Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Moms with Teens Moms with Teens

What do you think my kids will say?

Posted by on May. 13, 2012 at 10:08 PM
  • 30 Replies
3 moms liked this

I'm a very conservative, strict mama.  I expect good grades, good behavior and happy children.  I have been having a very very rough week and decided that today I am going to dye my hair blue.  VIBRANT blue.  I'll post a picture when it's finished, I am bleaching it now.  What do you think the kids will say lol?  Am I having an identity crisis or something?

by on May. 13, 2012 at 10:08 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
02nana07
by Ida on May. 13, 2012 at 10:19 PM

Mine would say its a midlife crisis LOL can't wait to see pics

fantasticfour
by Grumpy on May. 13, 2012 at 11:25 PM

LOL the blue is in my hair, my face, my hands, my arms, man this stuff stains QUICK

Quoting 02nana07:

Mine would say its a midlife crisis LOL can't wait to see pics

boys2men2soon
by Kimberly on May. 13, 2012 at 11:32 PM

The kids will run and hide!   They will think you finally went off the deep end.....into a sea of BLUE!

Can't wait to see the pics!

KeriAZ
by on May. 13, 2012 at 11:33 PM
1 mom liked this
SMURF! Thats what theyd say!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
luckysevenwow
by Platinum Member on May. 13, 2012 at 11:40 PM

LOL mine would say smurfs also.

fantasticfour
by Grumpy on May. 14, 2012 at 12:21 AM

Hey did you guys know that tooth paste takes blue pigment out of your skin?

fantasticfour
by Grumpy on May. 14, 2012 at 1:06 AM

OK problem.  Some of it turned blue and some of it went back to my natural hair color.  :(  I bleached it before hand so I have no idea how this happened.  I mean seriously my hair was BLONDE everywhere when I bleached it!!!  How did some of it get brown??

bizzeemom2717
by Jen on May. 14, 2012 at 1:31 AM
:) what did the kids say?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jadelily
by on May. 14, 2012 at 2:06 AM

Looks fabulous!

I dye my daughters hair with Manic Panic dyes all the time (her bangs and the ends of her hair.) Blue is by far the worst and hardest color to get to take on hair. If you only dyed your hair to a blonde shade, that's how you got the brown areas. Blue doesn't color well over yellowy tints, so you often get greenish/brownish areas. For true blue you need to strip your hair to white. Also, try not to wash your hair very often, blue quickly fades to a yucky green.

I've found after trial and error that the best way to get blue hair is to strip to white (Manic Panic sells a flash lightening kit that works way better than anything else,) then use Manic Panic in a shade called ultraviolet. It's a bright purpley blue, but it fades to a beautiful turquoise, not a green.

To get the dye off skin or surfaces try acetone (or fingernail polish remover), magic erasers, or goop? the mechanics type soap. If it doesn't come off your fingernails right away (it tends to stain them terribly) don't worry, washing the dishes for a week or so will fade it right out.

If you try a bright shade again, wear gloves and rub the skin around your face, neck, and ears with lots of lotion or petroleum jelly then the color won't stick at all.

I love your hair! I would love to do some bright streaks, but my teen says I am too old and can't have hair anything like hers, lol.

jadelily
by on May. 14, 2012 at 2:41 AM
1 mom liked this

Oh, few more tips for anyone using bright colored dyes. Put your hair into a plastic shower cap after adding the dye to keep it off your shoulders or from strands accidentally brushing against your face. Also, Manic Panic  (and I assume other brands) are purely vegetable stains. They are not actual hair dye, they don't have any chemicals like peroxides and are safe to leave on for hours and hours, even overnight. The longer they are left on, the brighter and longer lasting the color will be. I usually try to leave them on my daughters hair for 2-4 hours, depending on color. Blues/purples/greens longer, pinks/oranges/reds less time.

If you bleach your hair and just can't seem to get the yellow tint out, Manic Panic make a color called Virgin Snow. It's the same formula as the bright dyes, but it will make your hair pure white. Then you can easily color over with light tints like lavender or get purer bright shades.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)