Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

What are your family summer traditions?

Posted by on May. 20, 2012 at 10:48 AM
  • 11 Replies

Ours currently are: me and the girls go to a drive-in, we all go to an outdoor baseball game via the light rail party atmosphere, long lake weekends with blueberry pancake breakfasts/late night smores and movies/tubing/kayaking/corn on the cob/parfaits of nonfat froyo w strawberries and blueberries, a family camping trip, at least one family bike ride to the nearby park that has a good fish restaurant w outside seating, neighborhood artfair/carnival weekend, 4th of july boat parade and then carnival and fireworks at the nearby rural little town, end of summer state fair long day, and now we're adding - outdoor pingpong in the driveway.

I'm looking to add some more. What are yours? What are ones of other families you've heard of that are kindof cool?

by on May. 20, 2012 at 10:48 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
fantasticfour
by Grumpy on May. 20, 2012 at 11:02 AM

We have bbqs and pool parties. We have fires in the firepit to roast marshmellows and we go camping.

rkoloms
by on May. 20, 2012 at 12:18 PM
1 mom liked this

Picnic/grilling at the beach

Spending a day at Lincoln Park Zoo

Going to art fairts, street festivals, music festivals, ethnic festivals, etc.

In the summer, Chicago is the greatest city in the world!

kranger
by on May. 21, 2012 at 10:45 AM

Since we are blending our family, we are coming up with new traditions. Before bringing these families together, the girls preferred to take off and spend lots of time with their friends. They do bible camps every year and have since they were little.  Last year we added many family weekends at the beach, we have contests who can collect the most garbage off the beach, or find the most interesting item that was left there. We have bbq's, neighborhood parties, and bonfires, making smores. This year I think we are all getting new bicycles and will add in more camping. Hopefully next year we will have saved enough money to get everyone on a vacation.

02nana07
by Ida on May. 21, 2012 at 11:15 AM

biking, basketball, cooking out, and festivals in the area

PurpleHazey
by Angie on May. 21, 2012 at 12:05 PM

We spend a lot of time at the beach and park!

PurpleHazey
by Angie on May. 21, 2012 at 12:06 PM

Quoting 02nana07:

biking, basketball, cooking out, and festivals in the area

We have a lot of neighborhood cookouts.

PurpleHazey
by Angie on May. 21, 2012 at 12:07 PM

Quoting kranger:

Since we are blending our family, we are coming up with new traditions. Before bringing these families together, the girls preferred to take off and spend lots of time with their friends. They do bible camps every year and have since they were little.  Last year we added many family weekends at the beach, we have contests who can collect the most garbage off the beach, or find the most interesting item that was left there. We have bbq's, neighborhood parties, and bonfires, making smores. This year I think we are all getting new bicycles and will add in more camping. Hopefully next year we will have saved enough money to get everyone on a vacation.

My kids go to church camp as well!

mumsy2three
by Shauna on May. 21, 2012 at 3:55 PM

We spend lots of time at the lake, park and pool.

Our biggest tradition is going camping with my family. There's a big group of us and we always have so much fun.

My hubby and I also throw a birthday and anniversary cookout almost every June.

drfink
by Emily on May. 21, 2012 at 6:33 PM

My children spend June at a boys or girls camp 4 hours away in the hills.These are the same camps I ,my husband and many of my relatives attended.When we pick them up we stay a couple of days in the town.We go dam sliding most of Sat .,go to a family style honkey tonk and do some boot scootin on Sat night.Sun we slide again in the morning and head home.This will be our 19 th year to do this.We spend a huge amount of time at our beach house.Often a mom and kids will come or take us down on Tues or Wed and hang out.Fri afternoon my husband shows up.Sometimes the other husband will come down also for the weekend.I have several single friends when they are there my husband is happy...uninterrupted sci fi reading time LOL.At the beach we and neighbors build huge intricate sand sculptures and castles.My husband and our teens draw plans.even.At the beach we seldom eat till after sundown my favorite part of the day and I will not miss it ...my firm rule.We attend an outdoor theater there and one here.At night we play lots of board games,Mexican train and my teens and their  friends play a lot of poker with a M&M pot.We learned with my oldest that Raisinettes do not fare well in a   summer poker game.We go see our baseball team when we are in town.This year we are excited a neighboring smaller town now has a minor league team.We are going the end of this week.

PinkieRed
by on May. 21, 2012 at 6:41 PM

Wow, now I feel like a totally boring mom! We don't really have any summer family traditions.

Every summer either my husband or has been laid off, so we don't have any extra money to do much. Or we're both working full time, so we have to pay for full time summer day camp for our kids, and then we still don't have any extra money and don't have much time to do anything as a family, either. 

If we can do anything all together, it's almost always just something free like going to the lake/beach (Lake Erie - we're not lucky enough to live near the ocean, LOL!), or to the park or library. Gas prices have been so high here, that when one of us isn't working, we also try not to drive too much, to save on gas expenses.

My husband's also been working 6-7 days a week for the past year, which makes it hard to plan things. The factory he works at as a maintenance tech/welder is totally swamped with work right now, and in the midst of a big remodeling project, so he can't even take any time off through the end of July. He found out last week that he has to work on the 4th of July. Sigh...

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)