Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Do your kids bike in gym?

Posted by on May. 10, 2012 at 12:57 PM
  • 11 Replies

My dd is in aerobic gym.  They bike for 4-5 days in this class.  My oldest had it but was able to use a school bike.  My dd is tiny so she needs her own and they even suggested most bring their own to school.  SO, she hasn't ridden her bike in years.  I got it tuned up, new tubes in the tires and got new brake pads. She should be good to go.  The school will store them for  1 1/2 weeks.  They bike around 70-75 minutes each day so its a good long ride.  Not sure where all they bike to.  There is a neighborhood the school is hooked to so maybe around there.  I have no idea. 

Come join me at The Duggars Debate, The Good, The Bad and the Ugly

by on May. 10, 2012 at 12:57 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MrsBLB
by Missi on May. 10, 2012 at 2:30 PM

That's awesome!  We don't have anything like that here...

MB13
by on May. 10, 2012 at 2:31 PM

My DD used to go for long walks in the school neighborhood, but they never got to bring their bikes.

bizzeemom2717
by Jen on May. 10, 2012 at 2:38 PM
They did in elementry, not sure about the high school in our new area? My DS never did in HS gym.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
atlmom2
by Susie on May. 10, 2012 at 2:41 PM
This gym class they don't do team sports and dd hates that. They do pilates, yoga, water aerobics, step aerobics, ice skating, inline skating, biking etc.
mumsy2three
by Shauna on May. 10, 2012 at 6:23 PM
1 mom liked this

Only on a stationary bike. Our high school has a cardio room with bikes, ellipticals, stair steppers, and treadmills in it.

I wish I had the gym choices our HS offers when I was in school. It's not just team sports anymore.

atlmom2
by Susie on May. 10, 2012 at 6:49 PM

Our HS has 9/10 gym which is mostly team sports.  Adventure gym which is doing ropes course, and strenuous things.  Club Arrowhead which includes a lot of weight lifting and power things.  11-12 gym which is mostly team sports but they play tennis which they don't do in 9/10 gym.  And Aerobic gym.  They have to take 3 different gym classes in 3 different years.  All are a semester. 

Adventure gym in summer gym is only 2 weeks long and it counts as a whole semester.  They go from 8-5 and some days into the evening even.  They rock climb, kayak, horseback ride etc. 

mumsy2three
by Shauna on May. 11, 2012 at 6:25 AM

Quoting atlmom2:

Our HS has 9/10 gym which is mostly team sports.  Adventure gym which is doing ropes course, and strenuous things.  Club Arrowhead which includes a lot of weight lifting and power things.  11-12 gym which is mostly team sports but they play tennis which they don't do in 9/10 gym.  And Aerobic gym.  They have to take 3 different gym classes in 3 different years.  All are a semester. 

Adventure gym in summer gym is only 2 weeks long and it counts as a whole semester.  They go from 8-5 and some days into the evening even.  They rock climb, kayak, horseback ride etc. 

That's awesome Adventure gym sound like fun!

Our high school offers team sports, cardio/fitness for life, net sports, individual sports and SAQ~ which is offered in the morning before school starts. Students are allowed to take whichever class they want and can repeat through out the 4 years. They have gym every day for half the year or every other day for the whole year.

atlmom2
by Susie on May. 11, 2012 at 8:17 AM

Our school first semester offers zero hour gym which would be before school for kids with full schedules.  You can take it once during HS.  It is at 6:15am-7am every day for a semester. 

boys2men2soon
by Kimberly on May. 11, 2012 at 11:18 AM

Nope.   The HS offers a variety of gym classes.   One son chose weight training/conditioning and my other son chose recreational games (mainly to play hard core dodgeball. Lol)

PinkieRed
by on May. 12, 2012 at 4:04 PM

I always hated and dreaded gym when I was in school. I am totally unathletic, and not good at any team sports. I was always the last to get picked for teams in gym in elementary school. Talk about embarrassing! embarrassed mini

I think it's awesome that some schools have non-sports gym classes. Not every kid likes sports or is comfortable playing them. I never heard of a school having biking in gym, but that sounds like a lot of fun.

At the high school my daughter will be going to this fall, they either have to take a gym class (I think just one year of gym), or they can opt out of gym by playing two seasons of any sport (doesn't have to be the same sport).

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)