Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Moms with Teens Moms with Teens

How to tell babysitting clients she is going up on $ (after she takes CPR) 2nd UPDATE in red

Posted by   + Show Post

Hi,

This is for my DD who is 18.  She's been babysitting since 13 (with a friend) and solo for the past 2+ years.  She has 6-7 clients + her cousin's 2 kids occasionally.  She gets $8/hr but sometimes up to $12 (for 2 kids).  Tonight she takes a CPR/first aid class & wants to up the $8 to $10.  We live in Austin, TX, in case that's relevant to price (which I'm sure it is).

How should she approach this?  Give them notice for the next time, not this time (she babysits tomorrow night)?

How have your teens handled this?

Thanks!!

EDITED: I just got hit with a motherlode of work (construction office), so I can't answer individually at the moment.  Re: taxes -- we just started with a new CPA who didn't think DD would have to show her income from babysitting.  I disagree -- I told DD to keep meticulous notes/keep records of all her pay on all her transactions.  It IS occasional babysitting, though; in fact, she hasn't been sitting too much lately.

Great suggestions, everyone -- will reply more later.  :D

Hey ladies -- thanks for all your input!  I'm going to let DD read all these replies & discuss with her.  She has always let her clients kind of pick a price, so we have one woman paying $5/hr for 2 kids & then some of the ppl pay almost too much! 

As for taxes, I think she might have made $300 last year total & I'm going to definitely discuss with CPA next year.  She will have a paid job at a summer camp this summer, so taxes will be on the horizon for sure. 

Yeah, I sometimes think I should do this (the few times she can't make it) to make some extra cash!  lol.  I have 2 friends who used to clean houses; one had a master's degree, etc. 

thanks again!!

by on May. 10, 2012 at 5:41 PM
Replies (41-44):
02nana07
by Ida on May. 12, 2012 at 6:56 PM
1 mom liked this

You only have to make a total of $600 total for the year and at those rates it wouldn't take long to make that much if a person is honest and reports it and age doesn't matter. 

I know people get paid under the table and don't report it but it is all about how you want to teach your children about doing the right   thing.

Quoting ButterflyGenie:

She's a teenager. I doubt she has three years of auditable tax info. Lol. I doubt she makes tons of money.

Quoting 02nana07:

If they keep records they can turn in the name and address and the IRS will verify the information. 

if she refuses to give the needed information to the people and they claim childcare the IRS will audit her for the past 3 years and she could get it big trouble I know someone this happened to.  They were told if you make more that a total of 600 for the year you HAVE to pay self employment taxes. 

Quoting ButterflyGenie:

They would need a tax ID or ssn. . 

Quoting 02nana07:

That would be more than alot of jobs around here pay.  I was  just wondering does she pay taxes on the money because if she doesn't and the people file childcare on their taxes it could cost her in the long run. 

PurpleHazey
by on May. 14, 2012 at 10:14 PM

You just tell them.

PurpleHazey
by on May. 14, 2012 at 10:16 PM

Quoting zannahdeux:

Perhaps she can increase her rate for her new clients only?

That's a good idea.

PurpleHazey
by on May. 14, 2012 at 10:18 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting bizzeemom2717:

I have never even considered that for when my DD's babysit.

Quoting BaseballMom34:

Is your dd paying taxes on her income?

All babysitters have to be certified here in Michigan and they do have to pay taxes.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)