Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

High School Finals

Posted by on May. 22, 2012 at 7:22 AM
  • 13 Replies

Are there any suggestions on how to lower the stress level and anxiety during finals?

by on May. 22, 2012 at 7:22 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
LCLMBSC
by on May. 22, 2012 at 7:47 AM
1 mom liked this
I guess it depends on the child...my son is not one to have test anxiety, but he does study his butt off...whether he behaves outside of school or not...Nutrition is supposed to be key. Also, I have to make mine take study breaks to do something outside.

What does your child enjoy? A favorite restaurant, a trip to the mall, etc. with just the two of you may be a good way to break up some stress.

Many parents think that they need to make the kids study, study, study...actually, as a former LD teacher, we learned it's just as important to take breaks to relax.

Good luck!
Lisa
atlmom2
by Susie on May. 22, 2012 at 8:39 AM

I have no idea. My oldest had some stress but only when she knew she was on the verge of a D in a class due to a bad grade on a final.  Otherwise she didn't care and didn't really stress much really.  Youngest who is a senior now doesn't stress at all because she has ALL A's right now.  She knows she will fail the physics final just like everyone does about so she will get a B and doesn't care.  All other grades are high enough that even with a C on the finals she will still get A's in the classes  so its very low stress for next weeks finals.  She anticipates getting A's or B's on most finals.  Most you can't really study for and some 1/2 the final grade is a project which boosts your final grade anyway. 

rkoloms
by on May. 22, 2012 at 8:45 AM
1 mom liked this

Frankly, the best way is to start early. Make notecards at least once a week. Timeline a study schedule at least one month in advance. If there is a study guide (some teachers hand them out, or post them online), remember that it is a guide, not the final word.

I have to say, with only two weeks between AP exams and finals, with all of the semester projects added in, I really hate this time of year

boys2men2soon
by Kimberly on May. 22, 2012 at 11:09 AM

My oldest son has severe test anxiety.   Trust me, if the word test is mentioned, he will fail.    He learned long ago to pad his grades.   He makes sure he has high enough grades so the tests won't kill his GPA.   

Aside from simply being prepared, the best advice I have to relieve the stress is asking "What is the worst that can happen?   I promise, A or F, the sun will come up tomorrow....and I will still love you"

fantasticfour
by Grumpy on May. 22, 2012 at 11:32 AM

I have no idea.  I used to cram the night before a final and do fine but stressed over it alot.  My kids don't have finals,  haven't in years.  They exempt out of them.

Edwards99Fan
by on May. 22, 2012 at 11:57 AM

I wouldn't know how to answer this one.  At our school, if the students have an "A" average and haven't missed more that 2 days, a "B" average and haven't missed more that 1 day, or a "C" average and haven't missed any days--they are exempt from finals.  My daughter hasn't had to take a "final" yet but did take a mid term her sophomore year for missing 6 days for the flu.

MrsBLB
by Missi on May. 22, 2012 at 12:18 PM

This

Quoting boys2men2soon:

My oldest son has severe test anxiety.   Trust me, if the word test is mentioned, he will fail.    He learned long ago to pad his grades.   He makes sure he has high enough grades so the tests won't kill his GPA.   

Aside from simply being prepared, the best advice I have to relieve the stress is asking "What is the worst that can happen?   I promise, A or F, the sun will come up tomorrow....and I will still love you"

drfink
by Emily on May. 22, 2012 at 1:22 PM

Quoting fantasticfour:

I have no idea.  I used to cram the night before a final and do fine but stressed over it alot.  My kids don't have finals,  haven't in years.  They exempt out of them.

My kids would be so jealous.Our school only offers excemptions second semester senior year.

Yay for your kids.Good job they're doing !

drfink
by Emily on May. 22, 2012 at 1:24 PM

Agree and agree

Quoting rkoloms:

Frankly, the best way is to start early. Make notecards at least once a week. Timeline a study schedule at least one month in advance. If there is a study guide (some teachers hand them out, or post them online), remember that it is a guide, not the final word.

I have to say, with only two weeks between AP exams and finals, with all of the semester projects added in, I really hate this time of year

drfink
by Emily on May. 22, 2012 at 1:34 PM

We tell them from the first day of school each year stay prepped ,do well all year and finals don't have to be a nightmare.The first set they ever take they think we are clueless and get very stressed.Then find out it is mostly true and only moderately stress after that.

Our school offers academic clinics the last month to get very small group help in understanding.They take place during our  all campus hour lunch.I think without some stress mine wouldn't attend the ones they need . So I think some stress can be helpful.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)