Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Moms with Teens Moms with Teens

Do some people have parties just to make others feel bad?

Posted by   + Show Post

Today after school, a "friend" of my daughter's is having her birthday party. For some unknown reason, my daughter was not invited, and only 3 girls from school were invited. But, just to make sure everyone knows about the event, a giant pink limo picked up the "lucky" girls at school!!! It was quite a spectacle. I can only assume that the parents wanted everyone to know about this party. My daughter, of course, was hurt. I am livid. What kind of adults engage in that type of ostentatious and cruel behavior? Am I naive?

So, I'm thinking about hiring an even bigger and more outrageous limo for my daughters party next year . . . just kidding. But really - what is wrong with people? Or am I over-reacting?

by on May. 18, 2012 at 4:19 PM
Replies (41-50):
PinkieRed
by on May. 19, 2012 at 2:45 PM

Wow, I've honestly never heard of families doing that here in the Cleveland area, not even families in wealthy suburbs. And in elementary school at that? What part of the country do you live in? Just curious, because maybe it's a regional thing?

Quoting boys2men2soon:

My kids have each been picked up from school in a limo!    It was a popular thing to do, when they were in elementary school, no less.    The last day of 5th grade (Middle School is 6th - 8th), my son and 5 of his friends were greeted with a limo, complete with the chauffeur standing next to it holding a large poster sign with each of the boys names in large letters.    Pictures were taken, lots of other kids gathered to look inside the limo....it did attract attention.     It was not the only limo in front of the school, btw.  Again, it was a popular thing to do.

The limo was arranged by a group of parents, myself included.  We shared the expense, and my DH and another Dad rode with the boys.    The boys involved were all good friends, all played on the same sport teams that the Two Dad's coached.   No, not every team member was invited.....these 6 had been friends and team mates from kindergarten.  

The event was not arranged to show off.  It was arranged as a surprise and a celebration of moving up in the world to the big bad world of Middle School.     The looks on the boys faces as they walked out of the school and saw the limo, and their parents waiting next to it was priceless!    They happily shared the excitement with the other students who gathered.

We did the same thing for our other son.  It was harder to choose who to invite,  and some feelings were hurt.   We chose boys who all got along well. 

boys2men2soon
by Kimberly on May. 19, 2012 at 3:43 PM

Quoting PinkieRed:

Wow, I've honestly never heard of families doing that here in the Cleveland area, not even families in wealthy suburbs. And in elementary school at that? What part of the country do you live in? Just curious, because maybe it's a regional thing?

Quoting boys2men2soon:

My kids have each been picked up from school in a limo!    It was a popular thing to do, when they were in elementary school, no less.    The last day of 5th grade (Middle School is 6th - 8th), my son and 5 of his friends were greeted with a limo, complete with the chauffeur standing next to it holding a large poster sign with each of the boys names in large letters.    Pictures were taken, lots of other kids gathered to look inside the limo....it did attract attention.     It was not the only limo in front of the school, btw.  Again, it was a popular thing to do.

The limo was arranged by a group of parents, myself included.  We shared the expense, and my DH and another Dad rode with the boys.    The boys involved were all good friends, all played on the same sport teams that the Two Dad's coached.   No, not every team member was invited.....these 6 had been friends and team mates from kindergarten.  

The event was not arranged to show off.  It was arranged as a surprise and a celebration of moving up in the world to the big bad world of Middle School.     The looks on the boys faces as they walked out of the school and saw the limo, and their parents waiting next to it was priceless!    They happily shared the excitement with the other students who gathered.

We did the same thing for our other son.  It was harder to choose who to invite,  and some feelings were hurt.   We chose boys who all got along well. 

Oregon.   We are just run of the mill Middle Class folk.    I haven't seen it done as much in the last few years. ( We live across the street from the elementary school) but it was very popular 10-15 yrs ago.  On the last day of school, every limo in town was booked....it was not an original idea on our part. LoL.  My oldest son did it again the last day of 8th grade.   Limo's were popular for birthday parties, team sports events, etc.   The kids were really into them.  

PinkieRed
by on May. 19, 2012 at 3:56 PM

Interesting.!I've honestly never heard of that here in Ohio. I guess it's one of those "jump on the bandwagon" kind of things, where one family does something, and everyone else wants their kid to get/have the same exact thing, LOL!

Quoting boys2men2soon:

Quoting PinkieRed:

Quoting boys2men2soon:

Oregon.   We are just run of the mill Middle Class folk.    I haven't seen it done as much in the last few years. ( We live across the street from the elementary school) but it was very popular 10-15 yrs ago.  On the last day of school, every limo in town was booked....it was not an original idea on our part. LoL.  My oldest son did it again the last day of 8th grade.   Limo's were popular for birthday parties, team sports events, etc.   The kids were really into them.  

dawnbradley
by on May. 19, 2012 at 4:41 PM
This is life..................life = NOT fair.......................tell her that. Do something special with her. Just be there.
Did u get invited to EVERY party..........................no.....
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
atlmom2
by Susie on May. 19, 2012 at 4:45 PM
1 mom liked this
We used to live in the Cleveland area. Never heard of it there.

Quoting PinkieRed:

Interesting.!I've honestly never heard of that here in Ohio. I guess it's one of those "jump on the bandwagon" kind of things, where one family does something, and everyone else wants their kid to get/have the same exact thing, LOL!

Quoting boys2men2soon:

Quoting PinkieRed:

Quoting boys2men2soon:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
atlmom2
by Susie on May. 19, 2012 at 4:48 PM
My best friends parties, yes I did.

Quoting dawnbradley:

This is life..................life = NOT fair.......................tell her that. Do something special with her. Just be there.

Did u get invited to EVERY party..........................no.....

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
friendlymom5
by Member on May. 19, 2012 at 4:51 PM
exactly

Quoting kiddycat73:

You are over reacting. Your daughter needs to realize that life isn't always fair and she won't be invited to every party every time. It sucks to see her so sad, I know. Maybe the other girl's parents only allowed her to invite a few close friends. I have had to make my daughter choose between friends at times because I don't want 15 12 year olds at my house!

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
vixen42
by on May. 19, 2012 at 5:55 PM
1 mom liked this

tell your child that maybe it was nothing personal and some people like to show off ,as for you maybe after hiring the limo they had to tone down in other areas like invitations

hockeymomtoo
by Member on May. 19, 2012 at 6:44 PM
4 moms liked this

Once again I feel I'm in the minority here on this site, but I think having a limo, pink or not, was showy to say the least. I can see not inviting everyone to a birthday party but then have some class about it. Feelings are going to be hurt if it is done in an obvious way - like a pink limo picking them up at school. It sounds to me like the parents could be part of the problem. Let their kid know the world revolves aound them. Give the kid a good birthday party but the limo part makes me think they wanted to show others what they were doing.

My son went to a very cliquey elementary school.  You were either in the "in" crowd or you were left out. Mine was left out more often than not.  He's been gone from that school for almost a year now and I still have hard feelings. Maybe that's where some of my feelings on this subject come from. I'll say one thing though, it has shown him how not to treat people.

fullxbusymom
by Bronze Member on May. 19, 2012 at 8:41 PM
1 mom liked this

Why in heavens name do you think they are engaging in ostentatious and cruel behavior because they wanted to make their daughter feel special on her birthday?  What an awesome thing for a young girl to get to experience.  Sorry they were under no obligation to invite your daughter either.

Heck I just had a birthday for my 6yr old and I didn't invite the whole class and only maybe a handful of kids weren't invited and I am sure all the other kids went to school and bragged about it.  Oh well I was not inviting everyone and I won't feel badly for that. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN