Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Moms with Teens Moms with Teens

Teens getting body piercings and tattoos

Posted by on May. 1, 2012 at 9:41 PM
  • 61 Replies

At what age do you think is acceptable for a teenager to get a tattoo or body piercing?

by on May. 1, 2012 at 9:41 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
atlmom2
by Susie on May. 1, 2012 at 9:46 PM
3 moms liked this

Never really other than ears. After 18 for sure. My dd has 2 tattoos we hate.  Luckily she got them on her feet so 90% of the year no one sees them.  She promised no more, EVER.  No one under 18 should get one to me.  Most have regrets later. 

Cindy18
by Bronze Member on May. 1, 2012 at 9:49 PM
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Mommy2BeAmy
by on May. 1, 2012 at 9:51 PM
1 mom liked this

When they are paying their own bills..but still then, never lol

PinkieRed
by on May. 1, 2012 at 10:16 PM
I agree with 18 or older, particularly for tattoos. At least body piercings can easily be taken out if a person gets tired of it.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
boys2men2soon
by Kimberly on May. 1, 2012 at 10:25 PM

I don't.   I convinced my son to wait until age 21 to get a tattoo.  

Momabear455
by on May. 1, 2012 at 10:29 PM
1 mom liked this

Well they should at least be 18, because if they ever grow up to hate the tatto they can only blame themselves.  Ears being pierced doesn't really matter.  But if my child was still living at home they would not be getting their tongue or nose pierced.  I think it looks disgusting and is silly.

Jessiejack
by Silver Member on May. 1, 2012 at 10:52 PM
Never would be my hope. but when she is an adult and I don't have to look at it all the time. She can pay for it.
fantasticfour
by Grumpy on May. 2, 2012 at 12:26 AM

An ear pierced, as soon as my daughter was old enough.  A boy, when he feels that he wants one.  Anything else pierced, well it's not my cup of tea and I don't have to worry about it with my kids because 1 is so allergic to metals she can barely wear earings and the other doesn't at all and my son doesn't want anything pierced.

Tatoos, when I am not supporting them.  If they have that much money to blow, they can buy something for their new apartment.

bizzeemom2717
by Jen on May. 2, 2012 at 12:46 AM
Nope never except for my DD having one piercing in each ear. When people say you can just take them out..the whole is STILL visible in most cases...the same goes for tatoos no way in he** is any kid under the age of 18 mature enough to make a decision that has life long consequences...this is one rule I will NEVER budge on and thank God none of my kids has ever had any interest.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jadelily
by on May. 2, 2012 at 1:23 AM
1 mom liked this

My dd is 14 and has her nose pierced. Really, I don't think it's that big of a deal. It's small, and most people don't even notice it. We had it done professionally, of course, and she paid for it.

I'm not sure how young you can have tattoos, but those I would make my child wait until 18. I don't personally like tattoos, but there's not a lot I can do to stop them as adults.

As far as taking it out when she's tired of it, most likely it will heal and no one will ever know it was there. I had a nose ring as a young adult, and there is no mark where it was.

My 8 year old has double ear piercings. My mother actually took her and had it done after my dd begged and begged. It's just earrings, I don't see the issue. Who even notices anyone has more than one ear piercing. If you are paying that much attention to my child, you are stepping over the line.

The only thing I am really, totally, definitely opposed to is gauges. That isn't something you can just take out. Plus, it creeps me out to see people who have gauged their ears but don't have the gauges in.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)