Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Moms with Teens Moms with Teens

defiant teenage son

Posted by on May. 10, 2012 at 11:05 PM
  • 17 Replies

I need some advice and quick.  My son is 15 and completely unruly.  He is never happy with anything, he complains about everything.  Seems that he has not been in a good mood since the 5th grade.  Today he got ISS (in school suspension) because he threw a piece of paper into a wastebasket at school, after the teacher told him not too. He has been in ISS 8 times this year. He is rude to adults, gets mad when you punish him for anything, kicks and screams in his room.  I have taken away his computer, phone and nothing seems to get through to him.  His father and I don't know what to do about his defiant behavior, short of signing him up for military school.

Any one able to advise me?

by on May. 10, 2012 at 11:05 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
momofne
by on May. 10, 2012 at 11:40 PM
1 mom liked this

Have you tried counseling?

drfink
by Emily on May. 10, 2012 at 11:46 PM

Quoting momofne:

Have you tried counseling?

Agree.Sounds like more than teen angst and moodiness.

Shawna510
by on May. 10, 2012 at 11:50 PM
Been there, done that got the tshirt. My 15 year old landed himself in a school for children with behavioral issues. It was rough at first, he is doing better now. He has his days but they are far and few between. Good luck it's not fun.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
KeriAZ
by on May. 11, 2012 at 1:13 AM
Can you talk to your son when his anger level isnt high to see what the prob is? Counseling helps. Both mine are in counseling.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
bizzeemom2717
by on May. 11, 2012 at 2:47 AM
I agree, sit and talk to him when he's not upset and consider counseling.

Quoting KeriAZ:

Can you talk to your son when his anger level isnt high to see what the prob is? Counseling helps. Both mine are in counseling.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
rkoloms
by on May. 11, 2012 at 6:14 AM

One of my parenting mantras is: a child who is most unlovable is most in need of love. Give your son a big hug, and tell him how much you love him. Let him know how his behavior makes you feel, and ask him why he is behaving this way. He may need therapy, or he may need more positive attention from his parents

zannahdeux
by on May. 11, 2012 at 6:35 AM
Some of this is normal but 8 tines is a bit much...ask him what is going on...why he is so upset all the time
annie2244
by Silver Member on May. 11, 2012 at 7:37 AM
1 mom liked this

Parenting your Out of Control Teen is a really good book. It has great ideas for how to manage really challenging behaviors without turning your house into a negative war zone. When my oldest was an 8th grade angry rebel, this book helped the DH and I become a united parenting team, and helped each day not spiral downward.

Counseling also helped our kid. The first counselor didn't work - she was our age and we had sessions all together. Our DD felt ganged up on. That counselor we had billed as helping the 3 of us. She bonded really well with the 2nd counselor, who was young and pretty, and their sessions were private except my DD had the option to invite the parent who drove her to the session in to the last 10 minutes of the session.  That counselor we had billed as helping her talk through stuff. And we got an lucky appointment with her on a day our kid was really feeling in crisis with her unhappiness, which is probably the only reason she agreed to try a counselor again. I'd suggest finding a guy counselor that you think your kid might find relatively cool, and stay out of the session unless your kid invites you in for part of it.

fantasticfour
by Grumpy on May. 11, 2012 at 9:42 AM

I wish I could help.  My son goes through that at times but not the school part.  Good luck

MrsBLB
by on May. 11, 2012 at 10:54 AM

This

Quoting bizzeemom2717:

I agree, sit and talk to him when he's not upset and consider counseling.

Quoting KeriAZ:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN