Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Moms with Teens Moms with Teens

Do Rich Kids Deserve Scholarships?

Posted by on May. 29, 2012 at 11:17 AM
  • 137 Replies

Kids of Rich Parents Deserve College Scholarships Too

Posted by Jeanne Sager

P. Diddy Justin CombsJustin Combs should be on top of the world right now. P. Diddy's son just graduated from high school with a 3.75 GPA, and an offer from UCLA to play on their Division 1 football team. They've even offered him a scholarship to sweeten the deal. So what kind of world are we living in where a kid like that is getting beat up in the press and asked to give the money back?

A world where we still put more emphasis on money than we do kids' own abilities. Hey, America! This is why kids are lazy!

Here's the thing. Justin Combs has a rich daddy. And there are people, a lot of people, who are PO'd that a rich kid is getting a $54,000 scholarship to a state institution when so many other kids are struggling under the weight of student loans. As a mom who probably has less money in her bank account than Diddy has hanging around his neck at any given moment, I'll cop to a little jealousy myself.

That's why I tell my kid she has to work, and work hard. That's what all kids are supposed to do to get ahead, right?

But if kids like Justin Combs have to give back their scholarship money, and their parents are made to pay their tuition, we're telling them the exact opposite. What does that say to a child who worked hard to get good grades and excel on the field? It tells them there is no reason to have a work ethic. Because whatever you do, you're judged not on your accomplishments but the size of your parents' wallet.

Let's flip this, shall we? Imagine Justin was a poor kid with bad grades and zero athletic talent who cut school and did nothing to improve himself. Would you tell a school they need to give him a scholarship because his parents can't pay, and his lack of motivation does not matter? Of course not.

As parents, it's our job to raise our kids to succeed without us. Once they're ready for college, they must be able to survive on their own merits. The mettle of our character, the size of our bank accounts, all of that becomes moot when we push a child out the doors and into the world. They are their own person, to be judged on what they can do.

What do you think should happen with Justin Combs' scholarship?

Should P. Diddy be paying UCLA?

by on May. 29, 2012 at 11:17 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
02nana07
by Ida on May. 29, 2012 at 11:25 AM
1 mom liked this

I think it depends my mother had plenty of money but wouldn't help me I worked 2 jobs to put myself through college because I couldn't get help because they counted her income.  A parents income and money doesn't belong to the person going to college so it shouldn't count against the child.

atlmom2
by Susie on May. 29, 2012 at 11:59 AM
2 moms liked this

Need based no.  Merit, or sports, hell yes.  why not?  My dd doesn't need a dime but she got $10,500 a year.  It was on her merit.  My in laws had 3 kids in college and not much money so dh worked and paid every dime of his college through merit, need based scholarships, or working 2-3 jobs during the summers and working during school. 

Come join me at The Duggars Debate, The Good, The Bad and the Ugly

PinkieRed
by on May. 29, 2012 at 12:05 PM
9 moms liked this
If the school is offering Justin the money solely based on his grades and athletic ability AND would do the same for a poor kid with the same qualifications, I see nothing wrong with it.

Now, it would be nice if his dad, given how rich he is, would donate some money to the school for scholarships for students who aren't from wealthy families, who might not be able to afford to go to college otherwise.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
luckysevenwow
by Platinum Member on May. 29, 2012 at 12:10 PM
I agree. However, dad should do it because he wants to. Not because he feels pressure to.

Quoting PinkieRed:

If the school is offering Justin the money solely based on his grades and athletic ability AND would do the same for a poor kid with the same qualifications, I see nothing wrong with it.

Now, it would be nice if his dad, given how rich he is, would donate some money to the school for scholarships for students who aren't from wealthy families, who might not be able to afford to go to college otherwise.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
lnrmom
by on May. 29, 2012 at 12:24 PM
2 moms liked this

Congratulations to him! That's hard work and dedication to earn that scholarship. Need based scholarships he would not qualify for, but that is a merit scholarship. He qualified. He deserves it.

atlmom2
by Susie on May. 29, 2012 at 12:28 PM

I posted this on another board and someone said every single scholarship should be on need only.  I said it takes incentives away to do well for kids who know they will not qualify.  I think people need to realize that most middle class kids don't qualify for need based aide.  Parents really need to be poor for most need based aide.

fantasticfour
by Grumpy on May. 29, 2012 at 12:43 PM

I'm against sports scholarships completely so it doesn't matter if the person has money.

atlmom2
by Susie on May. 29, 2012 at 12:48 PM

College sports would go away because many don't have great grades and or money usually.  Pro sports would fizzle as well too probably.  Also schools depend on the sports money also. 

Quoting fantasticfour:

I'm against sports scholarships completely so it doesn't matter if the person has money.

Come join me at The Duggars Debate, The Good, The Bad and the Ugly

missheathyr
by on May. 29, 2012 at 12:48 PM

I think in the case of scholarships based on merits any child should be able to get one, rich or not. Because they have worked hard to achieve something.

MrsBLB
by on May. 29, 2012 at 12:49 PM
2 moms liked this

He earned it, he should have it.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN