Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Moms with Teens Moms with Teens

What do you think?

Posted by on May. 19, 2012 at 12:37 PM
  • 30 Replies

Does everyone spend loads of money on sports camps, church camps to keep your teen busy during the Summer??  We have 3 during the Summer, but seems as our 13 yo dd gets older it's harder to find things for her to do during the Summer.  I don't want to entertain her all Summer... What do your teens do to keep busy, or is there something good to become of NOT being TOO BUSY??!!

by on May. 19, 2012 at 12:37 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
atlmom2
by Susie on May. 19, 2012 at 12:44 PM

I never did.  They went to some day camps, cooking camps but no more than 1 each a summer.  My oldest went to an overnight camp once.  That was it.  I went to overnight camp 1-2 weeks a summer.  Kids need to learn how to stay busy.  I said it before, they are overstimulated and seem to have to be going something every minute and never have down time.  Sometimes I wish they were growing up in the 60's and 70's like me.  No cell phones, black and white tv with 4 channels, no video games or computers. 

Carmel63
by Bronze Member on May. 19, 2012 at 1:24 PM
I have. I have my son in a day camp most of the summer, and he goes away for two weeks. I work , and if I did not have him in some sort of structured environment he would spend the summer in front of the computer.

In the past my daughter's summer was split between music, musical theater, and club softball. This year she will have her AP homework, drivers Ed, Italy, a week on Cape Cod with a friend, and two weeks of a music workshop. In between we need to fit in some campus visits, and college interviews that are out of state.
luckysevenwow
by Platinum Member on May. 19, 2012 at 1:27 PM
2 moms liked this

No, my kids need to learn to entertain themselves. We do do some activities during the summer but what's wrong with riding bikes, playing at the park, hanging with friends?

KeriAZ
by on May. 19, 2012 at 1:44 PM

I dont have the money to. My 18yr old son is in Jobcorps and my 16 yr old daughter is gonna be home. She's home anyways. Dropped out of school to get her GED.

rkoloms
by on May. 19, 2012 at 1:47 PM
1 mom liked this
Day camp, overnight camp, volunteer work, enrichment classes, babysitting. A busy teen is less likely to get into trouble and less likely to get fat
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
rkoloms
by on May. 19, 2012 at 1:49 PM
Why isn't you sixteen year old working/volunteering/takingclasses?

Quoting KeriAZ:

I dont have the money to. My 18yr old son is in Jobcorps and my 16 yr old daughter is gonna be home. She's home anyways. Dropped out of school to get her GED.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
rkoloms
by on May. 19, 2012 at 1:50 PM
We have one TV, no cable, no video games

Quoting atlmom2:

I never did.  They went to some day camps, cooking camps but no more than 1 each a summer.  My oldest went to an overnight camp once.  That was it.  I went to overnight camp 1-2 weeks a summer.  Kids need to learn how to stay busy.  I said it before, they are overstimulated and seem to have to be going something every minute and never have down time.  Sometimes I wish they were growing up in the 60's and 70's like me.  No cell phones, black and white tv with 4 channels, no video games or computers. 

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
lucky2Beeme
by Gold Member on May. 19, 2012 at 1:54 PM

Mine worked and went to sports camp for part of the summer,. One summer it cost me $6,000 for football camps.

newtothismi
by on May. 19, 2012 at 2:01 PM
1 mom liked this

Yes.  One son16 is going to scout camps (three this summer), drivers training and has a small summer job.  One son12 has four sports camps over the summer.  Kinda costly, but the alternative is sitting at home playing the computer, playstation or just veging with the TV.  NO THANKS!  A busy kid is a good kid ;)  Nothing good comes from idle hands... ;)

atlmom2
by Susie on May. 19, 2012 at 2:02 PM
1 mom liked this

When mine were in HS they took a lot of private tennis lessons.  They used to take 3 lessons a week, sometimes 4.  Tennis also starts 3 weeks before school starts so they had to have try outs in early August then practices and matches started.  It was 6 days a week. 

Come join me at The Duggars Debate, The Good, The Bad and the Ugly

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN