Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Moms with Teens Moms with Teens

I am new and need advice about a 17y/o that wants to...

Posted by on May. 8, 2012 at 2:18 PM
  • 31 Replies

Poll

Question: Would you let your teen travel out of state with opposite sex? There is going to be adult supervision but we all know what kids are capable of.

Options:

Yes

No

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 45

View Results

Go on vacation for a week with his girlfriend so she can see her older siblings. Would you let your almost 18 y/o go?

My immediate response was, 'are you out of your mind? no flippin way! Just because you two are probably having sex doesnt mean I have to make it easier for you.' Before you ladies go crazy. Yes, I have talked and TALKED and yelled and TALKED and LECTURED on safe sex, abstinance etc. I do not allow them to be alone but I know from my youth, teens will find a way to have sex.

Some background. David is a really good kid. Respectful, OK grades,he works part time, Just an overall joy. His girlfriends parents are both deceased. She moved here (Nevada) from Texas because she was going to run off to get married to her last boyfriend and her Aunt thought it was best to get her away from the boy, now my son is her next victim lol.

When I was 17 I lived in CT and my father was dying in Wisc my then boyfriend and I went to see my dad over xmas break for a week.

My husband said he's almost 18, you are going to have to trust him...

by on May. 8, 2012 at 2:18 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
atlmom2
by Susie on May. 8, 2012 at 2:21 PM

With no parents?  Hell No   With parents, maybe, maybe not. 

ijustlove2smile
by Member on May. 8, 2012 at 2:21 PM
Hey i live in nv.....i would have to say you know your son the best go with your gut.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
kiminsean
by on May. 8, 2012 at 2:25 PM

Quoting ijustlove2smile:

Hey i live in nv.....i would have to say you know your son the best go with your gut.

Im in southern NV you?

kiminsean
by on May. 8, 2012 at 2:26 PM

Her Adult sister (30ish) will be there as will her "step dad" and his new wife. I guess he re married when her mom passed away.

Quoting atlmom2:

FindersKeepers
by on May. 8, 2012 at 2:45 PM

These all seem like 'parents' to me.   I think I would let him go.  

My cousin brings her boyfriend to our family events and the whole family makes sure they sleep in separate rooms.   I would just make sure that your son, his girlfriend and her  'parents' know what your expectations are. 

Quoting kiminsean:

Her Adult sister (30ish) will be there as will her "step dad" and his new wife. I guess he re married when her mom passed away.

Quoting atlmom2:

ijustlove2smile
by Member on May. 8, 2012 at 3:08 PM
Vegas

Quoting kiminsean:

Quoting ijustlove2smile:

Im in southern NV you?

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
2KoolMama
by on May. 8, 2012 at 3:09 PM

I see no problem with it. 

fammatthews4
by Trisha on May. 8, 2012 at 3:12 PM
2 moms liked this

I think that it would depend on how well I knew the adults that would be present.  Can they be trusted to uphold your rules of your son and his GF not sleeping together? 

DianeJ40
by on May. 8, 2012 at 3:14 PM

I think your husband is right, you have to trust your son.  It might be different if they were going on a vacation to Hawaii but going to a family thing where there is plenty of adult supervision should be fine.

noneya79
by on May. 8, 2012 at 3:16 PM

Well that's totally a personal decision only you can make. When I was 17 I was living on my own and pregnant! LOL! So if you think he is mature enough to go, then let him go. I personally am not sure what I'd let my child of that age do (if I ever have to decide), I still have atleast 10 years before I need to worry about it though! lol!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)