Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Moms with Teens Moms with Teens

Costa Rico trip donations?

Posted by on May. 18, 2012 at 9:21 AM
  • 17 Replies

I'm posting this here even though it is more 20 year old related: My niece who is 23 has the opportunity to go to Costa Rico with her church to stay at a camp and help give out medical aid. The cost is $1800. She has always wanted to do this and this is the first time she has been asked. Unfortunatly she doesn't have that much money and sent an email out asking for donations. I would like to give something towards the trip but I am not sure how much. She's a good kid and I would rewally like to help her in someway.

Anyone donated money towards a trip? If so how much? Any teens ever go on a trip like this?

by on May. 18, 2012 at 9:21 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
askmommy
by Member on May. 18, 2012 at 9:32 AM
1 mom liked this
What a wonderful opportunity and how generous of her to do that. I think you should give as much as you can and feel comfortable with. Each person and family is different. There is no right or wrong and whatever you decide will be appreciated.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
atlmom2
by Susie on May. 18, 2012 at 9:34 AM

My friend's dd did though the church.  They had some fundraisers but most of the money were paid by the parents. She probably raised a 1/3 of the money needed.  Our neighbor also went on that same mission trip. 

8th grade trips the kids fundraise all year, or have the opportunity.  If the parents want to pay they can.  Fundraisers are optional. 

fantasticfour
by Grumpy on May. 18, 2012 at 9:42 AM

I've never had the oppurtunity but if you feel strongly about it, donate as much as your comfortable with.

luckysevenwow
by Platinum Member on May. 18, 2012 at 9:44 AM

Whatever you can and feel comfortable with. Every penny helps when it comes to those kind of trips. 

fammatthews4
by Trisha on May. 18, 2012 at 10:05 AM

What a great opportunity for her, and how generous of you to want to help.  I say donate whatever you are comfortable with and can afford.

Carmel63
by Bronze Member on May. 18, 2012 at 10:51 AM
I guess give what you feel comfortable giving.

My daughter has traveled with organizations, and we were expected to bear the expense. We did not fundraiser. Our church does do mission trips every year, and the church does some fundraising, but those going on the trip pay for most of it.
January1964
by on May. 18, 2012 at 11:02 AM

What a wonderful opportunity, to see Costa Rica and help others.  Give whatever you feel comfortable with.

MrsBLB
by Missi on May. 18, 2012 at 11:03 AM

I agree with what you can afford and feel comfortable with.  It's great that you want to help her do this      : )

mumsy2three
by Shauna on May. 18, 2012 at 3:54 PM

What a great opportunity. I agree with donate what you can afford and are comfortable with, every bit helps.

bizzeemom2717
by Jen on May. 18, 2012 at 4:10 PM
It sounds like a wonderful opportunity. We just recently donated to my close friend's son's mission trip. I agree with pp's no matter how much you are able to give, it is always much appreciated
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)