Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Moms with Teens Moms with Teens

How to deal?

Posted by on May. 12, 2012 at 12:05 AM
  • 7 Replies

My 13 year old thinks he has a right to walk out of the house and leave (to the park, friends house, who knows) whenever he gets upset, is getting scoldings (yup, right in the middle of it), etc. He has an attitude problem ( I thought only girls get like this as teens), and he's been acting up so bad lately, that this time, I just lost it..and let him hear it. I yelled and screamed and told him how disrespectful he was being and has been, and how he thinks he can just act like this and get away with it, how I'm sick and tired of it...etc. Well, he walked out of the house.....AGAIN. I don't know where he went. I'm so upset, I just want to lock him out and leave...but most of all I just want him home where I know he's safe. How do I deal with this behavior? How do I discipline this? simple frown

by on May. 12, 2012 at 12:05 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
luckysevenwow
by Platinum Member on May. 12, 2012 at 12:26 AM
2 moms liked this
I'd have followed his ass out the door and dragged it back into the house!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
rkoloms
by on May. 12, 2012 at 12:31 AM
1 mom liked this

You can call the police and report him as a run away

You can ask him why is being such a weanie, and running away from you

Miss-B
by on May. 12, 2012 at 12:32 AM

Quoting luckysevenwow:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jMama078
by on May. 12, 2012 at 12:41 AM
1 mom liked this

Quoting Miss-B:

Quoting luckysevenwow:

LOL, I would've done that too...but he is MUCH bigger than I am. 

jMama078
by on May. 12, 2012 at 12:43 AM

I've done this before...twice. They don't do anything. They just have me write out a statement and tell me to let them know when he gets back home. they don't look for him or anything. Then, when he comes home, I let them know..and that's it.

Quoting rkoloms:

boys2men2soon
by Kimberly on May. 12, 2012 at 1:09 AM
3 moms liked this

Tell him very clearly that leaving the house without permission is unacceptable.   I would have followed him, making a scene the entire way!   He would be so embarrassed, he wouldn't dare walk out on me, again.

When he chooses to return, he would return to a cleared out bedroom.   No door, no electronics, nothing but a mattress, a lamp and a few outfits.

His behavior is extremely disrespectful.  It sounds like he does this frequently, and right in the middle of you speaking to him.     While walking away to cool down is a good anger management technique,  boundaries should be set and standards set.    Perhaps he can go to the backyard or his room for 30 minutes.....after you have said your peace.

Monsita
by Bronze Member on May. 15, 2012 at 11:31 AM

Quoting jMama078:

I've done this before...twice. They don't do anything. They just have me write out a statement and tell me to let them know when he gets back home. they don't look for him or anything. Then, when he comes home, I let them know..and that's it.

Quoting rkoloms:

My dear Cafemom friend: You think that the police is not doing much, by making you to write out a statement, and asking of you to let them know WHEN HE IS BACK HOME....
I am so sorry to tell you THAT THEY ARE DOING A LOT FOR YOU!  They are protecting you. In case something happens to your child while gone...and you did not report it...you will be at fault. The Child Protect Services will be in your case, because it is our job to know where our children are ALL OF THE TIME....and if they leave the house without our permition and blessing, IN WITHIN THE FIRST 3 HOURS and we do not do nothing about it, WE ARE IN NEGLETING OUR CHILDREN...

Please investigate more into it.....every state has their own law....

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)