Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Moms with Teens Moms with Teens

Teacher's job?

Posted by on May. 11, 2012 at 3:05 PM
  • 20 Replies

What exactly is a teachers job when it comes to middle school?  I understand not begging for homework, they should be responsible enough for that already.  What about when a kid is simply not getting it?  Say math, something that you have to get to move on to the next chapter.  Should a teacher notice that a child who is doing ALL the homework, ALL the classwork, but failing ALL the tests and quizzes?  Should this teacher try to find out what the problem is on her own or wait until the parent notices?  Should the teacher care at all?

by on May. 11, 2012 at 3:05 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
FindersKeepers
by on May. 11, 2012 at 3:17 PM
1 mom liked this

My DD is in 6th grade and we will be putting her in a charter school for 7th. 

She is just not doing well this year.   Her school did a 'no homework' trial which I give a big FAIL.   It is DD fault she talks in class and doesn't complete her work.   But there are 38 kids in class sitting at round tables that are conducive to talking.   If kids are talking or off task in class then they don't learn, then there is no homework to reinforce the lesson.... so she isn't learning.  

My gripe is that the school automatically gives weekly progress reports that parents have to sign.. .. Every single week we get a report that says DD is a joy to have in class.....then we get her progress report grades that are all C's and one D.   I am with you that I feel like the teacher should have notified us BEFORE grades came out of any issue... now that we know we have her sitting alone in class and working her tail off to get her grades up before the end of the year.  

Sadly... there are much worse things going on in the middle school.  Horrible rumors, weapons, drugs, physical relationships.... 1 teacher to 38 students... grades just aren't that important and kids are falling through the cracks.

atlmom2
by Susie on May. 11, 2012 at 3:18 PM

It was my kids responsiblity to ask for help from dh or from the teacher if they needed it.  Our MIddle school and high school teachers always will help before or after school if you ask for it.  You have to ask though.  My oldest dd always went for help for math. Middle school teacher teach how many different kids a day, 100+ different kids?  My SIL taught middle school math.  What she found is 99% parents didn't care when she called so she stopped making calls. 

To me a teacher should notice but I personally think at that age the kid needs to ask for help also.  I would noticed and freak way before my kids had F's though. 

cege
by Bronze Member on May. 11, 2012 at 3:20 PM

Both my adult nieces are teachers - one a middle school teacher, the other a high school one.  I know that they do notice and try to help any students that are doing the work but still doing poorly.  Both make themselves available to meet with struggling students right before or after school.  Not every teacher will do this but I think most will find the time if the student or parent asks.  I think teachers should of course care but the problem where we live is that it's not unusual to have up to 40 kids in a single class.  Multiply that by 5 or 6 classes a day and I think it's easy for some students to fall in the cracks.  Is one of your kids have a hard time in a class? 

momto3infl
by Bronze Member on May. 11, 2012 at 3:57 PM

With my dd this was happening-ended up being she one needed extra time and also just got test anxiety in math.  The teacher talked to her some, and she is doing better with the tests.

disneymom2two
by Member on May. 11, 2012 at 5:15 PM

Jason's middle school teachers are available twice a week after school and one is available Friday mornings before school as well.  It is up to him (or to me as the parent) to know that he needs help.  Grades are posted online which I check pretty religiously and keep on him.  Progress reports are sent out mid-term which also lets me know how he's doing.  I look at his homework, I check his online grades. If I notice an issue, I tell him to address it and if its not addressed to my satisfaction, I'll address it with the teacher.  

atlmom2
by Susie on May. 11, 2012 at 5:37 PM
1 mom liked this

Another thing I found with my dd that struggled with math is practice practice. Dh would give her extra problems a lot and work with her. That is the only way to learn math, more and more problems.  She also got tutoring for a few years outside of school.  Some kids just have trouble with math, ME for one.  She ended up making mostly B's in HS math so I was so proud of her in the end. 

fantasticfour
by Grumpy on May. 11, 2012 at 6:34 PM

My daughter did ask for help and was rewarded with tutoring after school once a week.  Her grades still went down.  I tutored her and 2 weeks later it's great, for the most part.  Aparently she didn't get something back in Dec and has been having problems since.  The tutoring didn't help and from what I gather the teacher was doing the homework with her instead of teaching it to her.

Quoting atlmom2:

It was my kids responsiblity to ask for help from dh or from the teacher if they needed it.  Our MIddle school and high school teachers always will help before or after school if you ask for it.  You have to ask though.  My oldest dd always went for help for math. Middle school teacher teach how many different kids a day, 100+ different kids?  My SIL taught middle school math.  What she found is 99% parents didn't care when she called so she stopped making calls. 

To me a teacher should notice but I personally think at that age the kid needs to ask for help also.  I would noticed and freak way before my kids had F's though. 

atlmom2
by Susie on May. 11, 2012 at 6:51 PM
Is this all new or has she struggled all along?  She may need tutoring outside of school.  My dh would give my dd something like 10-20 extra problems every other night and more on weekends.  It was a very long process.  Years and years.  She started struggling in 2nd grade.  Caught up and did well 4th and 5th grade.  6th started going down again.  7th did good first semester and 2nd semester got a C.  She repeated 7th grade math in 8th grade (best thing for her ever).  She was ready for algebra in 9th grade and got mostly B's or C+'s in HS math.  Also did 2 years of private tutoring outside of school in 6th and 7th grade and in 8th grade 6 months of Sylvan math tutoring.  Some teachers kids just can't learn from.  My youngest that is really good in math had a crappy 8th grade teacher.  My dd got B-'s that year.  She repeated Algebra 9th grade and got A's.  She has most gotten A's in HS math.  This year she got a A-  first semester senior year in Functions/Trig/Statistics.  This semester so far she has a 95%.  Some teachers can mess with the best students and they can't learn from them. 
Quoting fantasticfour:

My daughter did ask for help and was rewarded with tutoring after school once a week.  Her grades still went down.  I tutored her and 2 weeks later it's great, for the most part.  Aparently she didn't get something back in Dec and has been having problems since.  The tutoring didn't help and from what I gather the teacher was doing the homework with her instead of teaching it to her.

Quoting atlmom2:

Come join me at The Duggars Debate, The Good, The Bad and the Ugly

luckysevenwow
by Platinum Member on May. 11, 2012 at 7:11 PM

That's a really good point, not all teachers will be a good fit for all students. I saw this with my own children, one teacher would be great for one of them and not the right fix for the next. Move the kids around and they would do really well.

Quoting atlmom2:

Is this all new or has she struggled all along?  She may need tutoring outside of school.  My dh would give my dd something like 10-20 extra problems every other night and more on weekends.  It was a very long process.  Years and years.  She started struggling in 2nd grade.  Caught up and did well 4th and 5th grade.  6th started going down again.  7th did good first semester and 2nd semester got a C.  She repeated 7th grade math in 8th grade (best thing for her ever).  She was ready for algebra in 9th grade and got mostly B's or C+'s in HS math.  Also did 2 years of private tutoring outside of school in 6th and 7th grade and in 8th grade 6 months of Sylvan math tutoring.  Some teachers kids just can't learn from.  My youngest that is really good in math had a crappy 8th grade teacher.  My dd got B-'s that year.  She repeated Algebra 9th grade and got A's.  She has most gotten A's in HS math.  This year she got a A-  first semester senior year in Functions/Trig/Statistics.  This semester so far she has a 95%.  Some teachers can mess with the best students and they can't learn from them. 
Quoting fantasticfour:

Quoting atlmom2:

annie2244
by Silver Member on May. 11, 2012 at 8:42 PM

I think it's too much to ask a teacher to take a kid aside in jr high and try to fix a problem.  Their class sizes are often larger than in grade school, and the onus of responsibility is shifting to the kid - and that's a good thing! Kids need to get adept at managing this, because they are on the launch pad to college now.

It is the teacher's job to communicate progress to the parents- whether that's logging the grades on assignments and reports into the online parent portal, or sending the graded work home.  But I've never met a teacher who doesn't try to help if approached by a parent or a kid. Most teachers have after school or before school hours. And they often have helpful suggestions for how to get more help (like websites or how to approach working at home on it differently).

I think at this age it's mainly the parent's job to know what system is in place to keep abreast of grades on assignments and tests, and then step in to help the kid get help when things are going south.  Most kids aren't mature enough to go seek help when they're sinking. But - after a few years of having their parents tell them, show them, get them various forms of help, by 10th grade or so, lots of kids have figured out how to identify early that they're not getting it, and start studying with friends, or go to the teacher after class/after school, ask their parents to get them a tutor, ask their parents to explain a section of a chapter they're not understanding.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)