Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Moms with Teens Moms with Teens

Would you trust this?

Posted by   + Show Post

Do you let your dating aged teens alone in your house with their boyfriend or girlfriend?  I have a friend who does while she and he husband are not at home.  I don't know that we would but our child isn't older like that.  Just wondering what your views are?

by on Jun. 11, 2012 at 10:14 AM
Replies (11-20):
PosinourHarmony
by on Jun. 11, 2012 at 6:33 PM

I must be the odd ball here cause I have. My twins and their girlfriends have been left alone. No longer than like an hour or 2. I guess it just depends on your child. I have full trust in my kids and they've never given me a reason not to.

bizzeemom2717
by on Jun. 11, 2012 at 9:32 PM
1 mom liked this

I didn't until my DS and his Gf were seniors in high school and had been dating almost 2 years. I had to work, they were 2 legal adults at that point and both very responsible. Before then, no way. My 14 y/o DD hell no.

Not_A_Native
by Bronze Member on Jun. 11, 2012 at 10:44 PM
1 mom liked this

Older teens yes.  I have no great stakes in them remaining a virgin until - whatever - just that I don't have teen parents on my hands.  They are WELL aware of my feelings on this, know my feelings on abortion (better of 2 choices in most cases for teens), and that I will NOT support or raise a grandchild of a teen parent.  So far, so good - my boy is 30 (never married, no kids), my girls are 22, almost 19, and 17 - no pregnancy scares.

boys2men2soon
by Kimberly on Jun. 11, 2012 at 11:21 PM

Yes, I have for short periods of time, but they are not really alone....their were other teens here, as well.  I have run to the market or to a neighbors house.

wodntulk2kno1
by on Jun. 11, 2012 at 11:27 PM
Yes, I trust my kids alone. Well they are not fully alone in my house at all, my son keeps watch over his sister and their boyfriends when I am not home.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Ewa101
by Bronze Member on Jun. 12, 2012 at 7:31 AM
1 mom liked this

I work relatively early hours, so I was always home when my kids came home from school.  On the other hand, I also did not make it a point to hang around all the time when they had members of the opposite sex as guests.  First of all, I felt, if they wanted to have sex, they could do it anywhere, even in the car, or in the boyfriend's house, since I did not know whether the other mother was home.  So it came down to trust - to not wanting to have sex until they were ready, not wanting to have children, not wanting to contract some horrible disease.  And it worked out - my daughters are now 26 and 24, not married, but with steady boyfriends, no children in sight.  I have a son, 16 now, so far no girlfriends in sight, we'll see how this attitude works out for him.

malxslady
by on Jun. 12, 2012 at 9:10 AM

I would not allow  that in my house because you are just asking for trouble.

newtothismi
by on Jun. 12, 2012 at 10:17 AM
1 mom liked this

Teenagers do not have the capabilities to mentally go from action to consequence with life situations.  Its not their fault...that part of their brains have not developed to full capacity yet. 

We have 5 kids, four teens.  Because of some inappropriate behavior from our oldest, there are no "B"s in our house.

No girlfriends in Bedrooms, Basement or under a Blanket. (Our kids are boys with the youngest a girl) I dont believe that teen boys need "private visiting time" with their girlfriends..so they are not alone in our home and that negates any time in their rooms or basement living space.

Do the kids date and have their girlfriends over anyways...well 3 out of the four do.  The one...he never brings her over because they can "visit" at her parents home. Since he is my stepson, I really have no say in his activities.

Shea1967
by on Jun. 12, 2012 at 10:26 AM
I was not allowed unless my younger sister was around at all times. My kids will have the same rules. Teens are NOT mature enough and it doesn't matter HOW mature you think they are because if you think they are KNOW they are having sex while you are gone.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Shortblonde1976
by on Jun. 12, 2012 at 10:49 AM
Hey I was alone with my boyfriends when I was a teen and I never had sex until a month before I turned 18.... Lots of making out but no sex so it is not always true that they WILL have sex if left alone... I'm not sure how I will handle my own kids my daughter is 14 and boys that are our friends sons have been over and we don't allow the doors shut but they are downstairs. My other daughter who is 10 is also down there.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN