Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Moms with Teens Moms with Teens

Do Rich Kids Deserve Scholarships?

Kids of Rich Parents Deserve College Scholarships Too

Posted by Jeanne Sager

P. Diddy Justin CombsJustin Combs should be on top of the world right now. P. Diddy's son just graduated from high school with a 3.75 GPA, and an offer from UCLA to play on their Division 1 football team. They've even offered him a scholarship to sweeten the deal. So what kind of world are we living in where a kid like that is getting beat up in the press and asked to give the money back?

A world where we still put more emphasis on money than we do kids' own abilities. Hey, America! This is why kids are lazy!

Here's the thing. Justin Combs has a rich daddy. And there are people, a lot of people, who are PO'd that a rich kid is getting a $54,000 scholarship to a state institution when so many other kids are struggling under the weight of student loans. As a mom who probably has less money in her bank account than Diddy has hanging around his neck at any given moment, I'll cop to a little jealousy myself.

That's why I tell my kid she has to work, and work hard. That's what all kids are supposed to do to get ahead, right?

But if kids like Justin Combs have to give back their scholarship money, and their parents are made to pay their tuition, we're telling them the exact opposite. What does that say to a child who worked hard to get good grades and excel on the field? It tells them there is no reason to have a work ethic. Because whatever you do, you're judged not on your accomplishments but the size of your parents' wallet.

Let's flip this, shall we? Imagine Justin was a poor kid with bad grades and zero athletic talent who cut school and did nothing to improve himself. Would you tell a school they need to give him a scholarship because his parents can't pay, and his lack of motivation does not matter? Of course not.

As parents, it's our job to raise our kids to succeed without us. Once they're ready for college, they must be able to survive on their own merits. The mettle of our character, the size of our bank accounts, all of that becomes moot when we push a child out the doors and into the world. They are their own person, to be judged on what they can do.

What do you think should happen with Justin Combs' scholarship?

Should P. Diddy be paying UCLA?

by on May. 29, 2012 at 11:17 AM
Replies (61-70):
nikabear
by on May. 30, 2012 at 7:42 AM
1 mom liked this
I am not understanding.....what is the big deal? He earned the scholarship based on his grades and athletic abilities......it had nothing to do with his dad. Justin earned it fair and square and he should be congratulated. If his dad wasnt diddy would this evem matter????
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
atlmom2
by Susie on May. 30, 2012 at 8:52 AM
2 moms liked this

They still have minimum gpa's to make through the NCAA and if they do not they are out. The really "dumb" kids do not go to college anyway.  There are a handful that go directly to the NBA or the NFL.  These athletes that do go pro really need a college education just to be able to run and know how to be able to handle the money they make and then make something of themselves after their usually short pro career. 

Quoting fantasticfour:

There's the problem right there.  Why should a kid without the grades be giving a college education while those with the grades have to scrape by just because they aren't talented with a ball?  That's my problem. College sports should not be the best part of a school.  It should be the minds the school turns out.

Quoting atlmom2:

College sports would go away because many don't have great grades and or money usually.  Pro sports would fizzle as well too probably.  Also schools depend on the sports money also. 

Quoting fantasticfour:

I'm against sports scholarships completely so it doesn't matter if the person has money.

Come join me at The Duggars Debate, The Good, The Bad and the Ugly

Threes.Company
by on May. 30, 2012 at 8:53 AM
1 mom liked this

If it is based on merit, then absolutely.

Mom2GM
by on May. 30, 2012 at 9:05 AM
1 mom liked this

the scholarship is for the child that is going to college - should they not be rewarded for their hardwork in hs????? we have a pre-paid college plan for our son that will pay for an in-state college - he may want to go to school out-of-state and if he does - we have told him he will need to pay for the difference with scholarships - is that wrong???? 

fantasticfour
by Grumpy on May. 30, 2012 at 9:07 AM

Quoting lucky2Beeme:

Quoting fantasticfour:

Quoting lucky2Beeme:

Quoting fantasticfour:

I'm against sports scholarships completely so it doesn't matter if the person has money.

Why ?

Because alot of kids who go on sports scholarships aren't all that interested in academics.  Why not just have them go straight into sports instead of taking scholarships that could go to those who qualify academicly but didn't receive one because the football team wanted this prize kid?

you realize sports make a lot of money for most colleges right ?

Sure, but sports should not be held higher than academics.

atlmom2
by Susie on May. 30, 2012 at 9:11 AM

Quoting fantasticfour:

Quoting lucky2Beeme:

Quoting fantasticfour:

Quoting lucky2Beeme:

Quoting fantasticfour:

Why ?

Because alot of kids who go on sports scholarships aren't all that interested in academics.  Why not just have them go straight into sports instead of taking scholarships that could go to those who qualify academicly but didn't receive one because the football team wanted this prize kid?

you realize sports make a lot of money for most colleges right ?

Sure, but sports should not be held higher than academics.

Sports make more money for the school than anything else does.  Can you imagine the cost of colllege without sports?  Say double the tuition?

Come join me at The Duggars Debate, The Good, The Bad and the Ugly

atlmom2
by Susie on May. 30, 2012 at 9:14 AM

Someone on the other post in another board said Diddy probably pays umteen times the normal person just in taxes also.  IS that fair also?  He probably supports many people just in his taxes he pays. Life isn't fair and never will be.  Merit is merit.  Need is need.  2 different things. 

Juanita679
by on May. 30, 2012 at 9:16 AM
bump

FindersKeepers
by on May. 30, 2012 at 9:55 AM

My point is that just because someone is wealthy doesn't mean they do not deserve what they qualified for...

If you earn a low interest rate with your low credit score or low auto insurance with your good driving history... you DESERVE those discounts.   Someone with good grades and tremendous athletic ability who earns a scholarship... DESERVES that scholarship.    The fact that his dad is famous should not matter.

Quoting brlee1115:

The child didnt earn anything. Her mother did everything for her. Big difference.

Quoting FindersKeepers:

Why is it wrong?    The school costs $54,000 per year.... ... So per you, they should pay $216,000 just because they have money even though the child earned a scholarship.

Your old bosses family saved themselves a lot of money by doing the work to apply for scholarships... and if they were loaded then her daughter had to qualify for all of them on merit.    Anyone and their child can do this... it isn't like there is some secret code... do the work, take the time to apply for scholarships.  

If at any time in your life you won a prize, used a coupon, were given a gift or found something that you could have afforded to BUY.... then for your view to be accurate you should have given the money or item to a needy person and paid for one for yourself.  

Quoting brlee1115:

I think anybody who earned it, should get it. However, if your parents can pay for the tuition without blinking an eye, I think they should give it to someone that's less fortunate.

My old boss was loaded, and so was her husband. She did every scholarship profect for her daughter, and got her entire college tuition paid for! Very wrong, since they could both afford it.

hatinnd
by on May. 30, 2012 at 10:05 AM
2 moms liked this

Anyone see the story today about the young boy who WORKED for and EARNED a trip to Disney - AND THEN GAVE IT AWAY???

That's CHARACTER.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)