Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Moms with Teens Moms with Teens

Are my kids really that odd?

Posted by   + Show Post

So my kids are 11 and 13. Every night we eat dinner together or at least the nights I'm not a school. Though the 3 nights I am gone DH does eat dinner with the kids. At night we have family time and DD11 still likes to cuddle with me or DH. DS13 at time will cuddle.

They do not go over to friends homes on a week night. They aren't in sports. Both are into art and drama. We don't have cable so they don't watch any teen shows. They watch a lot of science shows on NetFlix.

I was told my kids are odd and that we should look into why my kids like to cuddle still and why they are sooo "imature".

by on May. 4, 2012 at 12:41 AM
Replies (11-20):
bascha
by Member on May. 4, 2012 at 3:52 AM
3 moms liked this
My boys are 13 and 15, and they're more than happy to lounge out with us on the sofa. I still get goodnight hugs and kisses every night. We eat together at the table almost every night. They're both extremely intelligent, acing their advanced classes in school. They have interest in both sports and the arts. Odd? Absolutely not. Your kids sound like they've been well raised. :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
fammatthews4
by Trisha on May. 4, 2012 at 6:14 AM
My 16yo daughter still cuddles. My 19yo son does too not as often of course, but he does.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
January1964
by on May. 4, 2012 at 7:23 AM
1 mom liked this

No, whoever told you that is odd. You are an awesome mama!

PinkieRed
by on May. 4, 2012 at 8:50 AM
1 mom liked this
I have a 14 year old daughter and a 9 year old son, and both are very affectionate with their dad and I, and like to cuddle. Although my son more often likes to wrestle with his dad.

Your kids don't sound odd or immature at all. You have a close family, and that's wonderful.

Week nights during the school year should be for homework, etc, anyway, in my opinion, not hanging out with friends.

And so what if your kids like documentaries, instead of trashy teen shows?

My son loves documentaries. He and I watched the entire series of this "The Universe" documentary program on Netflix, about 40 individual, 45 minute long episodes. It was his idea to watch them, and he liked it so much, that we've watched some of the episodes multiple times.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
momofne
by on May. 4, 2012 at 9:12 AM

I don't think so. We have always ate dinner together and when they were younger they snuggled too.

fantasticfour
by Grumpy on May. 4, 2012 at 9:38 AM

My 16 year old likes to cuddle.  Shoot, I like to cuddle.

Manth
by on May. 4, 2012 at 10:09 AM

My kids are 17 and 16.  Both LOVE to cuddle even now!  Neither one is into sports (either playing or watching) and are quite happy to stay home with Mum and Dad most nights.  We eat dinner together most nights of the week.  They are interested in art (especially the younger one) and technology (especially the older one) and are quite happy being themselves.  Neither one of my girls gives me a hard time, no drama or angst or temper tantrums at all.  I'll take my 'odd' kids over their 'typical obnoxious teens' any day of the week!

drfink
by Emily on May. 4, 2012 at 10:22 AM
1 mom liked this

Nope.

We eat dinner together almost always.When we don't it is because we are at their games ,debate tournaments or another of their activities.

My teen boys aren't big into cuddling but I drive a.m. car pool and in front of a car full of friends each morning they say I love you mom .When they see me volunteering at their schools they will wave across the commons on their way to class and flash the  ASL sign for I love you.So I am a very happy mom.

My 21 yo daughter is still a cuddler.She gets in tonight from college ...YAY!!!

drfink
by Emily on May. 4, 2012 at 10:26 AM

Exactly ,different kids have different personalities and express themselves differently

Quoting bizzeemom2717:

Well, I know that while I'm still very close to my DS (19) and yes he is affectionate, no he would have never laid with me on the couch to cuddle at that age. 11 yes. My DD (14) is still very affectionate as well. As for staying home and not doing sports each kid is different. My DS only played one sport during HS and was more academic, my DD has always been involved in multiple sports which she finds enjoyable....if your kids are happy that's the most important thing.

rwblake2011
by on May. 4, 2012 at 10:34 AM
My 14 year old still cuddles and hangs with me ALOT. Not all kids are the same! Your kids are NOT weird!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)