Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Do your teens need to do anything 'educational' over summer?

Posted by   + Show Post

I have always expected my now 14 dd to do something educational over summer - workbooks, Kumon, science camp, something. This summer we are struggling with what to do.

I am curious - do you make your teen do something educational over the summer? Or does your teen just get to relax?

by on May. 7, 2012 at 8:53 AM
Replies (11-20):
dandylynes
by Bronze Member on May. 7, 2012 at 10:57 AM

My 14 y/o will be working with the SeaBees (Navy Construction Battalion) all summer.  I don't know if that's going to go so far as calling it scholastically educational, but she's certainly going to be learning a lot (and getting buff).

mom2aspclboy
by on May. 7, 2012 at 1:33 PM

DS has always attended an ESY program for the bulk of his summer, but this year he vetoed ESY, which was fine by us. He really wants to work & a friend of ours who owns his own business is open to letting DS work a few hours a week for him, so that's the plan for this summer. 

Cara5
by on May. 7, 2012 at 1:35 PM

My teens homeschool with an online school, they take fewer classes in the summer, but they continue to work on school credits at a more relaxed pace.  That is their choice. The only thing I would require is that they read good books all summer. 

rkoloms
by on May. 7, 2012 at 3:49 PM

My daughter has always had some sort of summer reading, and usually a writing assignment

Iloveclay
by on May. 7, 2012 at 3:51 PM
Nope.. She sleeps, plays video games, babysits, hangs out with friends, goes to camp with her church group..
disneymom2two
by Member on May. 7, 2012 at 4:33 PM

I've never forced my teen to do schoolwork over the summer.  He reads because he likes to.  That doesn't mean I'll let him sit for hours on end in front of the tv or computer but he enjoys bike riding, going places, etc.  If he were struggling in school I would but he isn't.  This year he will have work to do but its given by the school, not me.  He's going to be in honors classes for high school next year and there are summer requirements.

LucyHarper
by on May. 7, 2012 at 4:35 PM

No, they can if they want, but summer is their time to do what they want. She usually ends up doing educational things anyway, like going to local museums and historical sites or sets out to learn something new, things like that.

mumsy2three
by Shauna on May. 7, 2012 at 4:39 PM

My dd is graduating in June and will be working. If she is going to get certified in Yoga she needs to start taking regular yoga classes. She needs to have taken at least a year of classes before she can apply to a certification program.

drfink
by Emily on May. 7, 2012 at 4:50 PM

.They both will have summer assignments to do for credit .They love all the teen stuff video games ,movies ,surfing but fortunately they both love to read ,math puzzle books ,scrabble ,words with friends. They want to do things at the science museum here and classes at the aquarium/ science museum in the town where our beach house is located.

I don't enforce anything just suggest and DRIVE ; )

PinkieRed
by on May. 7, 2012 at 4:56 PM
What my kids do during the summer depends on if I am working or not. My husband and I have each been laid off a few times over the past few years. During the summers that we were both working, our two kids went to summer day camp all summer, from about 7:30-8am-5:30-6pm, Monday-Friday.

My daughter has also gone to Girl Scout sleepover camp during the summer, and the occasional short trip with her Girl Scout troop.

Last summer I was laid off from work, and didn't any extra money, so the kids and I just mostly stayed home, and just went to the park, swimming, and to the library.

I just got a new job (yay) and am going back to work the 1st week of June, so my son, who is 9, will be going back to full time summer day camp.

My daughter is 14, and too old for that day camp program now. But she applied for a summer law program, at a local university, for incoming 9th grade students at urban high schools, here in the Cleveland area. I'm hoping and praying she'll get accepted, because it's 5 weeks long, Monday-Friday, 9am-4pm. That would fill up a big chunk of her summer.

Also, I am planning on signing her up for a one week junior veterinary day camp for teens, at a local history museum, close to where I'll be working.

And she's going on a 4 day Girl Scout trip in June as well.

14 is kind of a hard age for teens, in my opinion, as far as summers go, because they are too young for most jobs, but also too old for a lot of traditional summer camp programs.

I know I don't want my daughter sitting around at home alone all day during the summer. I've been looking into summer volunteer opportunities for teens here in the Cleveland area, but most are for older teens, 15 or 16 and up.

My daughter is starting high school this fall, and I'm sure she'll probably have a summer reading assignment. She loves reading anyway, so it's not something I have to force her to do.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)