Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Moms with Teens Moms with Teens

Shattered Dreams

Posted by on May. 3, 2012 at 12:44 PM
  • 5 Replies
1 mom liked this

I know I have shared a few times that I am the school nurse at the junior high and high school in our small town.  Because of this, I get to participate in so many awesome things that are geared towards educating our youth.  This year I was able to be a part of coordinating something called Shattered Dreams.  Shattered Dreams is a program  that teaches the consequences of drinking and driving.  It is mostly meant to inspire our teenagers, but so many other people are touched by it.  Statistics state that every 10-15 minutes a teenager is killed in an alcohol related car wreck.  I am attaching the YouTube link that shows the final cut of the video made.  It is a little over 20 minutes long, but is so good and so touching.  The man that shot and edited the video did so as a volunteer and did an incredible job.  The kids that were apart of it did an awesome job and we are so proud of them.  If you watch it all, please leave an encouraging comment to both him and the kiddos.  I hope that you enjoy it and I hope that this is something that will touch your lives and maybe open up a line of communication between you and your teenager! 

Sharon

http://youtu.be/bzX4KC-2MTQ

by on May. 3, 2012 at 12:44 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
lotsofteens
by on May. 3, 2012 at 2:25 PM
1 mom liked this

There was a presentation at my sons BOCES program called Code Rap - same kind of thing - they had 3 victims of drunk driving of all different types - some were passengers, one was the person responsible for killing someone else, and another was the mother of a little girl that was killed while she was in a van driving down to Disney world for vacation with her father and step family that was hit by a drunk driver somewhere in the Georgia area I believe.  Just horrible, horrible stories.  I believe not only the kids that came that night to the program were affected, but all of the parents as well.  Distracted driving, texting, etc.  some of us are very guilty of these things and I'm trying to be a much better role model for what I want my teens to do... good reminders..

MrsBLB
by on May. 4, 2012 at 11:35 AM

These are awesome programs!  I'm still trying to get the pics of the one held here called "Every 15 Minutes", so I can post them in the group. 

peacheylady
by on May. 4, 2012 at 12:22 PM
Awesome video. The only thing I wish, was that you could hear them talking. Cause sometimes you have more UMPH and affect. For instance when the police officer was doing a field soberity test. When the officer went to notify the parents. Its a awesome video still.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
fantasticfour
by Grumpy on May. 4, 2012 at 1:44 PM

So kind of like the every 15 minutes program?

nursesharon
by on May. 4, 2012 at 2:27 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting peacheylady:

Awesome video. The only thing I wish, was that you could hear them talking. Cause sometimes you have more UMPH and affect. For instance when the police officer was doing a field soberity test. When the officer went to notify the parents. Its a awesome video still.

Thanks.  Last time we did the Shattered Dreams program, we did have talking and we actually thought it took away a bit.  This video is ten times better then it was when we did it 4 years ago. Thanks for watching!!!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN