Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Moms with Teens Moms with Teens

Do Rich Kids Deserve Scholarships?

Kids of Rich Parents Deserve College Scholarships Too

Posted by Jeanne Sager

P. Diddy Justin CombsJustin Combs should be on top of the world right now. P. Diddy's son just graduated from high school with a 3.75 GPA, and an offer from UCLA to play on their Division 1 football team. They've even offered him a scholarship to sweeten the deal. So what kind of world are we living in where a kid like that is getting beat up in the press and asked to give the money back?

A world where we still put more emphasis on money than we do kids' own abilities. Hey, America! This is why kids are lazy!

Here's the thing. Justin Combs has a rich daddy. And there are people, a lot of people, who are PO'd that a rich kid is getting a $54,000 scholarship to a state institution when so many other kids are struggling under the weight of student loans. As a mom who probably has less money in her bank account than Diddy has hanging around his neck at any given moment, I'll cop to a little jealousy myself.

That's why I tell my kid she has to work, and work hard. That's what all kids are supposed to do to get ahead, right?

But if kids like Justin Combs have to give back their scholarship money, and their parents are made to pay their tuition, we're telling them the exact opposite. What does that say to a child who worked hard to get good grades and excel on the field? It tells them there is no reason to have a work ethic. Because whatever you do, you're judged not on your accomplishments but the size of your parents' wallet.

Let's flip this, shall we? Imagine Justin was a poor kid with bad grades and zero athletic talent who cut school and did nothing to improve himself. Would you tell a school they need to give him a scholarship because his parents can't pay, and his lack of motivation does not matter? Of course not.

As parents, it's our job to raise our kids to succeed without us. Once they're ready for college, they must be able to survive on their own merits. The mettle of our character, the size of our bank accounts, all of that becomes moot when we push a child out the doors and into the world. They are their own person, to be judged on what they can do.

What do you think should happen with Justin Combs' scholarship?

Should P. Diddy be paying UCLA?

by on May. 29, 2012 at 11:17 AM
Replies (11-20):
jinxmom
by Bronze Member on May. 29, 2012 at 3:03 PM

Keep it he earned it

whitedaisies
by on May. 29, 2012 at 3:08 PM
4 moms liked this

it's a very double edged sword - yes he deserves it for working so hard, but i kind of blame the school. maybe an award or recognition ceremony would have been just as flattering in this situation. my theory is only so much scholarship and grant money is distributed. it could have gone to another student with the same gpa that could actually benefit from the scholarship. if justin was accepted to the college anyway and chose to go there, his dad would have no problem paying the tuition. many kids have to make these decisions based on affordability.

atlmom2
by Susie on May. 29, 2012 at 3:15 PM
1 mom liked this
It would open up a can of worms if all is need based. My. DD and many others would get nothing and no incentive to do well. That makes the poor kids entitled and I dont agree. They get aid others cant get already.

Quoting whitedaisies:

it's a very double edged sword - yes he deserves it for working so hard, but i kind of blame the school. maybe an award or recognition ceremony would have been just as flattering in this situation. my theory is only so much scholarship and grant money is distributed. it could have gone to another student with the same gpa that could actually benefit from the scholarship. if justin was accepted to the college anyway and chose to go there, his dad would have no problem paying the tuition. many kids have to make these decisions based on affordability.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mumsy2three
by Shauna on May. 29, 2012 at 4:03 PM

I agree that if he earned it he should get it ~rich or not.

PinkieRed
by on May. 29, 2012 at 4:06 PM
1 mom liked this
I get what she's (the other mom) is saying though.

What if UCLA had a choice between giving a $54,000 scholarship to a qualified studen from an average middle-class family, who can't qualify for need based aid, but can pay little or nothing towards their kid's tuition OR could give that $54,000 to an equally qualified kid from a rich and/or famous family? Would it be OK to choose to give it to the kid from the rich family just because of the prestige they'll bring to the school?

And I'm certainly not saying all scholarships should be needs based, but, shouldn't doing well enough academically to get into the college of your choice be motivation enough to get good grades (for kids from well off families who don't need financial aid)?

As far as sports scholarships go, I don't have a problem with them as long as student athletes are held to the same academic standards as any other scholarship student, and if equal money is given out for academic scholarships.

Quoting atlmom2:

It would open up a can of worms if all is need based. My. DD and many others would get nothing and no incentive to do well. That makes the poor kids entitled and I dont agree. They get aid others cant get already.

Quoting whitedaisies:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Hottmomma607
by Trica on May. 29, 2012 at 5:09 PM
I agree!! If the child(rich)didn't work hard then his parents can pay for his school! I think any child that worked hard deserves a schorlarship. Future world leaders! :-D

Quoting MrsBLB:

He earned it, he should have it.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Hottmomma607
by Trica on May. 29, 2012 at 5:13 PM
Poor kid vs. Rich kid both kids have the same grades&qualifications then it shouldn't be a choice! If thats the case?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
atlmom2
by Susie on May. 29, 2012 at 5:13 PM

A poor kid that has worked hard will most likely get way more money than the rich kid because they can get need based and merit based aid.  Poor kid with a 4.0 and rich kid with 4.0, poor kid wins for sure on the aid. 

Quoting PinkieRed:

I get what she's (the other mom) is saying though.

What if UCLA had a choice between giving a $54,000 scholarship to a qualified studen from an average middle-class family, who can't qualify for need based aid, but can pay little or nothing towards their kid's tuition OR could give that $54,000 to an equally qualified kid from a rich and/or famous family? Would it be OK to choose to give it to the kid from the rich family just because of the prestige they'll bring to the school?

And I'm certainly not saying all scholarships should be needs based, but, shouldn't doing well enough academically to get into the college of your choice be motivation enough to get good grades (for kids from well off families who don't need financial aid)?

As far as sports scholarships go, I don't have a problem with them as long as student athletes are held to the same academic standards as any other scholarship student, and if equal money is given out for academic scholarships.

Quoting atlmom2:

Quoting whitedaisies:

Come join me at The Duggars Debate, The Good, The Bad and the Ugly

Hottmomma607
by Trica on May. 29, 2012 at 5:16 PM
1 mom liked this
I was thinking this was a normal "rich kid"! LOL Upper middle class!! Filfthy Diddy,Dirty rich! LOL But its not the kids money its his parents so he has to earn his own way!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
brlee1115
by on May. 29, 2012 at 5:20 PM
1 mom liked this

I think anybody who earned it, should get it. However, if your parents can pay for the tuition without blinking an eye, I think they should give it to someone that's less fortunate.

My old boss was loaded, and so was her husband. She did every scholarship profect for her daughter, and got her entire college tuition paid for! Very wrong, since they could both afford it.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN