Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Would you let a teenage boy babysit your babies?  Would you have when they were babies?  Non-related teenage boys.  My son wants to babysit, is really good with children, but everyone wants his little sister.

by on May. 2, 2012 at 12:28 AM
Replies (21-30):
mumsy2three
by Shauna on May. 2, 2012 at 3:59 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting luckysevenwow:

Yep cause from experience boys can be just as good at it as girls.

This. My dd has two guy friends that I would've hired in a heartbeat if I needed a sitter (our dd watched her little brothers when needed so we never needed to hire one) One of them actually took the pre school classes while he was in high school.

Momabear455
by on May. 2, 2012 at 4:02 PM

No I would not but it's simply because there have been too many boys that abuse girls.  I wouldn't trust a boy especially someone I didn't know.  Even if he didn't do anything bad you do have people out there that the first time something happens may accuse your boy of doing something he didn't do.  But that's just my opinion.

PinkieRed
by on May. 2, 2012 at 6:21 PM
1 mom liked this
I think it's sad that so many people will automatically distrust a teenage boy who wants to babysit. Many boys and men are very good with babies.

Honestly, my husband was much better with our daughter as a little baby, than I was. I had babysat as a teenager, but only for toddlers/older kids, never for any babies. And I am the second youngest of all my siblings, plus my only younger sibling is just 21 months younger than me. So I never had to babysit any siblings.

My husband is something like 4th or 5th youngest of his 15 siblings, and has a ton of nieces and nephews, so he grew up babysitting regularly. He had a lot of experience with babies, while I was pretty much clueless, except for what I knew from reading parenting/baby care books while I was pregnant.

As far as babysitters for my kids, they both mostly were in daycare centers when they were little, and I was working full time. When I very occasionally needed a babysitter other than that, my mother or my (now ex) sister in law would babysit, so I never needed to hire a teen babysitter.

My son for a while as a toddler went to a lady who ran a daycare from her home, and her husband occasionally helped out with the kids. I didn't have a problem with it, and I would have been fine with a male babysitter.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
PinkieRed
by on May. 2, 2012 at 6:26 PM
If your son takes a babysitting/CPR/firstaid class, maybe he could get a summer job as a day camp counselor, through a local rec center or something.

Just a suggestion, since he likes babysitting. Obviously he wouldn't be watching babies, but it would be good experience as far as getting other babysitting jobs.

Quoting fantasticfour:

Would you let a teenage boy babysit your babies?  Would you have when they were babies?  Non-related teenage boys.  My son wants to babysit, is really good with children, but everyone wants his little sister.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
boys2men2soon
by Kimberly on May. 2, 2012 at 8:48 PM

When my guys were little, we had a teen boy babysit a few times.   We knew the family (we were actually out with his parents).      My  boys never babysat.   My oldest did help out with the little kids as a volunteer at Vacation Bible School and childcare at PTA meetings.

bizzeemom2717
by Jen on May. 2, 2012 at 8:53 PM
I just remembered there is a very popular book by Dr. James Dobson called Raising Boys and he strongly suggests boys do not babysit and parents do not allow their boys to do so. Reason being it is more common for false accusations, something like that could ruin a boys chance at college, ect. That was his opinion and I know many follow him and take his advice seriously.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
LucyHarper
by on May. 3, 2012 at 12:43 AM
1 mom liked this

I'm just as likely to hire a boy as a girl. I don't hire people unless they are very close friends for infants, since they can be so delicate so they have to be someone I really trust, but once they get to be older babies or toddlers, I'm fine with it. My husband had my stepson when he was 15 and raised him on his own, so it would be hypocritical for me to say that theres no way a teen boy can be responsible for a baby.

JoEllyn1962
by Member on May. 3, 2012 at 12:47 AM
1 mom liked this

I have used a boy babysitter for my DD. From the age of about 9 to 12, my DD had a teenage girl sitter, but when this girl was not available, her twin brother would watch my DD. If the twin brother was not available, the twins younger brother would babysit for us. So, we had a whole family of teens to pick from for babysitters.

My DD prefereed the girl sitter because they would do girly things together like polish their nails or style their hair, etc. But, as far as keeping an eye on my DD, the boys were just as capable as the girl sitter.

-JoJo

Emmaleigha
by on May. 3, 2012 at 4:39 AM
Yes, my younger sisters boyfriend is 16 and he babysits my son (with and with my sister)
L1558
by on May. 3, 2012 at 8:52 AM
1 mom liked this

Quoting fantasticfour:

He's just getting so frustrated about it.  His 13 year old sister gets all the babysitting jobs and no one will hire him.  He tells me he wants to babysit infants the most.  I asked him why infants (I would rather have potty trained kids myself) and he said because one day he's going to be a father and he wants to learn how to take care of the babies so he can help out his future wife.  What a wonderful sentiment!  Too bad his sister gets all the gigs.

I love this.

What I did with my younger brother, was to take him with me on babysitting gigs so that he could get to know the families and the kids...and I paid him a portion of my income for the night.

Once they were more familiar with my brother, they'd take him even when I couldn't go and I told them that he expected the same pay as I received. Of course, I shorted myself a little bit when I took him with me-- but he's an excellent dad now. :)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)