Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Moms with Teens Moms with Teens

Do your teens need to do anything 'educational' over summer?

Posted by   + Show Post

I have always expected my now 14 dd to do something educational over summer - workbooks, Kumon, science camp, something. This summer we are struggling with what to do.

I am curious - do you make your teen do something educational over the summer? Or does your teen just get to relax?

by on May. 7, 2012 at 8:53 AM
Replies (31-37):
mrjonesii
by on May. 8, 2012 at 4:34 PM

I don't make my daughter but usually the teachers will have them to read a novel and/or write a paper.  DD is taking gym on-line so she don't have to take it at school.  That's about it.

MomofSCMJJA
by on May. 9, 2012 at 12:31 AM

My 13 year old is repeating FIVE classes in summer school.  I was appalled at how badly she did this semester, but it wasn't altogether suprisinging.  We had a tremendous amount of upheaval this year, from her spending a week inpatient in a psych ward after becoming suicidal to the decision for the younger kids and I moving down to Arizona 5 weeks ago and leaving my husband and oldest son in Montana for him to finish high school.  Four moves in 8 months was hard for all of us to go through, but especially for Jessie.  When we arrived in Arizona, I enrolled her in an online high school program where she began the process of repeating 5 classes that she failed.  By the time school starts in the fall, she will be caught up and ready to start high school.  Her dad will be here with us and we will be in a place of our own again, not living with grandparents with us all in one room.  I can't wait until things settle down.  Somehow, the other kids have all managed to come through all of this with decent grades.

Jinx-Troublex3
by Bronze Member on May. 9, 2012 at 12:52 AM

I don't FORCE them to do educational things - but they CHOOSE to go to summer camps. All three kids go to a camp run by our church for a week, my oldest is going to New Orleans fo a week to our church's National Youth Gathering, and they will all spend a week out of state with DH's parents.

The boys usually attend Boy scout camp as well, where they earn merit badges which are educational,  but we couldn't make tht happen this year. I'm surethey wil leach do 1-2 on their own over the summer.

bizzeemom2717
by Jen on May. 10, 2012 at 2:17 AM

No, they will both have a much deserved and needed break.

btamilee
by Member on May. 10, 2012 at 9:00 AM

My daughter will be a Junior this year.  She will be taking AP English Lit next year, which requires that she read several books over the summer.  She also may be going to Project Awares Film Institute for a week this summer, and hopefully...will continue with the work she is doing on a new script for a full length film about Alcoholism and Drug abuse and the impact on families.  On top of all that...we are hoping she can find a part time job...to make a little money!  She is already an *employee* of Project Aware, but since its a non profit..she doesn't except any pay, although they did get her a new Apple Mac Pro for her scriptwriting!

lazyd
by Bronze Member on May. 10, 2012 at 10:16 AM

I WISH I could find something, anything for my 13 yr old daughter to do over the summer, BUT there is NOTHING out there for teenagers unless u r into science or math or engineering/building something.  My daughter is into singing, but the only choir around (and there was only one within several surrounding cities) stops at age 12!  There are no clubs or groups or nothing for my daughter just to get out and hang with friends so she's not sooo bored!

Stacy2girlsMom
by on May. 14, 2012 at 5:00 PM

Yes, my daughters do have to do educational work over the summer. Aside from assigned summer reading from the schools, they also have math, vocabulary and language workbooks that they get from their dad and me. In addition to this they will also take some classes at our church and do some volunteering at our Church as well.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)