Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Moms with Teens Moms with Teens

What words/expressions should we ban?

Posted by   + Show Post
If I hear YOLO one more time, I will scream!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on May. 1, 2012 at 2:49 PM
Replies (281-290):
MomSince91
by on May. 3, 2012 at 11:20 PM
1 mom liked this
Love how new generations have their own lingo. We had ours. I'm sure it drove people nuts. Granted, it can get on my nerves at times but gotta love something new and fresh. Keeps us from stagnation. The only thing I won't let my kids do is call each other or others Chimos. For those of you who don't know, Chimo is short for child molestor. They say it in fun but I don't think it is funny at all.
Uzma_mom_of_2
by on May. 3, 2012 at 11:34 PM

I'm 30 and say "I'm good." :) I've said it so long, it's habit.

Don't think my kids using slang will bother me much, and long as it's not disrespectful.

I very rarely bother to check a board twice, so debate, get mad, or whatever it is that'll make you feel better, if you don't like what I have to say, because it won't bother me :)sticking out tongue

SaphiraJFire
by on May. 3, 2012 at 11:39 PM

I have heard 2 different things it means I hear it means you only live once, but I have also heard on the urban dictionary it means you obviously lack originality. Knowing kids the second is the more likely meaning of it, but idk.

I guess its is up to who says it which one thhey mean by it.

NanaNeema
by on May. 3, 2012 at 11:53 PM

I am so glad you posted this!  Hearing these terms used by older people and not just kids really makes me bristle...I just think they are trying to fit in with the kids...but in reality, as you stated, they just sound juvenile and ignorant.  Why do people feel the need to talk in shorthand..is their life that busy that they don't have a few seconds to use real words?  The use of "whatever" is another one that riles me..I find it rude and in bad manners.  My daughter uses it a lot when we have a disagreement..it's her way of ending a conversation when the discussion isn't going in her favor.

Quoting melissa632:

Can we get rid of baby momma & baby daddy? It sounds so...I don't even know...juvenile, maybe? I stop listening and/or reading as soon as I see/hear it. Same goes for anywho.

samom210
by on May. 4, 2012 at 12:36 AM
YOLO..
..is the in thing with my 4 teenagers.....it's so bad my husband is saying to the extreme now...there's also "can u not"......meaning if u say something, n that person doesn't like exactly what u say then they say, "can u not"".........

ADHDmommyandson
by on May. 4, 2012 at 12:49 AM

Quoting 39holding519:

My sons use "NARP" & Nube" mostly.

lol sounds like your sons are gamers my son uses nub or nube or noob  or newb  all the time. One day he was 4 and i got cut off by a BIG van i yelled out "WHAT THE HECK WAS THAT" my son from the back seat yells out "its just a noob in a van "   also the odd things i see ppl use like bish  or i ish this ish ......  meish drives me nuts also FTW  took me weeks to figure that one out

and for the parents with gaming kids why in the world woudl they pick the word RAPE if they kill someone its oh man i raped them  or if they are gonna kill someone its im gonna rape you  i HATE that one the most thank god my son doesnt use that one he knows momma wont be happy if i hear that pass his lips

JoEllyn1962
by Member on May. 4, 2012 at 1:16 AM

I hate when my Dd says KK for "okay". KK has two syllables and so does the word okay, so if you are speaking this, it is not shorter or faster to say okay by saying KK. So, you might as well just say the proper word of okay.

-JoJo

annismom10
by on May. 4, 2012 at 1:16 AM
I had to put travis N angela on my facebook page because they wouldn't approve and. ( my husband & i share the page) & i am very well spoken. So be careful with your stereotypes.

Quoting sqrocket:

I think that sometimes slang can be used well. I personally really like noob, derp, and troll. That said, I hate the CM shorthand and I also hate it when people use "n" instead of "and" because I picture them talking like that and my mind immediately attaches all the stupid person stereotypes to them.

Back to CM shorthand, the worst is KWIM-there is no reason to say this even when if you type the phrase out fully. I also hate SMH and TTC. Not to mention all the random acronyms for breastfeeding.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Ihold8Stars
by on May. 4, 2012 at 1:30 AM
I've 3 teens never heard YOLO think that would drive me batty!

My peeves are "OWENED" or " OWNAGE" PWNED" Grandma" and no not addressing Grammy they use it as a insult like your slow intellectually.

Omg and hearing your 16yr old son say "Dang she's stacked" has gotta stop lol

I guess we drove our folks crazy to right? Wat up doh- straight, yo you aight? Breezy sure didn't mean air Each generation thinks they invented cool ;)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Ihold8Stars
by on May. 4, 2012 at 1:33 AM
Lol I agree 100% you know who texts me that it's not a kid.. My 47yr old cousin!!

Quoting JoEllyn1962:

I hate when my Dd says KK for "okay". KK has two syllables and so does the word okay, so if you are speaking this, it is not shorter or faster to say okay by saying KK. So, you might as well just say the proper word of okay.

-JoJo

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)