Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Moms with Teens Moms with Teens

Are my kids really that odd?

Posted by on May. 4, 2012 at 12:41 AM
  • 49 Replies

So my kids are 11 and 13. Every night we eat dinner together or at least the nights I'm not a school. Though the 3 nights I am gone DH does eat dinner with the kids. At night we have family time and DD11 still likes to cuddle with me or DH. DS13 at time will cuddle.

They do not go over to friends homes on a week night. They aren't in sports. Both are into art and drama. We don't have cable so they don't watch any teen shows. They watch a lot of science shows on NetFlix.

I was told my kids are odd and that we should look into why my kids like to cuddle still and why they are sooo "imature".

by on May. 4, 2012 at 12:41 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
nysa76
by on May. 4, 2012 at 12:43 AM
1 mom liked this

My kids like to cuddle.  They are 10, 13, 14 and 17.  The 17 yo doesn't often anymore but when he's bumming, he'll sit by me and rest his head on my shoulder.  I think people expect kids to grow up too fast anymore.

Momof2Stepof3
by on May. 4, 2012 at 12:46 AM

See I lay on the couch on my side a lot and they will fight on who will lay in front of me when I am not feeling well. Since DS turned 13 we don't force family time on him but we do force the eating dinner together but DS has yet to skip a night of family time.

Quoting nysa76:

My kids like to cuddle.  They are 10, 13, 14 and 17.  The 17 yo doesn't often anymore but when he's bumming, he'll sit by me and rest his head on my shoulder.  I think people expect kids to grow up too fast anymore.

Hannahluvsdogs
by Silver Member on May. 4, 2012 at 12:56 AM

Your kids don't sound odd to me. Some kids are more affectionate than others, it doesn't mean they're immature. My 11 year old DD still likes to cuddle too.

GaleJ
by on May. 4, 2012 at 1:04 AM
1 mom liked this

No your children are not "odd" just because they don't live up to all the current stereotypes of how young people of this age should behave. Enjoy them, as the mother of another "odd" young person I will tell you that even the "odd" ones grow up and leave...and then come back...lol!

Momof2Stepof3
by on May. 4, 2012 at 1:07 AM

Thanks I am enjoying it but since the person told me my kids are odd and imuter. I tell them nightly that they don't have to cuddle, don't have to be "hanging" with mom and dad and don't have to hug and kiss but they are all to willing to cuddle and do family time then be locked in their rooms doing god knows what.

Quoting GaleJ:

No your children are not "odd" just because they don't live up to all the current stereotypes of how young people of this age should behave. Enjoy them, as the mother of another "odd" young person I will tell you that even the "odd" ones grow up and leave...and then come back...lol!

rebeccasmly
by on May. 4, 2012 at 1:10 AM
Nope. My kids are the same way. They absolutely love documentaries. I use to put them on in the living room if I wanted some quiet and they would play in another room. I quickly discovered that would keep their attention better then most things I would watch on TV.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
bizzeemom2717
by on May. 4, 2012 at 2:17 AM

Well, I know that while I'm still very close to my DS (19) and yes he is affectionate, no he would have never laid with me on the couch to cuddle at that age. 11 yes. My DD (14) is still very affectionate as well. As for staying home and not doing sports each kid is different. My DS only played one sport during HS and was more academic, my DD has always been involved in multiple sports which she finds enjoyable....if your kids are happy that's the most important thing.

FIREFOX1336
by on May. 4, 2012 at 2:25 AM
I cuddled with my dad well into my teens. Even after I started driving if I didn't feel good I would go lay in bed with my parents. When I was 14 my dad and I took a motorcycle trip to a motorcycle only camp ground, I would wake up in the mornings and find my dad in the lodge and sit on his lap finishing waking up, I had a lady run into me in the bathhouse and ask me how long my dad and I had been dating. You should have seen her face when I said I was 14 and he was my dad lol. After that I didn't really even hug him or hang my hand in his elbow while walkin in public. But I always met my dad at his car after work or sat on his lap watching tv right before bed. I'm a daddy's girl and proud of it. And there is nothing wrong with it.
Shellness
by on May. 4, 2012 at 2:33 AM
3 moms liked this

Well whoever told you that is an idiot

rkoloms
by on May. 4, 2012 at 3:48 AM
1 mom liked this

My 16 year old still loves to snuggle. We don't have video games or cable. Her friends don't have real conversations with their parents; she does. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN