Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Moms with Teens Moms with Teens

I want to tell her to quit!

Posted by on May. 20, 2012 at 1:15 PM
  • 33 Replies

My oldest dd, has her first job. It's for Verizon's call center, well a contracted call center, not actually part of Verizon yet....

My bestfriend also works there, and my BF's son works there. They are one of the few places that is always hiring because they have a really high turn over. Now I know why. My friend is forever telling me about people calling in and yelling at them, but I thought some of it was just her cause she tends to be on the sensitive side. My DD on the other hand has balls of steel, very little get's to her. Not saying she isn't sensitive it's just she's more like me and tends to just let stuff roll off her back.

She HATES her job, but she likes having money so she sticks it out. The stories she tells about people just amaze me. I understand being angry and upset, but I do not understand peoples blatant rudeness. I just listened to her cry as she told me about a 2 hour call she had last night. This man insulted her in every way possible. Honestly it was verbal battery, so why didn't she just hang up? They can't, it's grounds for firing, the only people with the power to end a call is the supervisor and hers was no where to be found and none of the other ones wanted to help her. 

I can literally see where she was crushed by this call. I hate that a job is doing this to her. I'm not sure it is worth it, but she won't quit cause she knows or at least thinks we will be disappointed in her. I think I need to talk with the hubby, I don't want to watch her spirit be broken because of a job. It's not like she makes good more and its over 30 miles one way. I just feel so bad for her.

As a side note my friend told me about a call where a lady wanted credit because it took an hour of her time to figure out what was wrong with her phone...really? I have never thought to ask that question. lol 

by on May. 20, 2012 at 1:15 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
SuperWoman8
by on May. 20, 2012 at 1:21 PM

I hear ya! I did customer service for years and that's the way it works!

I don't have a great deal to suggest here, since I can't really name a job where you work with the public where you don't have to put up with that. Though help lines like that can be the worst. The fact that you stick out a job like that can look good to future employers.

I do comend your daughter for being so strong with her job. I hope that one way or another it works out for her. good luck!

luckysevenwow
by Platinum Member on May. 20, 2012 at 1:26 PM

Oh I know I worked in customer service for years and rude customers never really bothered me. I think the problem is that a lot of people are slightly nicer in person, kinda like the net where people feel free to be rude. Had what she told me happened in person, I guarantee the man would have been arrested!

Quoting SuperWoman8:

I hear ya! I did customer service for years and that's the way it works!

I don't have a great deal to suggest here, since I can't really name a job where you work with the public where you don't have to put up with that. Though help lines like that can be the worst. The fact that you stick out a job like that can look good to future employers.

I do comend your daughter for being so strong with her job. I hope that one way or another it works out for her. good luck!

PinkieRed
by on May. 20, 2012 at 2:08 PM
I'm sorry, people can be so inexcusably nasty sometimes!

I've had a lot of jobs working with the public, including one (temp job) with my county's board of elections. I worked in the registration department, and 90% of the job involved answering phone calls from voters. That was incredibly stressful more often than not.

It seems like a lot of people forget that they are talking to a real live person with feelings when they make these phone calls.

Some people can handle that kind of abuse and let it roll off, and some can't, and that's nothing to be ashamed of. Your daughter has to do what's right for her. Hopefully if she decides to leave that job, she can find another job, first. Sadly too many employers now don't want to hire anyone who is currently unemployed. It seems to be easier to find another job while you already have one.

Good luck to your daughter.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
annie2244
by Silver Member on May. 20, 2012 at 5:27 PM
3 moms liked this

This is a fab teachable moment. This will not be the last job she will realize is a mistake. It would be a great life lesson for her to learn to take action to be happy. This job isn't the only job around. She should make a fairly aggressive action plan to get a new job. She should tell everyone (everyone) she knows she looking for a job and specifically ask them to let her know of anything they hear of. She should brainstorm with you and her friends all the possible places she could work, and then have a plan to call, apply, go in person and meet the managers, etc. Too many people stay in jobs they hate. Help her not be this kind of person. Life's too short. Take action and be happy.

tyfry7496
by on May. 20, 2012 at 5:56 PM
I would have warned the man that if he continued to cuss at me I would disconnect the call. And then if jr continued, I would hang up and key them fire me. There is NO reason to deal with that kind of treatment.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
luckysevenwow
by Platinum Member on May. 20, 2012 at 6:00 PM
1 mom liked this

That's it exactly. I know I can get flustered also but I always try to remember that they don;t own the company; only work for them so that limits what they can do.

Quoting PinkieRed:

I'm sorry, people can be so inexcusably nasty sometimes!

I've had a lot of jobs working with the public, including one (temp job) with my county's board of elections. I worked in the registration department, and 90% of the job involved answering phone calls from voters. That was incredibly stressful more often than not.

It seems like a lot of people forget that they are talking to a real live person with feelings when they make these phone calls.

Some people can handle that kind of abuse and let it roll off, and some can't, and that's nothing to be ashamed of. Your daughter has to do what's right for her. Hopefully if she decides to leave that job, she can find another job, first. Sadly too many employers now don't want to hire anyone who is currently unemployed. It seems to be easier to find another job while you already have one.

Good luck to your daughter.

luckysevenwow
by Platinum Member on May. 20, 2012 at 6:02 PM

She's been looking, it's just hard out here right now. We have a couple of leads so tomorrow she is going to follow up on them. I'm proud on one hand that she just isn't quitting but at the same time I saw in her face what that other person did to her and as mom, it was hard.

Quoting annie2244:

This is a fab teachable moment. This will not be the last job she will realize is a mistake. It would be a great life lesson for her to learn to take action to be happy. This job isn't the only job around. She should make a fairly aggressive action plan to get a new job. She should tell everyone (everyone) she knows she looking for a job and specifically ask them to let her know of anything they hear of. She should brainstorm with you and her friends all the possible places she could work, and then have a plan to call, apply, go in person and meet the managers, etc. Too many people stay in jobs they hate. Help her not be this kind of person. Life's too short. Take action and be happy.

luckysevenwow
by Platinum Member on May. 20, 2012 at 6:04 PM

I was honestly a little surprised that she didn't just hang up one him, I know I would have lol

Quoting tyfry7496:

I would have warned the man that if he continued to cuss at me I would disconnect the call. And then if jr continued, I would hang up and key them fire me. There is NO reason to deal with that kind of treatment.

fantasticfour
by Grumpy on May. 20, 2012 at 6:35 PM

How about encouraging her to find a new job on her days off?  Just quitting a job, even your first job looks bad on an application.  This way she's employeed, has the money, and she can give her side of it in an interview on why she wants a new job.

atlmom2
by Susie on May. 20, 2012 at 7:38 PM

I worked a job for over 3 years where I got cussed out and hung up on constantly.  I was in the my early 20's.  It was at Indiana Bell (before all the Bell's split up).  It was in repair service.  The whole office I worked at took every repair call for the state of Indiana.  I mean, it was a great paying job.  Minimum wage was somewhere around $2.25 in 1981 when I started there.  I was making double that with time and a half for overtime and double time for Sunday's and double time and a half for holiday pay.  I also had awesome benefits also with a pension plan and 401K.   We just had to take the crap from the people and  tune them out and know they were NOT really mad at us.  If they were very unreasonable they would go over for a supervisor to talk to the really asshole ones. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN