Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Moms with Teens Moms with Teens

Female Condoms?

Posted by on May. 14, 2012 at 7:58 AM
  • 43 Replies
Would you buy them for your child? Will you/have you taught a daughter (or gay son) how to use them?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on May. 14, 2012 at 7:58 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
zannahdeux
by on May. 14, 2012 at 8:28 AM
No I don't trust the female condoms with kids who are probably not comfortable touching their body or who may get frustrated putting it in/on and just say forget it. I just feel theybcouldnmake too many mistakes with it.
rkoloms
by on May. 14, 2012 at 9:49 AM

Quoting zannahdeux:

No I don't trust the female condoms with kids who are probably not comfortable touching their body or who may get frustrated putting it in/on and just say forget it. I just feel theybcouldnmake too many mistakes with it.

I am trying to figure out how to demonstrate it. With a male condom, bananas work well. Would you use a watermelon with a female condom?

atlmom2
by Susie on May. 14, 2012 at 12:11 PM

To me, when there are male condoms why have female ones?  Male ones are 70%+ effective.  I am all about 2 forms of BC anyway. 

rkoloms
by on May. 14, 2012 at 1:16 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting atlmom2:

To me, when there are male condoms why have female ones?  Male ones are 70%+ effective.  I am all about 2 forms of BC anyway. 

Most women like to have control over birth control. Female condoms are another option, they may be better for many.

drfink
by Emily on May. 14, 2012 at 2:12 PM
1 mom liked this

I haven't any problems with any type of condoms.I am as concerned about illness even more than pregnancy.I think that the female condom is for the most part not all but most an option more suited towards an bit older woman than teens.Say 20's and up.Simply because it is more difficult to get used to using .The county hospital and med school that provides the cheat sheets for the teen clinic has decided to pass on them at this point.They found or decided that putting a male condom on is easier even for girls with little practice than the female condom.That is why I think older is better ,At teen age the male condom is more likely to be used.At the clinic we also push other forms of BC also because getting the teens to use condoms is tough.

mommaleach
by on May. 14, 2012 at 4:08 PM

I'm still a little confused how they work myself LOL but I'd definitely consider it... I'd rather my teens come to me for that kind of advice than anyone else - I was a teenage mom and now I have teenagers. I'm not ready to be a grandma yet! I wouldn't want my teens to put themselves at risk for STDs either.

rkoloms
by on May. 14, 2012 at 4:18 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting mommaleach:

I'm still a little confused how they work myself LOL but I'd definitely consider it... I'd rather my teens come to me for that kind of advice than anyone else - I was a teenage mom and now I have teenagers. I'm not ready to be a grandma yet! I wouldn't want my teens to put themselves at risk for STDs either.

https://www.plannedparenthood.org/health-topics/birth-control/female-condom-4223.htm

joyfulmom30
by Member on May. 14, 2012 at 4:24 PM

NO

zannahdeux
by on May. 14, 2012 at 4:36 PM
Quoting rkoloms:

I was shown with an anatomical model...maybe if you blow up a side view picture of a vagina you can show them where the first ring needs to sit and how the second ring can cover the outside of the lips? Again I don't recommend them for teens I don't think this is safe...potential for too many mistakes....
rkoloms
by on May. 14, 2012 at 4:42 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting joyfulmom30:

NO

Why not?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)