Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Moms with Teens Moms with Teens

Do some people have parties just to make others feel bad?

Posted by on May. 18, 2012 at 4:19 PM
  • 63 Replies

Today after school, a "friend" of my daughter's is having her birthday party. For some unknown reason, my daughter was not invited, and only 3 girls from school were invited. But, just to make sure everyone knows about the event, a giant pink limo picked up the "lucky" girls at school!!! It was quite a spectacle. I can only assume that the parents wanted everyone to know about this party. My daughter, of course, was hurt. I am livid. What kind of adults engage in that type of ostentatious and cruel behavior? Am I naive?

So, I'm thinking about hiring an even bigger and more outrageous limo for my daughters party next year . . . just kidding. But really - what is wrong with people? Or am I over-reacting?

by on May. 18, 2012 at 4:19 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
kiddycat73
by on May. 18, 2012 at 4:25 PM
1 mom liked this
You are over reacting. Your daughter needs to realize that life isn't always fair and she won't be invited to every party every time. It sucks to see her so sad, I know. Maybe the other girl's parents only allowed her to invite a few close friends. I have had to make my daughter choose between friends at times because I don't want 15 12 year olds at my house!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
02nana07
by Ida on May. 18, 2012 at 4:30 PM
1 mom liked this

Maybe she just wanted to do something really special with her closest friends.  The more people you invite the more it cost so maybe to have the party she wanted she had to limit the # of friends she invited. 

bizzeemom2717
by on May. 18, 2012 at 4:31 PM
While I do think a pink limo is over the top, I wouldn't be livid? It's the family's choice how to celebrate their DD's bday? You don't knuw your DD was excluded on purpose? This is a good life lesson.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Jessiejack
by Silver Member on May. 18, 2012 at 5:16 PM
I think they went way over board with the limo. But I agree with the other moms you are over reacting. This is a great teaching moment for your DD, that life is full of major disappointments. She needs to be sad then move on. My DD has parties all the time. She can not invite everyone.
lucky2Beeme
by Gold Member on May. 18, 2012 at 5:28 PM

Seriously ?? You are Livid? WHY ? It is their money and choice how to celebrate their child's birthday ! I wonder if your feeling would be different if your DD was invited ? You Are Way Over reacting !

jujuhu299
by on May. 18, 2012 at 5:36 PM
3 moms liked this

I completely agree that it is not possible to invite every girl at school to a party, but is it necessary to make sure everyone else knows about the party and exactly who is invited? A few months ago there was a different party where almost every girl in one class came to school in a party dress and there were only a couple of girls in this class that were excluded. Fortunately, my daughter was not in this class. But, the girls who were left out felt very bad. My impression is that these parents purposely try to create exclusive events to prove their own and their child's social standing. This is a very small school so it is very obvious when certain children are left out.

Jessiejack
by Silver Member on May. 18, 2012 at 5:43 PM
1 mom liked this
Quoting jujuhu299:

I completely agree that it is not possible to invite every girl at school to a party, but is it necessary to make sure everyone else knows about the party and exactly who is invited? A few months ago there was a different party where almost every girl in one class came to school in a party dress and there were only a couple of girls in this class that were excluded. Fortunately, my daughter was not in this class. But, the girls who were left out felt very bad. My impression is that these parents purposely try to create exclusive events to prove their own and their child's social standing. This is a very small school so it is very obvious when certain children are left out.

I do agree that there are many moms out there that like to show off. I would look at it that you would not want your child to act like that so it is just better she did not go. Teach her to be better than them. Have a normal small party and invite those kids. You would be surprised at how much they end up liking the small back yard parties.
atlmom2
by Susie on May. 18, 2012 at 6:17 PM
2 moms liked this

OMG, this is just some of the over the top crap we have been talking about on other posts.  Why a parent would allow such a party and picked up at school, I will never know. 

If your dd was a good friend, I would be livid.  I mean I would never have excluded any of my good friends from a party ever.  It sure shows your dd's pecking order with her so called friends.  I agree, teach her to be way better than them. 

Even IF my dd was invited to a party like that she would know it was WAY over the top.  We can afford to do parties like that but we never ever would. 

bizzeemom2717
by on May. 18, 2012 at 7:20 PM
2 moms liked this
Again, teachable moment..talk to your DD about why you don't agree with the other girls/parents actions. You will NEVER be able to control other's actions, so not worth getting upset over things you can't control.

Quoting jujuhu299:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
atlmom2
by Susie on May. 18, 2012 at 7:33 PM
4 moms liked this

Yep, you can't control insensitive, mean, rude people in the world.  You can control if you are friends with people like this though.  Dump them. 

Quoting bizzeemom2717:

Again, teachable moment..talk to your DD about why you don't agree with the other girls/parents actions. You will NEVER be able to control other's actions, so not worth getting upset over things you can't control.

Quoting jujuhu299:

Come join me at The Duggars Debate, The Good, The Bad and the Ugly

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN