Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Do you have a teen like this?

Posted by on Jun. 7, 2012 at 12:55 PM
  • 47 Replies

How late do your teens sleep in?  I have always had an early riser.  I mean school days 6 am & weekends during school the latest 7 am.  Now during Summer she is up at the same time.  I make her stay in her room now till 7 and read or whatever because I think it is rediculous for her to be up that early in the Summer time.  Am I wrong to be this way? Are other teens this way too? I don't know ANY.  All her friends sleep in and others teens I've known in the past all sleep in.  She stays up late and it makes no difference. She has always been this way... any clue how to change this if it is a pattern esp.

by on Jun. 7, 2012 at 12:55 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
lucky2Beeme
by Gold Member on Jun. 7, 2012 at 12:57 PM
8 moms liked this

Why make her stay in her room. Let her get up and start her day as long as she doesnt wake up the whole house. This way she can get her chores done and still have a full day to do stuff.

PurpleHazey
by Angie on Jun. 7, 2012 at 2:01 PM

Sure do...but now sence they are out of school it is time to get up early!

sunflowers12
by on Jun. 7, 2012 at 2:41 PM
2 moms liked this
Well typically many teenager sleeping habbits change over time most of the time kids hit a certain age and dont get tired until later because as their brains grow n change chemical changes are sent these chemicals at different times... So this causes the sleep change.. but in your dds case sounds like she could just be a morning person.. dont think there's anything wrong with that...
fantasticfour
by Grumpy on Jun. 7, 2012 at 4:15 PM

Mine are like that too.  My 16 year old son will sleep in until 10 but the girls are early risers.

Mazie0723
by Member on Jun. 7, 2012 at 5:22 PM
1 mom liked this
My whole family is up by 8 most days our sleeping in is 9:30.lol I just don't understand why people would want to sleep their day/life away. My sil and nieces sleep till at least 1 pm. By that time we've had two meals and little ones are napping.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Not_A_Native
by Bronze Member on Jun. 7, 2012 at 5:51 PM
1 mom liked this

Why make her stay in her room?  I'm a morning person, my son is, none of the girls are.  Without an alarm, I'm up at 6 or 6:30 - and have been for years.  Even as a teenager.  I get more done in the morning, and I get more done ALL DAY if I get going early.  I really don't see an issue.

My girls - well, one still at home, another will be home from college for the summer.  I think it's late at 10, and roust them out of bed most of the time.  HATE the sleep in all morning thing.

drfink
by Emily on Jun. 7, 2012 at 5:59 PM

Depends on the kid. No one sleeps much past 9 even with out me waking them up .So in the summer I let them pick their own get up time.What can change is how late someone stays up.A couple of days of irritability showing through ,we have a chat ,I give them options of controlling themselves so they get enough sleep or I will help by taking all electronics.They tend to and follow  take the self control option.I have been known to check when texts took place or FB was posted.This is during summer .

jewel776
by on Jun. 7, 2012 at 6:16 PM
1 mom liked this

I would let her get up when she wants to get up. It's not like when they are 3 and you have to be up when they are. I applaud that she wants to get up and get moving. I think it is ridiculous that so many teens stay up til 4:00 am watching TV or playing video games and then sleep until 2:00 pm. You can't ever do anything with them. They eat breakfast at 3:00 so they don't eat dinner with the family. It is crazy.

dobrd
by on Jun. 7, 2012 at 7:26 PM

cat4458, You must have my DD twin, lol.... Weekends, summer vacatioms, school days, mine could go to sleep at 2am, but, still be up, ready to go to school by 7am.. I swear, our DD is half cat.. Our DD has twin boys now, still has the same up/down sleep she always had.. Our DD loves to draw things so, she'd hang out in her room till I got up then, she'd come out of her room.. Our kids knew to keep it quiet when all others were asleep, especially when they had friends over.. Our DD will always be this way I think.. I didn't try to change it though.. It didn't bother me.. I'd just leave her be w/this.. Doesn't hurt anything.. Take Care, Donna....

mumsy2three
by Shauna on Jun. 7, 2012 at 7:29 PM
1 mom liked this

My kids aren't like that but I have always been like that. It doesn't matter how long I stay up I am up by 6am every morning. It sucks~

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)