Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Moms with Teens Moms with Teens

I am going to stop smoking

Posted by   + Show Post

Anyone want to join me?  I have decided my last day for a smoke will be Wed.  That gives me enough time to clean out the only room in the house I smoke in (this one) and gear up for it.  I may stop on Wed afternoon since I may be spending the night in the hospital with a friend (she's having surgery).  I have told no one of these plans but you ladies and would love to have someone to quit with.

by on May. 7, 2012 at 11:29 PM
Replies (21-29):
2KoolMama
by on May. 9, 2012 at 11:11 AM
3 moms liked this

It's been 2 months since I've had a cigarette.  I feel so much better.  I ran for 1 mile straight the other day.  I know it doesn't seem like much but it's something I couldn't do while I was smoking. I quit using the nicotine gum.   My DH got a script for Chantix and has quit that way.   Good luck!  It's not easy but it's worth it! 

kiminsean
by on May. 9, 2012 at 11:17 AM
2 moms liked this
I quit a year ago. You can do it!!!!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MrsBLB
by on May. 10, 2012 at 3:00 PM
1 mom liked this

Ditto

Quoting luckysevenwow:

I have tried a few times and lately have really been thinking about it cause I am tired of paying money for them. Even if I don't join you I sure as heck will cheer you on!

MrsBLB
by on May. 10, 2012 at 3:00 PM

good luck

Lisa_65
by on May. 10, 2012 at 5:40 PM
1 mom liked this

Good Luck...I know you can do it...I quit smoking 6yrs ago... best thing i ever did :)

FindersKeepers
by on May. 10, 2012 at 6:03 PM

If you are struggling to quit smoking ... focus on EXCERSIZE.   Studies show that people who want to stop smoking are 50% more likely to do so if they exercise for 15 minutes a day.... jumps to 80% if they work out more than 30 min.   (don't quote me on the exact percentages)...

Exercise helps combat nicotine cravings because it has many of the same effects on your brain that nicotine does so it reduces withdrawal symptoms.. ... releases endorphins and reduces appetite.  

Plus it is easier to focus on starting something positive....instead of giving up something.   My DH started running to quit.... started with .5 mile and now is up to 5... has not smoked in 4 years.   

Quoting fantasticfour:

I've read "the easyway to stop smoking" several times.  It has helped me cut down quite a bit but on that note I always pick back up after about a month.  I know my triggers, after meals, playing on the computer, driving, etc.  I am working on them now, and I am going to clean up this room so it doesn't smell like smoke (it's in the basement) and air it our really good.  I hope I can quit this time.  I really want to and I want to feel better too.  Oh yeah and the price is terrible!!!  Congrats on quitting.  As far as the patch, my doctor doesn't want me to take any meds or use any aids for this.  Because of my medical health it doesn't bode well with me.

Quoting JC2223:

I'm about 6 weeks ahead of you, but I'll stay quit with you! It's hard, but so far so good. Do you plan on using anything to help you quit? I used the patch for the first few weeks, but haven't needed them in over 3 weeks. I kept a journal for about a month to monitor my smoking habits and figure out my triggers. This helped a lot because I found I had more of a behavioral addiction to smoking than a nicotine addiction. Don't get me wrong, I'm still addicted to nicotine, but fighting those urges are easier for me than changing the behaviors. Those I'm still working on and some days are worse than others. Congrats on deciding to quit, I help you in any way I can!!

fantasticfour
by Grumpy on May. 10, 2012 at 10:52 PM

Well the first day is over and I failed miserably.  I'm going to try again tomorrow, just alot of stress today with the overnight stay in the hospital last night for a friend.  It was really rough.

drfink
by Emily on May. 10, 2012 at 11:07 PM

Sorry you had such a rough first day.You haven't failed to quit altogether; you just didn't make it today.Pick a start day and try again.Until you decide to never stop smoking ever you haven't failed at quitting.

jenandpetersmom
by on May. 11, 2012 at 10:24 AM

My last one was 2/28 of this year. My dh and I did it together. Now all's we do is eat!  LOL

GOOD LUCK!     YOU CAN DO IT!!!!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN