Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Moms with Teens Moms with Teens

facebook for teens??

Posted by on Jun. 4, 2012 at 7:42 PM
  • 24 Replies
At what age do you feel is ok for a teen to have a facebook account? My 12 yr old daughter wants a facebook amount but her dad and I think she's to young.
by on Jun. 4, 2012 at 7:42 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
carly214
by on Jun. 4, 2012 at 7:44 PM
1 mom liked this

the guidelines for facebook say 13.  You would have to lie about her age to get one before that.  

MrsBLB
by Missi on Jun. 4, 2012 at 7:48 PM
2 moms liked this

You know her best.  Trust your instincts.

Momabear455
by on Jun. 4, 2012 at 7:52 PM

12 is the facebook age but as a parent I definately would delay this, once she gets on she will not want to get off.  My kids want to live on the thing.  Also no more communicating by phone, because facebook replaces this(which to me isn't really talking at all).  It's best to keep them free from facebook as long as possible!!  From one parent to another!

atlmom2
by Susie on Jun. 4, 2012 at 7:56 PM

No way.  Not unless you will monitor it every single day.  I say HS age, 14 is ok. 

new.identity
by on Jun. 4, 2012 at 8:21 PM

I agree. I tried this with DD and regret it! She lost all computer privileges since March. Not until she's 16, maybe. 

Quoting Momabear455:

12 is the facebook age but as a parent I definately would delay this, once she gets on she will not want to get off.  My kids want to live on the thing.  Also no more communicating by phone, because facebook replaces this(which to me isn't really talking at all).  It's best to keep them free from facebook as long as possible!!  From one parent to another!

squeekers
by Member on Jun. 4, 2012 at 8:23 PM

my teenager got her own facebook account at age 14.

DropZoneMom
by on Jun. 4, 2012 at 9:23 PM
1 mom liked this

My 11-year-old DS and 13-year-old DD both have pages (DD got hers at 11 as well).   I have their passwords (they don't know them), so they can't even sign on unless I am sitting there to log them in.   I approve all of their friend requests, monitor up their privacy settings, have blocked 'farmville', socialcam, and all the other mind-numbing games and aps, and keep a close eye on their instant messaging.   My hope is that, over the next few years, they will learn what is appropriate & what is not (we talk about this a LOT), and they will use FB responsibly when they're finally using it on their own.

Yes -- I know the 'official' FB age is 13, and mine were both "underaged" when they started.   Most of our family is out of state, so keeping in touch with them was our initial goal.   However, I've since learned that several of my kids' friends -- ones who are "banned" from using FB by their parents -- are doing it anyway.   Kids these days are very tech saavy -- and they have no trouble settting up their own email accounts through Google or Yahoo, etc., then setting up a 'dummy' FB page.  If your child is generally a good & responsible kid, then trust her -- as long as she continues to behave that way.   I'd much rather keep that line of communication open with my child than have her feel she has to go behind my back.

As with many things, when it comes to raising my kids, I'd rather educate than legislate.  :)

fammatthews4
by Trisha on Jun. 4, 2012 at 9:24 PM

Well for one the FB rules say 13 so 12 is definitely too young.  After that you need to keep in mind your child's maturity, once you decide she is ready then make sure you set rules on what you find appropriate or not and make sure you monitor her page.

DropZoneMom
by on Jun. 4, 2012 at 9:25 PM

My kids don't use FB excessively, because they're not allowed to.   They get one hour of computer time per day.   And if they ask for more, we say "NO".   It's really quite easy.  :)

Quoting Momabear455:

SugarrCane
Need to finish back to school shopping!
Yesterday at 10:21 PM
by Member on Jun. 5, 2012 at 12:53 PM

Quoting squeekers:

my teenager got her own facebook account at age 14.

Same here.  My son was 14.  It was the summer before starting h.s. and he wanted to keep in touch with his friends from middle school.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)