:

Here's a word I HATE hearing (I see it on CafeMom all the time): "vajayjay" (for vagina). Gag! That just sounds so stupid to me!

Especially, since half the time they mean vulva, not vagina

MamatoKy
by on May. 3, 2012 at 9:27 AM

YOLO! you only live once. lmao

lovinmykiddo07
by on May. 3, 2012 at 9:34 AM
2 moms liked this

lol I've said it once. Once I realized what I said I was like, Oh my... I need to cut back The Office.

I also dislike it when people (usually its teens) say, "Oh thats gay" or "thats (insert "r" word)."  My friend's teenage daughter told me one day "dont be a fag". Um, excuse me? o_O

Quoting tyfry7496:

That's on " The Office" and other tv shows.

Quoting PosinourHarmony:

I ABSOLUTELY POSITIVELY HATE the Phrase "That's what she said!!" OMG!! I wanna find who ever invented that phrase and cut out their tounge!! UGH!! That's the one that stands out. I'm sure there's more!

PinkieRed
by on May. 3, 2012 at 9:39 AM
Two more that I hate - "hun" instead of "Honey" and "I'ma" or "imma", instead of "I'm going to", as in "Imma call you later".
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
TinkerbellFairy
by on May. 3, 2012 at 9:43 AM
1 mom liked this

The teens here in Nor Cal say "Hella" or the younger kids say "Hecka" Like "thats Hella good." OMG, I can't STAND those words. LOL Whats weird, I have no idea why it irritates me. LOL

mibebe1982
by on May. 3, 2012 at 9:45 AM

Yo! is my sons fav

haydsmom2007
by on May. 3, 2012 at 9:50 AM

i like that song. lol.

Sandiekd21
by on May. 3, 2012 at 9:51 AM
2 moms liked this

There are so many for me... Let me start with the biggest one.
I HATE, absolutely HATE "I know, right?" It sounds so ignorant and everytime I hear it, I cringe and just want to tell the person to shut up!
Also, there's this girl in my class who says "Whenever." Instead of when. Example sentence- "Whenever I was first learining to drive..." Hello! I want to smack her whenever she says it. She sounds dumb! I get this strong urge to plug my ears and hum everytime she opens her mouth!
Sorta off topic- I once told DF "KWIM?" And he sarcastically said, "Knees wobbly in midair?" So, now when we talk and one of us wants to make sure the other understands, we say, "Knees wobbly in midair?" LOL. We have fun together and can be crazy, too. It's awesome!

Mother to (IMO) the two best kids EVER born. I am a vaxing, corporal punishment (when called for!), loving, teaching my kids to be good, kind, caring, strong, independant people kinda MOMMA.
I am almost an LMT and love making people feel good!

MrsBridges19
by on May. 3, 2012 at 9:56 AM

Apparently illy means 'fresh' or 'cool'.  ILY means I love you...

Quoting gemini53176:

Quoting rkoloms:

i dont think so, lil wayne says im illy in a couple of his songs

CafeMom Tickers

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN